Kayak hunting POW

Titan_Bow

WKR
I grew up reading hunting stories from Traditional Bowhunter magazine and there are a handful of adventures that have always stuck with me and things I’ve always wanted to do. I remember reading an article about hunting bears from a kayak, and that’s always stuck with me as something I’d love to try some day. I do a lot of hunting and camping trips using my canoe. I don’t really find much information out there for this type or style of hunting, so I’m guessing it’s not all that popular?
Has anyone done this in SE Alaska / POW ? If so, I’d love to hear some details. What type of boat, what’s a realistic “range” for a moderately experienced paddler? Things to look out for or avoid, etc. etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a great way to get away. I know several people up there that do it and you will see kayaks all over up there at times from non hunters. The main concern is carrying your gear, and keeping it dry. Many of the inner channels up there are flat as glass, they do run hard at times when the tides come and go, but it's a great way to explore, and better yet, you don't need to really worry about securing your kayak on the tides as they're light enough to drag out, or in and they'd be great for entering the small bays and not spooking the bears. If you waited until June, you wouldn't have to salvage the meat, just the hide and skull which would be an easy haul out.

I've done a number of kayaking trips to the boundary waters with a fishing pole and I suppose it wouldn't have been that hard to pack a rifle. Problem I see is canoes have a much larger weight capacity for hauling meat out.

Can't help you on POW because I've never been there and don't know the conditions. That said, I kayak hunt. They'll get you places that other means won't as easily. Some things I've learned over the years is don't over gear just because you don't have to carry it on your back. I did this on a three week expedition some years back. Ended up having to jettison some things when the water got rough. Also over geared on a 10 day fishing trip. Nothing happened, but I had a lot of stuff I didn't use and that was annoying. My basic rule is if I wouldn't carry it backpacking it doesn't go on the yak. Except for a life jacket and such, of course. You're gonna get wet. No way around it. Be prepared. I personally prefer a sit on top angling kayak that has a layout as close to a cajun pirogue as I can get. Keeps me up a little higher but it sacrifices some speed and maneuverability. Easier to pack in and out on though. I use a 12 footer but a 14 would be better. I tie my shotgun or rifle vertical to the backrest on my seat and dry it off and maybe hit it with a quick douche of remoil spray or whatever. Wipe it down, double check everything, good to go. Tie everything down even if it floats. I got rolled once by a jetboat and helplessly watched my entire sleep system float away down river while I was busy trying not to die in a current/log jam related incident. Stuff happens. Dry bags are your friend. So is cordage. If you ever have to drag your yak across some riffles or get caught in low tide you'll be happier to throw a rope over shoulder than trying to drag it all hunched over by the front handle. That's a quick and dirty of some of my experiences anyway.

If Lewis and Clark could run class 5 in a dugout canoe and Shackleton could cross the Drake passage in a 22ft open boat, you can kayak hunt bears in AK. What a dream. Do it!!!

Myself and another member on this forum took kayaks down a reservoir to deer hunt, with light packs and rifles going in wasn't bad. When we came out a snow storm blew in and it was seriously sketchy, if we had deer with us it would have been terrifying. This was December in the north east btw. Gear and a bear in a kayak I feel would be pushing the limits but I'm all about trying new things. Give it a shot. Or at least test it with gear/rifle/bags to simulate meat.

Myself and another member on this forum took kayaks down a reservoir to deer hunt, with light packs and rifles going in wasn't bad. When we came out a snow storm blew in and it was seriously sketchy, if we had deer with us it would have been terrifying. This was December in the north east btw. Gear and a bear in a kayak I feel would be pushing the limits but I'm all about trying new things. Give it a shot. Or at least test it with gear/rifle/bags to simulate meat.

FLAK

WKR
I've hunted waterfowl in mine in inshore tidal waters.
Can be wonderful, or terrifying if the tide kicks in and
the wind starts gusting, pushing up 3 ft waves.

I grew up reading hunting stories from Traditional Bowhunter magazine and there are a handful of adventures that have always stuck with me and things I’ve always wanted to do. I remember reading an article about hunting bears from a kayak, and that’s always stuck with me as something I’d love to try some day. I do a lot of hunting and camping trips using my canoe. I don’t really find much information out there for this type or style of hunting, so I’m guessing it’s not all that popular?
Has anyone done this in SE Alaska / POW ? If so, I’d love to hear some details. What type of boat, what’s a realistic “range” for a moderately experienced paddler? Things to look out for or avoid, etc. etc.

I grew up reading stories about deer hunts from a canoe and since moving to the northeast I’ve been looking for that adventure! POW seems like a great place for a canoe/yak hunt! I’m interested to see how this goes for you! Best of luck!!

