Kifaru frame guidance

King12

FNG
Looking to get my first Kifaru frame but looking for some guidance. I was thinking getting the duplex lite but seems like everyone is switching to the tactical? Also I’m about a 29-30 waist, do I need to size up in the belt to accommodate clothing?

What makes you think everyone is switching to a Tactical frame? Lite frame is the best choice for almost everything. You need to get a belt that's going to fit with the clothing you have on while wearing it which is typically pants and a base/mid upper layer. Don't get a belt that fits over super heavy winter layers unless that's what you wear 100% of the time.

I’d recommend sizing up to the Small (31 - 34) belt. From my perspective, Kifaru’s Duplex belts fit better with a little more wrap around the iliac crests. Also, the tactical frame is much more comfortable with heavy loads. I’d make your decision based on how often you’ll be carrying loads above 50 pounds. Definitely loads over 65 pounds are going to be best with the tactical frame.

OP
King12

King12

FNG
What makes you think everyone is switching to a Tactical frame? Lite frame is the best choice for almost everything. You need to get a belt that's going to fit with the clothing you have on while wearing it which is typically pants and a base/mid upper layer. Don't get a belt that fits over super heavy winter layers unless that's what you wear 100% of the time.
Idk just seems like there’s been a lot of lite frames for sale on the forum from guys wanting the tactical. I mainly only hunt the desert so I’m in pants and a short sleeve 90% of the time, and then the occasional puffy jacket early in the morning.

OP
King12

King12

FNG
I’d recommend sizing up to the Small (31 - 34) belt. From my perspective, Kifaru’s Duplex belts fit better with a little more wrap around the iliac crests. Also, the tactical frame is much more comfortable with heavy loads. I’d make your decision based on how often you’ll be carrying loads above 50 pounds. Definitely loads over 65 pounds are going to be best with the tactical frame.
Do you think I’ll be able to cinch it down enough? I mainly only wear pants and a short sleeve 90% of the time. Sometimes I’ll be in a puffy jacket early in the morning but that’s about it.

Idk just seems like there’s been a lot of lite frames for sale on the forum from guys wanting the tactical. I mainly only hunt the desert so I’m in pants and a short sleeve 90% of the time, and then the occasional puffy jacket early in the morning.
Then get a belt that fits with pants and a short sleeve on, you won't be hiking much at all in a puffy jacket.

MattB

WKR
Do you think I’ll be able to cinch it down enough? I mainly only wear pants and a short sleeve 90% of the time. Sometimes I’ll be in a puffy jacket early in the morning but that’s about it.
I would call Kifaru and ask, but they size the way they do for a reason.

Yes. I fluctuate between a 32 and 33 inch waist. The Duplex Small waist belt is listed as fitting 31-34 inch waists. The size Small waist belt allows the padding to just barely cup my iliac crests…..with the 2” webbing part of the belt riding across my stomach. I’ve used a Medium (34-38”) belt for the last 13 years. The longer belt gives me better circumferential weigh distribution around my body, which is significantly more comfortable, to me. I’ve never once wanted a smaller sized belt. My pack usage has ranged from yearly backpack sheep hunts, packing heavy loads of moose meat and day hunts for Coues deer. Wearing very lightweight clothing up through chest waders and heavy insulation. If I was in your position….I’d order the Small (31-34) belt first and if you don’t like it, send it back in exchange for an Extra Small belt.

OP
King12

King12

FNG
Yes. I fluctuate between a 32 and 33 inch waist. The Duplex Small waist belt is listed as fitting 31-34 inch waists. The size Small waist belt allows the padding to just barely cup my iliac crests…..with the 2” webbing part of the belt riding across my stomach. I’ve used a Medium (34-38”) belt for the last 13 years. The longer belt gives me better circumferential weigh distribution around my body, which is significantly more comfortable, to me. I’ve never once wanted a smaller sized belt. My pack usage has ranged from yearly backpack sheep hunts, packing heavy loads of moose meat and day hunts for Coues deer. Wearing very lightweight clothing up through chest waders and heavy insulation. If I was in your position….I’d order the Small (31-34) belt first and if you don’t like it, send it back in exchange for an Extra Small belt.
Awesome I’ll end up ordering the small then. Thank you for your time and helping me out

I’m similar waist size as you, and a small worked well for me, if you want an actual waist measurement to compare to your own, I can do that. I wear 30/34 pants in almost all of my pants for reference, and was often in light pants and a light merino shirt during September

I got really thin year before last, and assume my waist size was 29 or a little shy of, but I lost a full 20# by the end of fall and the small was never too big

I have never worn a tactical, but spent a lot of time in a lite

OP
King12

King12

FNG
I’m similar waist size as you, and a small worked well for me, if you want an actual waist measurement to compare to your own, I can do that. I wear 30/34 pants in almost all of my pants for reference, and was often in light pants and a light merino shirt during September

I got really thin year before last, and assume my waist size was 29 or a little shy of, but I lost a full 20# by the end of fall and the small was never too big

I have never worn a tactical, but spent a lot of time in a lite
Perfect, I’m right there with you. I wear a 30/34 also but sometimes I’ll drop to a 29. I’m in super light pants and shirt for hunting down in the desert. Looks like the small is the way to go. Thanks for the input

ncavi8tor

WKR
I bought the Tactical in MC during the big sale and I love it! I think it carries weight much better than my Duplex Lite. It's a workhorse of a frame!!

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

OP pm if you are interested in a tactical frame. I have one for sale in the classifieds. 24in, semiflat stays, I have both a small and an xsmall belt. Also have a hoodlum and some pouches. I am about a 30 in waist and I found, for whatever reason, the small was too big. It felt great until I needed to tighten it for heavy loads and it felt as though I was gonna run out of room on the webbing. So I bought the xsmall. The straps and frame are super comfortable, the padding on the tactial is amazing on the back, but the belt still rubbed me a little weird so I put it up for sale.

Marble

WKR
Awesome I’ll end up ordering the small then. Thank you for your time and helping me out
I have the same waist size (32/33) and have the small belt. I hunt from 100 degree weather to 0 and all clothes in between. I have carried up to 120 pounds, all on a lite frame. I couldn't be happier with my packs

Point is, call and ask kifaru if you have questions. People here will tell you what's best based on what they have, which to some extent is helpful. But get the info and report back on what you get!

Enjoy!!

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
King12

King12

FNG
I have the same waist size (32/33) and have the small belt. I hunt from 100 degree weather to 0 and all clothes in between. I have carried up to 120 pounds, all on a lite frame. I couldn't be happier with my packs

Point is, call and ask kifaru if you have questions. People here will tell you what's best based on what they have, which to some extent is helpful. But get the info and report back on what you get!

Enjoy!!

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
Ended up buying the duplex lite yesterday. 26” with a small belt. Figured the lite was probably best for me since it’s more breathable for my climate. Can’t wait to get it in the mail and try it out scouting next weekend… 120 degree weather all week

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
Tactical frame here. Gnargali sits on it. No complaints and hauls well. Haul heavy heavy bear bait loads and the sherman pouch with it. Hauls great. Sure the lite does as well.

Have not thought "wish I had a lite"

Swamp Fox

WKR
The small belt, Lite frame, and a sammich are the correct answers in this situation.