Katadyn vs sawyer, I choose katadyn

Two years ago I started backpacking and everyone was talking about the sawyer so I went with that. I recently got a katadyn hiker pro to try and I like it so much more for a few reason. It's so convienent to use with my bladder. I have quick connects and carry the katadyn in my long hunter lid and when I pass water it's easy to stop and fill. It seems to fill better than the gravity system, possibly because I actually pumping it in. I don't loosen straps or anything just connect and pump, I thinks it faster even. Second when using in small streams it's just so much easier. I put the draft filter where I want and pump. This is where the sawyer really fails. Last year when using a small stream I had to try and drag or fill the bag and this just stirred up all the crap in the small pool I was trying to use. Third cleaning seems easier. I just take it apart rinse down and air dry. The sawyer seemed to get slow and I've had to soak it in vinigar to get the flow back up, it still doesn't seem as fast as when it was new. So for me handsdown katadyn over the sawyer system

jmez

WKR
I bought a Sawyer mini but haven't used it yet. I'm still trying to figure out how it is really going to offer any advantage over my pump? Other than weight and price I really don't see any others. Price is a wash, I've had the pump a while.

Rocky

WKR
As long as there is running water I'll take the Sawyer over a pump for easy/weight/ and speed. If water supply is going to be an issue ( no running creek/river or streams so your water source is a mud puddle) the Sawyer can struggle.

OP
pyroducksx3
The sawyer worked well for me when I had bigger water. I might still take it if I knew where I was going and it had the water for it. It was nice to just fill the big zip and hang it but if I don't know the water situation I'll take the pump every time now .

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I am with you guys. I like the pump for those tough water situations, although I broke a PUR filter after pumping in gritty swamp water for a few days.

The Sawyer system is better for me in good water situations. I also like the steripen when water is really frequent.

I choose an option depending on the trip, and it is good to have options, IMO.

same here pyro. between the sawyer inline and platy gravity, the hiker pro has seen the most field time this year.
on last weekends trip, we were pumping water without even taking our packs off.

Last year I ran the Katadyn Hiker Pro exclusively, but this year I'm going to run the Sawyer Mini. I'm using it in-line on my bladder since the area I'm hunting will have good water sources that make it easy to fill the bladder. If going into an unknown area, I'd probably take the Hiker Pro and live with it's added weight and bulk. I do really like the Hiker Pro though and with the quick connects it's a breeze to refill a bladder without pulling it from the pack. If I was running my bladder in a hard to access area of my pack, I may not choose the Sawyer, but I'm running my bladder in a side pocket on an EMR-II, which makes access pretty simple. The Mini is a couple ounces, vs. 14 oz or something for the Hiker Pro (can't remember exactly).

whats the advantage to the sawer over the steripen? It kind of seems like if you can get clean water, the steripen would be the way to go, and if you cant... you can use the hiker.

Truth be told, i only have the hiker.... ironic name since it is more of a "in the drawer sitter" than a hiker. I almost never take it along and just drink direct from streams. So i am interested in a less bulky and lighter option that I will actually use.

I know.. bad idea... it will likely give me the fiery ass pee before long.

Joe

What do you guys do about freezing? I have the katadyne base camp, which is the same filter as the hiker pro, just gravity fed. It froze last year and I think my filter is ruined. I understand you can't let the sawyers freeze either.

OP
pyroducksx3
I haven't had to worry about freezing. I guess I would unscrew the filter make sure all the water was dumped and put it in the bottom of my sleeping bag at night. With the sawyer I guess try to blow it out and also put in the bottom of my sleeping bag

cmich

FNG
I just finished thru hiking the Appalachian Trail. In the beginning I saw a pump or two being used. However 99% of the hikers out there were using the sawyer mini, including me. The second most popular was aqua mira. 141 days of use on the mini and I never had a single problem. The flow is a little slow but if you keep the filter backflushed (I tried to at least every other night) there is no problem. If I were to do it again I would take the sawyer squeeze, which has a flow about twice as fast as the mini.

When the water was not flowing I would use my 700 ml cookpot to scoop the water to fill my dirty bag to filter. I've used the sawyer in many mediocre water situations.

Sawyer vs Steripen. No batteries to go bad in the field.

2ski

WKR
How do you know if your filter is ruined? I left mine in my garage all winter without draining, and took it out and drained it this summer. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Are we talking a better to be safe than sorry thing or an actual damage you can see?

dotman

WKR
I think the only way to ruin the sawyer is by it freezing. I store mine with my gear in my basement. I doubt your garage got below freezing but for piece of mind it might be worth replacing.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I broke a Sawyer 3 in 1 by freezing. I haven't froze a pump yet, but could see it happening. I really like the Steripen in freezing temps.

Dirtbag

WKR
I'm still using a Hiker pro and its worth the weight for me. Its only 11oz and considering water is a staple of life, if my pack is too heavy there is some other item I dont need as much that needs removed. Have never used a sawyer but they simply seem less versatile than a pump.

cmich

FNG
Wow! How long did it take you? We usually do a long weekend trip somewhere in Virginia. Can't imagine hiking the whole thing.

It took me 141 days. But with about 20 zero days probably ~120 days of hiking.