Keep or sell guns?

I actually got rid of some a few that were sentimental as well but they did me nothing locked up and my kids had no interest.
I just sold a 22 and bought a bow press I should have bought 20 years ago!

BadDogPSD

WKR
There's a few I plan to keep forever and pass down to my kids, but if something isn't getting used, and likely not to be used it gets sold.

bmrfish

WKR
I would only sell if I was going to fund buying another gun I really wanted.
Will never sell inherited guns with sentimental value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowg08

WKR
I have quit selling guns. Of course. I only have guns I might need. I do have a Kentucky long rifle from a great uncle. Curly maple stock. It will stay here.

My advice is to sell anything you don't use and convert cash to upgrading what you will use.
If I could only follow my own advise I would be so much better off.….

OP
Julius K

Julius K

FNG
Thanks for the thoughtful replies. I should probably have not used the a5 as an example - I do hope to find replacement action screws haha. I’m going to give it more thought.

Yoder

WKR
I think there are two types of guns that matter. Those with a purpose and those with sentimental value. Anything else I wouldn't worry about selling. I've sold a few over the years that no longer served a purpose. To me it was like selling a tool I no longer needed.

ChrisA

WKR
I sold a Tikka M595 whitetail hunter in 22-250 with two extra 6 round mags about 25 years ago to fund a rebarrel of a Sako L461 to 17MachIV. The Tikka was an MOA gun and no better so I decided to sell and have regretted it ever since.

I can still feel the buttery smooth action and crisp trigger. You sure dont see many Tikka M595 for sale.

Chris

Do what feels right to you. If you aren’t sure you should sell, you’d probably regret it. If you keep wanting to sell/want the cash but just worried you shouldn’t cause it’s ‘not right’ I’d sell.

i only keep a few sentimental items otherwise Id have a storage unit…

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Look downstream from you. Kids or nephews hunt? Do they want to use them. If the answer is no and your not going to use them then off they go. Guns are tools. You wouldnt be asking this question about a box of hammers.

Coldtrail

WKR
I've had quite a few guns over the years, non of them being safe queens. I made a decision to keep only anything with sentimental attachment & good utility. Now I have a smaller arsenal of guns that I find I am much more proficient with because I shoot only those and have all the bugs worked out and perfected.

Some of the older stuff I rarely reached for has now become my go-to and I find myself really having fun going after game with something a bit lower tech but really dialed in.

I shoot with a bunch of buddies and this topic comes up all the time. Some guys are wheeler dealers. They buy and sell without sentimentality or remorse for the most part. Others are in the never sell camp. I am somewhere in the middle.

My dad passed a while back. He had a few guns but not a lot. His 50 year old savage shotgun will always have a home in my safe. The 9mm handgun and beater 12 gauge semi he bought more recently were not my thing and got traded on down the line. I refine my own stable every now and then based on my tastes. While I don’t sell a lot, I also don’t care to buy and deal with a another safe simply to hold on to guns that I don’t shoot and that dont have sentimental value for me.