Kenetrek - Time to move on.....

12ring

FNG
A couple months ago I purchased the Crispi Nevada HTG GTX- which I have enjoyed wearing... I now have a problem w/ the heal/sole separating from the rand portion and have to go through a return process (in the middle of hunting season no less). View attachment 40674

I was in the same boat as you last month.
Something changed in my boots and I was getting a terrible blister on my left heel.
27ea61067b3cf5c7f8ac67d65a7b1213.jpg

I began to panic with a fast approaching dall sheep hunt.
I drove to anchorage to buy a new pair of boots. After hours of trying on different types of boots, I just couldn't do it! I couldn't buy a pair of boots and take them into the mountains without breaking them in.
I ended up taking a gamble and buying some superfeet insoles.
My feet held up as well as expected. No blisters sheep hunting. Then I packed a entire moose out 1 1/4 miles one way with wet feet. Still no blisters!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

ctsmith

Lil-Rokslider
Monster, whats your theory on what caused the blisters and why did they stop?

Monster, whats your theory on what caused the blisters and why did they stop?

I believe I had compressed my factory insoles enough to loosen the heel pocket.
By changing the insoles out it tightened the pocket up enough to stop any heel movement.

I should also add, I'm running the same boot.
I goat hunted 12 days in them last year and never a blister one.
Now I did give myself the worst case of shin splints I've seen, but no blisters.

I have callous on both heals and this is a blessing. I can wear any boot and have no problems because my heals are hard as a rock. I can where my boots with them loose and my heel moving around and nothing happens. I would say your Kenetreks did you a favor by giving you a nice callous. Fyi I got my callous from the kenetreks years ago. Thank you kenetrek! I love my callous!

I was in the same boat as you last month.
Something changed in my boots and I was getting a terrible blister on my left heel.
27ea61067b3cf5c7f8ac67d65a7b1213.jpg

I began to panic with a fast approaching dall sheep hunt.
I drove to anchorage to buy a new pair of boots. After hours of trying on different types of boots, I just couldn't do it! I couldn't buy a pair of boots and take them into the mountains without breaking them in.
I ended up taking a gamble and buying some superfeet insoles.
My feet held up as well as expected. No blisters sheep hunting. Then I packed a entire moose out 1 1/4 miles one way with wet feet. Still no blisters!

What boot did you have? Several were discussed in previous replies, Kenetrek, Crispi, etc. Not sure which one caused you the heel blister.

I have never tried the hardscrabbles. I have the Mountain Extreme, and they seem to be well broken in now, so I will see in about three weeks. I will have several pair of Danner Pronghorns as backup just in case.

I have never tried the hardscrabbles. I have the Mountain Extreme, and they seem to be well broken in now, so I will see in about three weeks. I will have several pair of Danner Pronghorns as backup just in case.

They work great now that I have superfeet insoles.
I've had them for four years. Tuff boots! I'm on my second pair of soles.
I can't imagine I'll get to wear them much more this year. My seasons are pretty much over now, unless I want to go shoot a brown bear. (I don't need anymore of those things)

OP
C

ctsmith

Lil-Rokslider
Crispi Nevadas came in today. I'm very fortunate, the fit could not be any better.

The difference that I noticed immediately between the Hardscrable and the Nevada is that the Nevada has more of a natural bend in the toe area. I have a feeling this alone will greatly reduce heel slippage.

Last edited:
OP
C

ctsmith

Lil-Rokslider
The difference that I noticed immediately between the Hardscrable and the Nevada is that the Nevada has more of a natural bend in the toe area.

What are the negatives, or what am I giving up, with less forefoot midsole stiffness, as in the Nevadas?

Mmcan

WKR
Hey ctsmith,

The Lowa Tibets are awesome boots. I have had a pair for the past 3 years and really like them a lot. These are good stiff sole boots for steep terrain and carrying wt.

As far as your blisters / calluses go, I think wet feet (sweat) plays a big role. I live in N. La, so during our southern summers, while we are doing our training hikes, the 95 degree heat + the 90% humidity results is extreme sweating, at least it does for me. A stiff sole boot along with soaked feet will results in heel movement in the boot and cause blisters. I can literally pour sweat out of my boots when I am done with my training hikes, and I am completely soaked with sweat. For this reason, I use the Lowa Renegades for my training hikes. These are hiking boots, with a more flexible sole vs the Tibets. My feet take time to get used to carrying weight in hills, but with the flexible sole, my heel seems to stay in place better and I don't get blisters.
F
Hope this helps. Good Luck

I have the same boots as you.

The renegade is a great boot for lighter hiking. Very comfortable straight out of the box. Much lighter than my tibets.
I have a pair of Tibet high in 13. They've been frustrating bc I love the support they offer, but have required a substantial insole, really padded socks, and tape sometimes. And I still get hot spots and occasional blisters. 12 was just too small.

Lowa offered 12.5 this year. Bought them. Only had time to hike about 10 miles in the to break them in. Maybe 15 max.
Just got back from CO 71. Probably hiked 60 miles w 20-25lb pack.
Not a single blister w no tape needed. Love these boots and yes, the fit is important.
Also, the lacing system on Lowas is awesome. You can really hold your foot in place, your heel down, and the tongue where you want it. Check out some videos about this. It works.

I wish the renegade came in a high version. That would be greatness.

I'd also like to give praises to the Kuiu wool socks I used. Expensive. Worth it for sure.

Last edited: