backpack choice for saddle hunting

NE FLORIDA in a small town called Palatka
looking to purchase a backpack for my saddle setup for gun hunting everything i currently run is lightweight and for archery hnting from it.
would like a pack that i could straps my steps to the outside of it and carry the saddle and platform in the pack while still having enough room for other gear. whats everyones setup look like

Bkimble

FNG
Tidewe makes a backpack that works great for saddle hunting.. this was my first year using it and it worked out great.. it’s has straps on bottom of back pack that work great for your steps.. it also has spot above your steps where your platform will strap on but not close enough to where they will be clanging together while u walk.. so that leaves the whole interior of your back pack for whatever gear u have.. I will take a pic of my setup if u are wanting to see how it looks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Andrewlonghi
Tidewe makes a backpack that works great for saddle hunting.. this was my first year using it and it worked out great.. it’s has straps on bottom of back pack that work great for your steps.. it also has spot above your steps where your platform will strap on but not close enough to where they will be clanging together while u walk.. so that leaves the whole interior of your back pack for whatever gear u have.. I will take a pic of my setup if u are wanting to see how it looks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Absolutely please

LCsmith

Lil-Rokslider
MR pop up. Pick the size you need based on how many layers you'll need to pack in. I have a 28 and wouldn't go any smaller.

I’d say anything with a external frame for packing out and choose a small daypack (2000in) for gear. MR, Kifaru, would be my picks.

ejm3

FNG
I currently have the Eberlestock X2. This year was the first year I used my saddle for gun hunting, previously had only done archery. The X2 is pretty good size and packs up my platform and sticks really nice (currently have Latitude carbon sticks and the X-wing platform) and leaves plenty of room for extra cold weather gear or whatever else you might need for gun season. I mostly hunt the UP of Michigan during gun season so extra layers are absolutely required. I've also done some out of state archery hunts and love the pack for all day sessions where I'm getting down and glassing/moving around during mid afternoon, so I need to carry in extra gear and layers. Eberlestock also sells a separate gun scabbard that attaches to your pack via molle webbing that I've got my eye on. I can try to take a picture later of my setup with the sticks and platform.

My only complaint is the overall size of the pack, but that's purely for early archery season when I'm trying to get in and out quick and not work up too much of a sweat. I'm currently looking around for a more streamlined setup for those quick hunts after work where I don't need a huge pack, so once I get that dialed in from early archery through late gun season. Currently leaning towards the Trophyline Platow pack for those situations.

ejm3

FNG
FYI I've seen Tenzing bags recommended on other forums but have never used one myself, but they have three different whitetail bags for 50% off on Camofire today.

nosajnh

FNG
I have used the MR Treehouse 38 for the last two seasons and am very happy with it. The fleece material is quiet and durable. I have seen some complain about the zippers however I have not had a problem with them. I open them slow and keep them lubed. One of the things that make it work for me is that I can get to my one stick with out taking off my pack when I get to the tree. The other thing I really like is that it has a built in tree strap so the first thing I do when I get to height is take the pack off and strap it to the tree without having to dig into a pouch to get a strap to hang it on and I can adjust the position of it independently of my HYS strap. You can see below where I used to hang it from a camjam and it would stick out more from the tree. There is plenty of room for clothing layers as well as flexable pockets on the side and a zippered lid that is accessible open or closed.

20221011_081430.4.jpg

20230915_124653.jpg20220924_085840.jpg

I use my Kifaru 14’r with a Sherman pocket for almost all of my whitetail hunts. I can pack a deer out if I need to along with anything else I might need. Sticks, platform, layers, climber,
c708c06e8986581cd49f27fbe5d535ae.jpg

whatever.

My Stryker on a duplex gets a ton of action too.
401439ada2fae8f381c5a80e242a79c3.jpg

b3c100e191500a9375d96076d0eb8aab.jpg

f77effabfb777bf23499de92dc43de46.jpg

989f351658639ada62b9c13f252adeda.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

After a ton of research I'm abut to buy an MR Pop-up 38 or 40 (need capability to carry very heavy layers, camera gear, etc.)

I use a badlands monster fanny pack for early-mid season hunts. For all day rut hunts or cold weather I run the first lite transfer pack. It’s big but fits all the warm layers and gear for long hikes into public. Trophyline platow pack looks awesome. Curious if the Tethrd M2 would suffice if you also turkey hunt. Seems like that is a nice lean and mean design.

OP
Andrewlonghi
MR popup. Short sticks and platform both fit easy in the load shelf leaving the whole pack free for any other stuff. Plus if you tag one you can carry it out. Using an 18 mostly, but I also have a 28 that fits more bulky warm clothes, etc.View attachment 654143
I like that setup, is it a older pack unless I'm over looking it I don't see on there website

Macintosh

WKR
Yeah, they stopped making the 18l size a few years ago. 28l is still pretty good though.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up with this pack like anything it had good and bad reviews, but i figured WTH View attachment 669836
I think you’re going to like it. I picked one up about halfway through this past season and it turned into my go-to. I have a MR Popup 38 that I had been using, and while I like that pack, the Platow is just easier to use for hauling platform/stand and sticks around, particularly when you’re unpacking it at the base of the tree.

It has more than enough space for gear and layers IMO. Normally had a puffy vest and softshell inside the main compartment and still had room to strap additional layers on top via the compression straps if needed.

I think my only complaint is the size of the water bottle pockets. It would have been nice to have them fit a 32oz Nalgene a little bit better, but it does work.

kal1431

FNG
I’ve ran both the Badlands Diablo Dos and Mystery Ranch Pintler the last 2 years. Both are great packs. The Pintler is a little bulky up in the tree but has lots of room for outer layers and anything else you’d need. Plus you can pack out meat with it.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
I used a MR Popup 28 for several years. I worked well.

This year I used an XOP Retrograde as a hybrid platform/stand with the saddle. It works great as a pack frame with a LW belt and shoulder straps. I strapped a Badlands Monster fanny pack to the shelf to hold "stuff"/saddle/etc, and used an Alps Outdoors compression/stuff sack strapped to the frame for heavy outer layers on cold days. On warmer days when fewer layers were needed I'd just strap a jacket to the frame. It worked really well... The Retrograde's weight is ~1 lb more than the popup...considering I had to carry a platform with the Popup, I think I ended up saving weight....or at least breaking even.