Kifaru belt slipping off frame

jaggy13

FNG
Not sure if I'm just doing it wrong. But I have a reckoning pack on the latest duplex frame. When I pick the pack up to put it on, about ever 25th time, the belt will slip off the frame. This make the pack ride a little "wonky".
It's not the end of the world, I do have some items attached to the belt, so there is added weight pulling down on the belt when I lift it.
I love the pack, just not sure if I have something I forgot to hook up. Or if there is another solution.
Thanks in advance.

TJ

WKR
I'd suggest calling Kifaru, they will get things straightened out.

I'm pretty sure the lumbar pad wraps over the hip belt and secures with velcro through holes in the frame.
No way should the belt ever fall off.

VIDEOS - Kifaru International

Check out this video, it shows how to adjust the frame.

OP
J

jaggy13

FNG
yeah, the lumbar pad is installed, but the belt slips over it. I have a pistol and a water bottle on my belt. So when I pick the pack up by the handle the belt sags quite a bit. The first pic is how I find it when it's not riding correctly.
FQvaggX.jpg

Second is how I fix it by litterally pulling over the frame like a sock.
ZG2y5BZ.jpg

Thanks for the links to the videos, I have watched them thinking I missed something simple...

I too carry a 10 mm, water bottle, medium pouch and a gun bearer and don't have this issue.
Are your straps from the belt going to the bag or the frame?

OP
J

jaggy13

FNG
I too carry a 10 mm, water bottle, medium pouch and a gun bearer and don't have this issue.
Are your straps from the belt going to the bag or the frame?
I'll take more pics and post.
Not sure how else to hook it up.
It seems like it's setup correctly but I have taken it apart to adjust the shoulder straps.

At the rear of the waist belt on each side are small straps , are these going to the frame or pack? They are only about 10" long or so.
It really seems to be an issue in your lumbar Velcro straps connected behind the frame.
This should not be falling down on you when correctly set up.

92xj

WKR
yeah, the lumbar pad is installed, but the belt slips over it...

The belt does not go over the lumbar pad. The pad over the belt and the Velcro straps through frame which holds belt on. Belt can never slip off.

From his pic it seems this is how he has it. Not sure you could do it any other way and make it work.

92xj

WKR
Oh, I couldn't make out his pictures.
I'm just not sure how the belt could slip off if it's strapped correctly with the lumbar badholding it. Based off his wording though, he says the belt is over the pad. If be curious what a picture of that description would look like.

OP
J

jaggy13

FNG
Oh, I couldn't make out his pictures.
I'm just not sure how the belt could slip off if it's strapped correctly with the lumbar badholding it. Based off his wording though, he says the belt is over the pad. If be curious what a picture of that description would look like.

Sorry, I mis spoke. It's over the Velcro holding the lumbar pad. I meant to say the lumbar pad is fully installed then the belt slips over.
Mfllood, are you referring to the "delta" straps? In this video, that's what they call what I think you are referring too.
Duplex Frame Adjustment - YouTube
But my pack doesn't have those straps.
I won't have access to my pack until this evening. But looks just like your pictures.
Just to be clear, I'm am very happy with my pack. Just a small issue I want to solve. And before I improvise a solution I just wanted to confirm that I wasn't #doingitwrong

Thanks for the replies!

92xj

WKR
Roger that.
I've never heard of or had your problem, so I cant think of anything else to try. I'd call Kifaru and see what they say.

You have to slip the belt onto the frame first, then flip the lumbar pad over that belt sleeve and attach the pad with the 2 Velcro straps.

The waist belt has a sleeve that slips into the frame sheet at bottom. Then the lumbar pad has a sheet like a shelf, that goes around that sleeve part of the belt on the back side of the frame and it slips over the belt with the 2 Velcro straps going thru the holes to the back side of that frame. No way the belt can come off unless the Velcro straps are coming loose and the lumbar pad is slipping and moving down about 4". Which is unlikely.

Your pics show the waist belt bunching up under the lumbar pad which would sort of indicate the lumbar pad is not pulled tight at the 2 Velcro straps ?

The delta straps should assist in heavy loads to keep the pack from moving all around

OP
J

jaggy13

FNG
You have to slip the belt onto the frame first, then flip the lumbar pad over that belt sleeve and attach the pad with the 2 Velcro straps.

The waist belt has a sleeve that slips into the frame sheet at bottom. Then the lumbar pad has a sheet like a shelf, that goes around that sleeve part of the belt on the back side of the frame and it slips over the belt with the 2 Velcro straps going thru the holes to the back side of that frame. No way the belt can come off unless the Velcro straps are coming loose and the lumbar pad is slipping and moving down about 4". Which is unlikely.

Your pics show the waist belt bunching up under the lumbar pad which would sort of indicate the lumbar pad is not pulled tight at the 2 Velcro straps ?

The delta straps should assist in heavy loads to keep the pack from moving all around

Sounds good, I will tear it all down tonight and give it another go.
I'll take some pics as I go.
I'd call if I could be in front of the pack when I call. But hate to waist there time if I can't follow their instructions and give feedback at that time.

OP
J

jaggy13

FNG
Ok, I have an idea of what may be the issue.

I am guessing that the lumbar pad has broken in and now has a "sloppy" fit.
It appears that the ladder lock in the below picture and attached video add as a tentioner or friction lock when the lumbar pad is tight.
I'll make sure the belt is over those locks then tighten up the pad. I do have a few miles on this pack so it makes sense that it would break in and loosen up.
4nJf3UD.jpg

Seen in this video
Duplex Frame - YouTube

Thanks for the posts, I'm out for a few days of mountain time soon. I'll post a reply after this trip with an update.
Hope this helps someone else.

OP
J

jaggy13

FNG
Looks like the issue was my lumbar pad being loose. Pack feels and rides like new again.
Belt is staying put now.
Thanks for all the input