Kenetrek Hardscrabble?

blackah02

FNG
blackah, good food for thought.

Something I should mention is that I have really narrow feet and enough boot-buying experience to know I require a narrow width. I'm limited to boots made with a narrow last. My Lowa Trekkers are a narrow width, but Lowa only makes its more popular boots (backpacking boots like the Renegade and Trekker) in narrow widths. I hear what you're saying about the leather, but even a custom footbed will not make a boot like the Tibet fit me well. :( I've also tried on a couple pairs of Asolos with no luck.

The Trekkers are great, with very good leather, and you can go for a hike right out of the box. But the Trekkers get a little squishy on off-camber stuff way up high. I could make them work on any hunt, even a goat hunt, but I'm hoping for something better. I think I'm back to ordering a pair of Kenetreks. If they feel good out of the box then I know I'll have to spend some time breaking them in, which isn't a problem if they ultimately work well.

Thanks for your excellent feedback!

Eric

Eric, No problem. The Kenetrek would have been good boots if they fit me. I am a block away from Kenetrek headquarters and their staff is great. I have a coworker with truly narrow feet and he likes his mountain extreme narrows. Please do consider ordering a pair of Asolo Sasslong in the regular width and try them on side by side next to your Hardscrabbles. Believe me when i say the Sasslongs run very narrow. Just read the reviews on Sierra Trading Post for confirmation. I ordered the Sasslong wides and they are still more narrow than my medium width Lowa Tibets. If they work for you, you will save hundreds of $ over the Kenetrek and get a comparable boot with the upgrade of gore-tex and a Vibram sole. Good luck on your hunt!

I used my hardscrabbles three hard seasons in the rugged terrain of the cabinet mountain wilderness of Northwest Montana. They have been superb boots for me in early and late season hunts. I would agree with some of the other guys that the soles wore out a bit faster than I liked but i just sent them in to get resoled and hope to get another three years out of them. I would definitely recommend them. very high end comfortable boots!

OP
CrzyTrekker
I called Kenetrek and they told me that, yes, it would take 50 miles to break them in. I haven't ever had such a lengthy break-in period with Vasque (what I used to wear) or Lowa (what I currently wear). I decided to stick with the Lowas this year. Keep running into people that like their Kenetreks, so I may still get a pair.

Eric

yhudson

FNG
Thanks for the reply. 50 miles is a long break in time when there are other boots that require a lot less

Hey topher,

I purchased my first pair of Kennetrek Hardscrabble boots this June. Since these are pretty expensive boots I looked at many other makes of boots and tried the Kennetrek boots on for size three different times. This is typical for me when I'm trying to elude buyer's remorse.

I hike a lot and when I have tags I hunt as much as possible. I looked at these boots based on the advice of buddies who hike and hunt as much as I do. I was informed about the 50 mile break-in by the gal who sold me the boots at our local Sportsmans Warehouse. Fifty miles sounded like a lot, but my favorite brand has been Danner for over 20 years and they usually require a decent amount of wear before being truly comfortable.

Anyway, I'd say my boots are hunt ready now and I've probably just North of 20 miles hiking in fairly soft terrian (hiking miles, I've also worn them around the house and in the office). This weekend I ventured out in Arizona Sheep country and I did end up with hot spots on both heels. Nothing that a pair of silk liners wouldn't have addressed. The hike out of the canyon was more of a hike/climb because it was so steep. I normally wear trail running shoes with much softer soles for this hike, but figured this would be a good test for the stiff sole of the Kennetreks. Since I have an elk hunt coming up I'll probably do this hike at least a couple more times.

Good Luck!

topher89

WKR
Hey topher,

I purchased my first pair of Kennetrek Hardscrabble boots this June. Since these are pretty expensive boots I looked at many other makes of boots and tried the Kennetrek boots on for size three different times. This is typical for me when I'm trying to elude buyer's remorse.

I hike a lot and when I have tags I hunt as much as possible. I looked at these boots based on the advice of buddies who hike and hunt as much as I do. I was informed about the 50 mile break-in by the gal who sold me the boots at our local Sportsmans Warehouse. Fifty miles sounded like a lot, but my favorite brand has been Danner for over 20 years and they usually require a decent amount of wear before being truly comfortable.

Anyway, I'd say my boots are hunt ready now and I've probably just North of 20 miles hiking in fairly soft terrian (hiking miles, I've also worn them around the house and in the office). This weekend I ventured out in Arizona Sheep country and I did end up with hot spots on both heels. Nothing that a pair of silk liners wouldn't have addressed. The hike out of the canyon was more of a hike/climb because it was so steep. I normally wear trail running shoes with much softer soles for this hike, but figured this would be a good test for the stiff sole of the Kennetreks. Since I have an elk hunt coming up I'll probably do this hike at least a couple more times.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I am all set for this season (Salomon Quests) but have been thinking about taking a step up to Kenetrek, Lowa or maybe Hanwags. I have never worn a tall boot (think the Mountain Extremes) which is why I am interested in the Hardscrabbles. I may pick up a pair in the spring, wear them turkey hunting and summer hiking to get them nice and broke in before deer and elk season.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
old thread, but I tried on a pair of Hardscrabbles today and unlike the majority of boots I've tried on thus far, fit pretty well- I could use maybe a hair more room in the toe box, tried a wide and I was swimming in them- so medium if anything

anymore feedback on these seeing 2.5 years have since passed?

thanks
Mike