Kenetrek Boot Stiffness & Short Feet

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all,

This past season was year 3 (roughly 2 weeks of hunting & summer training per year) in my HS hikers and I'm still having issues with the boots tearing up my heels. Generally I don't see much of this during the summer, but after 4-5 days of hard hunting, my feet start to give up the ghost. I've been able to tough through it each year, but would rather not have my heels torn up. This past year I used leukotape on my heels prior to my hunt and saw much better results, but man I don't feel like that should be necessary? I'm a size 7.5 (in Kenetrek at least) and am wondering with how stiff their soles are, if I may need a less stiff boot to avoid heel lift with a shorter boot? Don't believe going down a size would do anything for me as they would be too tight. Always wear merino hiking socks. Overall I love the quality and build of the boot, and they're incredibly comfy to wear all day.

Wapiti151

WKR
I have three pairs of kenies and have never had this problem. I have two MT extremes and a hard scrabble so don’t have HS Hikers, but I got the same heel hotspots for the first 50 miles or so on the mountain extremes, but not after they are broken in. I’d say it definitely should not be happening unless your feet sweat a lot. If your feet get wet enough from sweat and there is friction in the boot almost anything will blister. Have you tried a liner sock to wick the moisture? Kenetrek makes a good one, I also have some cheap Amazon’s pairs made by “silver fox” or something Like that…smart wool also makes a good liner

I’m in the same boat you are. I have had the Hardscrabble’s (size 8) for over a year and still get my right heel chewed up on long days of uneven terrain. I’ve waxed them twice and tried tying them 100 different ways to lock my heel in and nothing has helped. I wear mine almost daily whether it be hunting or working. I just bought the Mountain Extremes and they seem to have more flex and which gives me less internal friction but I’ve only had them a month or so. I just wear thicker wool socks when I know it’s going to be a long day in the field and this helps prolong the inevitable. If you find a solution, please let me know.

Wapiti151

WKR
I’m in the same boat you are. I have had the Hardscrabble’s (size 8) for over a year and still get my right heel chewed up on long days of uneven terrain. I’ve waxed them twice and tried tying them 100 different ways to lock my heel in and nothing has helped. I wear mine almost daily whether it be hunting or working. I just bought the Mountain Extremes and they seem to have more flex and which gives me less internal friction but I’ve only had them a month or so. I just wear thicker wool socks when I know it’s going to be a long day in the field and this helps prolong the inevitable. If you find a solution, please let me know.
The mountain extremes and hard scrabbles are the same exact boot from the ankle down. Wear liner socks and break them in and you should be fine

Sounds like you need a boot with a better heel cup. I would not classify the Kennetreks as a “stiff” boot either. Maybe middle of the road for stiffness, teetering more towards the stiffer side, but they are re not a truly stiff soled boot IMO.

OP
W

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you need a boot with a better heel cup. I would not classify the Kennetreks as a “stiff” boot either. Maybe middle of the road for stiffness, teetering more towards the stiffer side, but they are re not a truly stiff soled boot IMO.
That is good to know! I have a pair of Zamberlan 1014s that are a half size too big that became my everyday boot...those don't seem quite as stiff as these Kenetreks but that is what I was going off of. My plan it to try on a couple different pairs (Salewa Crow/Rapace & Hanwag Alverstone) to see if any of them feel better off the cuff.

I have the Salewa Mountain Trainer edge shoe. Granted it’s a shoe not a boot, but the heel cup in it is by far the most comfortable tightest gripping heel cup I have ever worn. From the reviews I have read their boots fit very similarly. Only hesitation in trying them is some have complained about waterproof issues along the seams were the forefoot flexes. Due your diligence in looking into this. I have read that the customer service has been great and replaced all the faulty boots, but I would rather not have a faulty boot out on a hunt when a warranty does me no good. This has been an issue in the Mountain Trainer and Trainer Lite. I have not heard of anyone comment on this issue in the Raven 3 or Vultur which would be your stiffer more mountaineering oriented boots. I am strongly thinking about giving the Raven or Vultur a try.

