Kenetrek Hardscrabble?

Please let me know what you think about this boot if you've used them off-trail above timberline. I'm thinking about this boot for some ridge-runner trips in 2014. I need to make the selection soon and get them broken in.

I typically wear Lowa Trekkers, and they're great boots, but I don't think they are ideal in the steep stuff (talus, scree fields).

Thanks!

Eric

Rucker61

WKR
They're the only boots I've used in the mountains, so I don't have anything to compare them to and not much experience to talk about how well they work. They fit me better than the Lowas, Asolos and Hanwags I just bought to compare. I really like the stiffness, especially with the loads I was carrying this fall.

I've worn the hardscrabble for the last two seasons. I probably have close to 500 miles on them. They are a great solid boot. My only complaint is the breakin for me was longer than the stated 50 miles. I just added the green superfeet insoles to my hardscrabbles and wow now they are even more comfortable

OP
CrzyTrekker
Gobbler & Rucker,

Thanks for the feedback! Glad to hear they're stiff and solid. I think I'll get a pair now so I can start the break-in process early...

Cheers

Eric

CM

WKR
I have worn out several pairs of both insulated and non-insulated Mountain Extremes and have loved every pair. I tried one pair of hardscrabbles, and they destroyed the back of my foot. I desperately wanted to love them but I couldn't get over the rubbing problem. I wore them probably close to 100 miles but ended up selling them. I had the same problem with a pair of insulated Mountain Extremes but it went away after about 30 miles or so.

Kenetrek did redesign their heel cup recently, I haven't tried a pair since the redesign, if the design fixes the problem the hardscrabbles would be dang good early season high country/alpine boots.

OP
CrzyTrekker
I desperately wanted to love them but I couldn't get over the rubbing problem.

CM, sounds like a pair of ski boots I owned once. I will take a chance with the Kenetreks and hope for the best. Maybe wear 'em around the house a good bit first so I can return them if necessary.

You're in the Cache Valley? Beautiful area. I grew up in Ogden and made a couple trips up there to go ski touring/backpacking.

I am on my second pair and they are great boots. I agree with the statement from above that they take more than 50 miles. But once they are broken in they are good to go. When you get sized for them make sure and wear the socks you usually do, and what ever insole you use.

bobhunts

WKR
Expect much longer break in than promised in the Ad! I almost sold my mtn extereme boots until I waded a river this past rifle season and I believe they might be good to go now! We will see... but after them getting we inside and out and wearing them all day I will say I did not have the heel slip problem anymore. Bob.

I got a pair of Hardscrabbles in 2007. The break-in time was very minimal for me. I got them in August and was doing backpack hunts in them in September. They are definitely stiff and very light. I never had a complaint no matter what terrain I was on. In fact I was amazed by the traction they gave me; way better than any other boot I'd had up to that point. The only complaint I had was that by the end of the 2009 season the outsoles had worn down almost smooth. Amazingly they still gave me pretty good traction but I was disappointed in the durability of the rubber. I decided to have them re-soled in Bozeman so I sent them in with a note saying that they are a good boot but I was somewhat disappointed in the longevity of the sole. A couple weeks later my boots came back re-soled for no charge. There was a letter in the box from the owner explaining that they use a slightly softer rubber than many other boots for better traction especially in the cold. I got two more seasons out of them before I retired them. The leather is awesome and is still in good shape on them. They don't seem to breathe as well as other boots I've had and my feet often got a little hot in warm weather. That is why I switched to the Hanwag Mtn Light. I would buy another pair of Kenetreks but it would be the insulated ones for use in late rifle season. Hope this helps.

Solitude

WKR
After 4-5 seasons in them I have concluded they are a very solid, rigid, well constructed boot that handles the high country and heavy loads extremely well. They are the benchmark I now hold all other boots too as construction and performance are top notch. My pair have held up well and they the support they provide/stability I feel in the high country when wearing them makes them my goto boot in rocky steep terrain.

Regarding the "break in", I simply wore them on my morning training/pack sessions in the winter/spring and had no issues come the summer/fall. I do feel they are more rigid than my past light weight "stalking" boots and as such did take a longer time to break in.....but are a totally different style boot in comparison .....think sheep and mountain goat style hunts IMO.

I would say make sure they fit you well right out if the box with the socks and insoles you typically wear as posted above. Given the rigidity if this boot its not going to stretch/break in like a new pair of tennis shoes. But if they fit your style of foot, I believe you will be very happy with them on your hunts.

