Kestrel Question

I picked up a Kestrel 5700 Ballistic with Link.

Question: Kestrel recommends a 100 yard zero which is fine. I can do that and then verify vertical zero at 400 yards which is my max range based on where I shoot. Might even be 350 yards. Kestrel recommends 887 yards (Cal MV) but that's not going to happen. After I do that Kestrel will calculate an adjusted MV. I understand the further the shot the more accurate the MV correction will be. This is a hunting not a long range rifle. Max shot is around 400 yards.

Question is, I like to zero at 233 yards for this particular rifle. Puts me at 1.75" high/low out to 275 yards. I like that because it keeps it simple at crunch time. 300 yards or beyond I will need to dial an adjustment.

Is there any drawback, after I do the initial 100 yard zero then verify vertical zero at 350 or 400 yards thus giving me a true MV, then switching my zero back to 233 yards?

2nd question: On the link under gun profile there is a data base where I can record MV-temp. I can input 6 different entries. Any benefit to testing MV at different temperatures? Is this data communicated to the device when calculating drops permanently or does it always need to be connected to my phone to take this data into consideration?

Venatic

FNG
First off the 5700 is a great tool but if you are only shooting to 350-400 yds any old ballistic app on your phone would have sufficed to get you data.
I would just use your ammunition manufacturer published velocity to get started and at those short ranges you will be close and can adjust velocity up or down to fine tune.
You can put any zero distance you like or you could also show 100 yards with a 1.75 off set and then the ballistic calculator will do the rest.
At those short distances I would not worry about testing at different temperatures....JMO

OP
Mule3006Elk
First off the 5700 is a great tool but if you are only shooting to 350-400 yds any old ballistic app on your phone would have sufficed to get you data.
I would just use your ammunition manufacturer published velocity to get started and at those short ranges you will be close and can adjust velocity up or down to fine tune.
You can put any zero distance you like or you could also show 100 yards with a 1.75 off set and then the ballistic calculator will do the rest.
At those short distances I would not worry about testing at different temperatures....JMO

Thank you. I do shoot longer ranges just not for hunting. Last week I took it out to 800 yards. I found the Kestrel invaluable. First time from that distance. I really like the MV validation. It interesting when learn your bullets true mv is less than stated. I use a magnetospeed for chronograph so I know my mv is accurate. Could be the stated bc is a little generous. I think it will really help me learn to read the wind. I've never had a tool that tells me the wind speed.

I spoke with Gary at Kestrel regarding zero. He said using a 100 yard zero is best for the device. If I use a 230 yard zero, which I can, there will be no calculated environmental influence on the bullet from 0-230 yards. Environmental influence starts at your zero then out to your target. So I would lose some accuracy especially if it's windy. I'll stay with a 100 yard zero. I'm pretty sure he said the offset is an elite feature. My device is one step down.