I've had 2 pairs of ME. First pair, I would get hot spots on my heels with tough climbing. KT helped a ton in my opinion. Duct tape, leukotape, etc, failed for me. 2nd pair zero issues same insoles as my first pair. Size 7.5 > I suspect your not tall? Not judging nor am I. I wear a size 9.

Point is Kenetrek ME is a 10" boot. Now if your 72" tall that boot DOES NOT extend as far up the leg when compared to someone who is 68" tall. Simply, the person who is 68" tall has shorter legs. See my point? All little more give at the top of the boot, not lacing the top 1-3 eyelets, depending on the length of your leg goes a long way with heel slip issues in those of us with shorter legs. **For me anyway** It's amazing how much better the boot feels when you take a 10" and effectively make it a 8-9" boot by not lacing the top few eyelets. The percentage the boot extends above the ankle would be the same whether your 68" or 72" tall after the adjustment.

Realistically, your ankle support will be no different when compared to someone who is 72" tall even with the top 1-3 eyelets not laced (depending on your leg length). Visual purposes only > I have not measured to be exact. Lets say the 10" boot extend 2" below the lower border of the calf in someone who is 62" tall. The same boot may extend TO THE lower border of the calf in someone who is 68" tall.

This creates more stiffness and less flex in the ankle with a shorter leg. This lack of ankle flex will make you lift the foot more when walking instead.

IME, by not lacing the top 1-2 eyelets, I get proper ankle flex which allows the heel to push back and sit properly in the heel pocket. For me this resolved the issue.

I've never heard this approach to hunting boots for those of us with shorter legs. Not saying this is a cure for all but it worked for this back country hunter. It just makes sense that a 10" boot for a someone 72" tall would have a different effect mechanically on someone that is 68" tall.

Last edited:
I will say Crispi Guides are phenomenal. No heel slip with these boots right out of the box. They are less robust and supportive compared to Kenetreks but I wouldn't say they are under supportive.
I felt fine in the mountains of ID deer hunting.

The Kenetrek sit higher when compared to the guides. The Crispi boots have a pronounced toe rocker when compared to Kenetreks. I have Hallus Rigidus, s/p surgery, and the increased toe extension bothers my big toes. Only for this reason Crispi boots are a no go for me.

idig4au

WKR
That is good to know! I have a pair of Zamberlan 1014s that are a half size too big that became my everyday boot...those don't seem quite as stiff as these Kenetreks but that is what I was going off of. My plan it to try on a couple different pairs (Salewa Crow/Rapace & Hanwag Alverstone) to see if any of them feel better off the cuff.

I have narrow heels and kenetreks don’t work for me for fit or boot stiffness (I prefer stiff mountaineering type boots). Try Zamberlan or Asolo as some of their boots, at least in their mountaineering lines have narrower heel cups.

Also have a look a your insoles and See what works best for taking up some boot volume

I have owned Kenetrek Mountain Guides NI and the Mountain Extreme 400. The Guides have a stiffer sole than the MEs but I would classify both boots as stiff, personally. That’s in comparison to danner flashpoints, Salomon quest 4d gtx and the scarpa zodiacs. Neither Kenetrek boot required a break in and I’ve never gotten a hot spot or blister in either. They fit me true to size. I own kenes strictly because they fit my feet well. I would not recommend them to anyone as a cure all to blisters unless they fit your feet perfectly. My advice is to try on kenes, Lowas, crispis, schnees, everything you can get your hands on. Pick what fits best, particularly in the heel. I could tell in the store which boot would give me heel blisters simply by paying attention to heel slip as I walked the floor. My opinion is that if a boot gives you blisters, it doesn’t fit you and you should move on and try something else!

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
If your interested in a lighter hiker style boot I messed up and ordered the wrong size altra lone peak all weather mids. They are not returnable and I’m looking to get rid of them cheap. Shameless plug

With Kenetrek, anyone recommend buying different insoles or do the standard work pretty well?

I’ve personally never swapped insoles in kenes. I find the arch to be higher than other manufacturers (Salomon, zamberlan, scarpa, schnees) which works well for my feet. I’ve never needed to adjust. Personally, the extra arch support in kenes is one of my favorite features. The original insoles are also plenty comfortable (to my feet anyway).