OP
CrzyTrekker
bob, epic, and Solitude,

Excellent feedback! This boot sounds great, assuming I get a good fit and break them in. I'm anticipating a couple high-altitude hunts in 2014 including (hopefully) a goat hunt, and this boot sounds perfect. I'll still have my softer Lowa Trekkers for regular backpacking and lower-elevation pursuits.

Best,
Eric

CM

WKR
CM, sounds like a pair of ski boots I owned once. I will take a chance with the Kenetreks and hope for the best. Maybe wear 'em around the house a good bit first so I can return them if necessary.

You're in the Cache Valley? Beautiful area. I grew up in Ogden and made a couple trips up there to go ski touring/backpacking.

I just saw your post, ya I'm in Cache Valley, I'm going to USU and should be done with a Masters in a year. I spend a lot of time in the mountains up here, I just wish the deer herd was doing a bit better.

I just thought I would mention one more thing. 1epichunt mentioned he has had some Kenetreks resoled, I have had some resoled as well. Kenetrek sent me to Carters boot repair. The outsoles on the Kenetreks are great but like has been mentioned they are softer rubber and wear out quickly (I can only get about one year on their outsoles). Anyways when I sent my last pair of boots in I had them put a vibram outsole on them, I believe it was the Vertige sole (they use this one on their Mountain Guide boots), these seem to be much more durable. That is just something to consider when it's time to resole the boots.

littlebuf

Banned
i would look at the mountain extremes too. unbelievable support. when i bought mine i asked the rep what the main difference was. his reply was "if your not planning on coming out heavy the hard scrabbles should be fine" i always plan on coming out heavy. same break in, more support, incredibly comfortable once broken in. down side would be there heavier.

blackah02

FNG
I owned a pair of Hardscrabbles and gave them an appropriate amount of break in, however, they just didn't fit my feet so I had to sell them. I have a narrow heel and I would get heel slippage and blisters on inclines. They felt great on flat ground. If they fit you, they should hold up great and suit you fine, but I have found for me that the Lowa Tibet or Hanwag is a superior boot in that price range. You get a better lacing system in the Lowa's and Hanwag as well as a higher ankle support. It really boils down to which fits your feet better.

OP
CrzyTrekker
blackah,

Did you have the Hardscrabbles in a narrow width? I know they make them in narrow, which is the primary reason I'm interested with my narrow feet.

Thanks,

Eric

blackah02

FNG
blackah,

Did you have the Hardscrabbles in a narrow width? I know they make them in narrow, which is the primary reason I'm interested with my narrow feet.

Thanks,

Eric

CrzyTrekker: No, my Hardscrabbles were medium width because I have a wider forefoot although I am narrow in the heel. Kinda like duck feet. One more thing to consider. You read a lot of reviews on the Kenetreks stating they need to be broken in after 50 plus miles. Obviously, that loosens up the leather so that you don't get as much heel slippage. How many reviews on the Lowas, Hanwags, or others have you read that bring up break in issues and heel slippage? I guarantee the Kenetreks leather is no more durable than the Lowas or Hanwags. I would rather buy a boot that I can put on out of the box that make me feel like I can go on a hike right then and there without having to break it in. Get a boot that secures your heel out of the box and you shouldn't have to worry about putting 50 miles on before it starts to work. I really suggest you try the Lowa Tibet before committing to the Kenetrek especially since you have good experience with the Lowa Trekker. You may also want to look at the Asolo Sasslong in a regular width as they run very narrow. They are very similar to the Hardscrabble and I had better luck in the Asolo than the Hardscrabble. Sierra trading Post has them for $130 shipped during sales.

OP
CrzyTrekker
blackah, good food for thought.

Something I should mention is that I have really narrow feet and enough boot-buying experience to know I require a narrow width. I'm limited to boots made with a narrow last. My Lowa Trekkers are a narrow width, but Lowa only makes its more popular boots (backpacking boots like the Renegade and Trekker) in narrow widths. I hear what you're saying about the leather, but even a custom footbed will not make a boot like the Tibet fit me well. :( I've also tried on a couple pairs of Asolos with no luck.

The Trekkers are great, with very good leather, and you can go for a hike right out of the box. But the Trekkers get a little squishy on off-camber stuff way up high. I could make them work on any hunt, even a goat hunt, but I'm hoping for something better. I think I'm back to ordering a pair of Kenetreks. If they feel good out of the box then I know I'll have to spend some time breaking them in, which isn't a problem if they ultimately work well.

Thanks for your excellent feedback!

Eric