Also keep in mind POW went from OTC to draw, and it’s not easy to draw anymore at all. Also one of the stories I read was a fall hunt where back in the day you couldn’t hunt from the road system in the fall which pushed guys to find other ways to hunt.

kayak is very doable, I’d do spring over fall. Sadly, this years draw has ended so earliest spring hunt for you would be spring 2023. Plenty of time to plan, several kayak rental places there.

Mt Al

WKR
There are POW experts who post here, Glory lives there! I've done two week long trips to POW, mainly fishing but had a bear tag in my pocket.

You can and must do this, but as just stated, give it a test first. We we're on the inside passage out of Thorne Bay had a pretty decent skiff on our trip and the waves were sometimes pretty sketchy, not kayakable for sure. Other times for hours and days very smooth.

I'd look for lodges that are out of the way - or can transport you to a more remote place to launch from. Put in for the draw tag but head up anyway even if you're "just" fishing, 'cuz you're not "just" fishing - it's awesome.

With Steve R/Meat Eater showing his POW cabin, I'm guessing more and more people are going there but have zero proof if that's the case.

DO IT!

Cheechako

FNG
I’ve thought about doing the same thing around the Kenai peninsula after an experience or two hunting sea ducks and glassing from my sea kayak. Packing light seems really key and leaving yourself plenty of cargo space in the boat for your meat etc if you get one.
I would not try to lashing a carcass on top. A guy tried doing that on skilak lake a few years ago and almost drowned. The lower you can load your weight the better.
Greg Mchale also has some sweet river hunting videos for bears using a sea kayak that might give you some ideas.

LostArra

WKR
There are POW experts who post here, Glory lives there! I've done two week long trips to POW, mainly fishing but had a bear tag in my pocket.

You can and must do this, but as just stated, give it a test first. We we're on the inside passage out of Thorne Bay had a pretty decent skiff on our trip and the waves were sometimes pretty sketchy, not kayakable for sure. Other times for hours and days very smooth.

I'd look for lodges that are out of the way - or can transport you to a more remote place to launch from. Put in for the draw tag but head up anyway even if you're "just" fishing, 'cuz you're not "just" fishing - it's awesome.

With Steve R/Meat Eater showing his POW cabin, I'm guessing more and more people are going there but have zero proof if that's the case.

DO IT!
Agree on the test run^^^
I'm sure there are areas with good kayak access but there are plenty that would be horrible. There would also be good areas that depending on tide/current/wind could be truly deadly. I don't think Meateater films on those days.

I've fished the east side of POW numerous times and have seen bears and deer on the shore at low tide. They are extremely boat aware. Just a change in throttle will send them running, especially the bears.

The kayak could be good if you were in a hot spot but it can take a lot of shoreline running to find bears.

I would suggest a fishing trip up there to scout the area with a motor before committing to a kayak hunt.

Disclaimer: I've never been there during bear hunting season, only fishing.

one year while i was up there working, we were diving the west side of Dall Is. and we had a group of kayakers (5 or 6 of them) come by... they came from Ketchikan and went around the west side of Dall, and were headed to Craig.... that's a hell of a kayak trip!

i think it could be done, maybe tow a second kayak for bear and gear (i have a friend who does this for elk and it works) just be cognitive of the weather and direction the weather is coming from. those inside waters can get pretty nasty when you get strong current running one way and a stiff wind blowing the other way, and it can happen really fast, just be mindful of that possibility..... don't hunt the sides of the island that's exposed to the weather at that time. i have worked on the ocean my whole life, and some of the worst boat rides i have been on were inside waters.... it can get big and jacked up.... big wind waves stacked on top of each other..... if it sucks in a big steel commercial boat, it's probably a bad idea for a kayak ;)

i absolutely think it's doable, and sounds like a fun way to hunt, just check all of your boxes before you commit.

also, remember how big the tides are up there, get in the habit of tying your kayak off (on a long rope and don't just drag it up on the beach a little ways, it would be a crappy surprise to get back to your kayak at last light and realize you no longer have a kayak

Beendare

WKR
One of the scariest boat rides I’ve ever been on was just off of POW in the clarence straight, 10’ seas. We had green water burying a 34 foot parker..... I would say no thank you to a kayak

bushman

FNG
I have a kayak hunt planned for Kuiu coming up. I have an inflatable tandem. The boats capacity is 550 pounds. We picked a couple narrow bays and we don't plan on venturing far. I'll let you know In June how it turned out. If we get one we will haul quarters out in several trips or just move camp to kill site.