Kifaru Guide Lid vs. OGL ??

Looking for opinions and experiences regarding advantages of one over the other. I can see the obvious of capacity and organizational differences. Wondering if anyone has come up with unexpected pros/cons from actual field use? I don't want to over think it but that's what happens when trying to decide where to spend the money....

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
The regular guide doesn’t have as large of footprint as the OGL. I do like the zippered sleeve pocket on the OGL lid, and I don’t mind how there’s no sewn in shoulder straps like the original guide lid. I prefer the OGL because of the organization. I know quite a few that don’t like it because they can’t stuff as much things in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
OGL has a little less capacity but I like the organization. Rain gear fits perfect in the bigger pocket along with gloves, first aid in one of the smaller ones and then other stuff that I take in and out of the pack often in the other. In the guide I hated when I could hear stuff sliding around

I had both and gave the regular guide lid away. The OGL holds my puffy and hat in the big pocket, snacks in one small pocket, fire/cordage/ misc in the other small pocket, and a map in the underneath pocket.

Jimss

WKR
I have quite a few years experience with the guide lid. I like the roominess. Plenty of room for quick and easy access to raingear plus misc gear. I often put items in a Ziploc or small dry bags. I cut off the long straps. I can see where there would be advantages to each.

I have a guide lid that I don't really use anymore and I had hacked all of the extra strap stuff off to save some weight because I never used it. I do like the OGL but struggle with the limited capacity of the two small pockets. I keep my kill kit folded flat in the flat pocket on the OGL. That has worked good for me.

I like the OGL, but sometimes wish I had the guide lid. I think a guide lid with attachments for a small pouch or two would be my ideal setup.

I don't need the shoulder straps, it's only off my pack if I leave it at home.

OP
A
Thanks for the replies and insights everyone. I have used a guide lid and appreciated the space but I also was not fond of the bulge when I found myself overstuffing it. I think I know what items I would put in the OGL pockets so I am tempted to get one.
Looks like the OGL may form better as a lid to a non-stuffed pack due to "bending" in the middle - does that hold true?

ChrisAU

WKR
I swapped from the OGL to the regular guide lid because I good then attach a pocket to the guide lid if needed. I found the small pockets on the OGL to be a PITA.

Thanks for the replies and insights everyone. I have used a guide lid and appreciated the space but I also was not fond of the bulge when I found myself overstuffing it. I think I know what items I would put in the OGL pockets so I am tempted to get one.
Looks like the OGL may form better as a lid to a non-stuffed pack due to "bending" in the middle - does that hold true?
Yes it bends unless you overstuff the flat back pocket. I use mine over my Nomad 2 and it tends to bend at that middle seam and lay back over the Nomad pockets. I agree with ChrisAU I'm starting to find the small pockets to be a PITA. They are just too small for much of anything useful.

valtteri

FNG
I have both the original Guide Lid and the OGL. The thing I don’t like about the regular Guide Lid is the bulge and the way it fits (doesnt fit) over the pack. The OGL does indeed bend and I find it fits over the pack so much better. I like the small pockets and use them.

To the OP: I would say that the OGL is exactly what you think it is. If you have a feeling you would like it, you probably will.

Lawnboi

WKR
I have owned both, and currently own the OGL, though I don’t have a pack to use it on currently. (Multicam and for sale)

IMO the old longhunter is the best, if you can find one. It was a hair smaller in footprint and conformed to the top of the pack better.

Before getting an OGL think real hard about what you want to put in the small pockets. They are fairly small and I never really nailed down a use for them. The OGL has a huge footprint, and doesn’t like to sit nicely on top of a bag.

That said it offers great organization. The original guide is just a big open bag and I did like the shoulder strap deal on it for certain applications, but had the same problems with it not wanting to stay in place.

Now I just run a fulcrum so I don’t need the organization or space of a lid. I do run a large pocket on the collar of the bag and prefer that to any lid iv used from kifaru.

revcwood

FNG
I like the organization of the OGL. I have not run into the issue of not having enough space for what I need to put in it. To be fair, I have never run the original. Also, I have used the Guide Lid Kit straps and buckles to use just the lid as a pack - I had camera stuff organized in it and just needed a quick grab and go. I don't do this often.

OP
A
Thanks again everyone. Another item is that the OGL straps are optional or compression straps can come from a pack bag if you want to carry the OGL alone. With the regular Guide lid the straps are always there, as is the velcro strip....more material carry around and to hold water if you find yourself unlucky enough to get real wet.
I'm gonna order an OGL and give it a whirl.

Thanks again everyone. Another item is that the OGL straps are optional or compression straps can come from a pack bag if you want to carry the OGL alone. With the regular Guide lid the straps are always there, as is the velcro strip....more material carry around and to hold water if you find yourself unlucky enough to get real wet.
I'm gonna order an OGL and give it a whirl.

After a season of use I removed my guide lid straps because they were hardly ever used. Seemed like extra weight and bulk to me.

I use two compression straps to hold my bow against my bag. If I ever decide to carry my guide lid as a pack I’ll just pull those off and use them. So far it’s worked perfectly and I haven’t missed the sewn on guide lid straps yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk