Black bear euro diy?

Back in spring of 2021 I was fortunate enough to harvest my first ever black bear!! Spot and stalk in amazingly steep and beautiful country! The shot was rushed off hand @ 150 yards w my trusty 270 win hand loads carrying a 150 gr Nosler partition. He ran about 100 yards & piled up at the base of a tree!! In preparation for this hunting season I need to clean out my freezer. Still have the hide & skull suspended in time in the freezer. I have done a handful of euros w elk & muleys & secretly enjoy the process as part of the harvest. I have been apprehensive to tackle a bear due to reading about how greasy they are & yellowing of leftover fats if not done correctly. I’m looking for any tips on doing a bear euro from anyone who has experience. Is it drastically different from an elk or deer? Am I overthinking it? I’m really good @ effing things up & just want my first bear to turn out as good as possible. I tried to search on here but didn’t pull up much, so maybe this will be informative for others as well?? Thx in advance! 🍻IMG_8584.jpegIMG_8587.jpegIMG_8605.jpegIMG_8604.jpeg

Last edited:

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
I do euros as a side hustle in wyo. I've found acetone although quite expensive is pretty good at degreasing bones. Let it sit for awhile. Could be a few weeks, month or more. Acetone seems to kind of get it ready and free so when you simmer with dawn it pulls out way easier.

I just wouldn't heat or dilute the acetone.

Worst case after the first round of heat and degrease and you let it dry and you notice grease, start from square one and just wait.

I'm sure others have done it differently and quicker but you've waited this long, a little longer won't hurt.

OP
philson208
interesting... I will give this a try. thx for the response. I have no problem leaving it for a while if it'll help produce good results. It's either sitting in my freezer or a bucket of acetone. will update once I actually get around to it, hopefully this year....

colby12

WKR
I did two skulls this past spring for the first time. After cleaning the brain out with baling wire I simmered for 8ish hours in water and dawn until everything but bone was left. Used a garden hose to clean it off. Things I didn’t read about online are the bottom jaw will split and the teeth will fall out. Use a white glue to put them back together and the teeth in. Used hair peroxide for a few days wrapped in Saran Wrap and they turned out pretty good.

Edited to add, I did the same to the baculum.