Kifaru hoodlum released

skierhs

WKR
That is one of the concers i have. I'll let you know what i find out but i think adding a sherman should allow for that compresion to be uniform and not be to awkward. all speculation but we'll find out around a month from now.

sveltri

WKR
Seems like with a couple large belt pouches, one on the collar and one on the bottom would work well. Anything extra that you didn’t need fast access to could just go in the main bag.

marktole

WKR
I wonder how well it will perform compressed into a day pack mode. Id love to see it in that configuration with a sherman pocket / guide lid / organizer guide lid on it to see how well it would function in that regard.

I too wish there was pals matrix on the bottom sides of the bag, but the more I think about it...i don't think its really meant to attach a gun cradle to the side of the pack. with how those spotter pockets are laid out.

If this thing panel loaded it would be the cats ass

Couldn’t agree more with the panel loading part, that would make it a lot better in my opinion.

Could also use the 3 compression straps across the back like the crater/cavern/reckoning have. I have a reckoning and use those 3 straps to keep the bag nice and tight in day mode, strap my bow or stove to the pack, throw a jacket under if I shed a layer while hiking, all kinds of stuff.

But I guess Kifaru can’t make the pack to fit every single persons wants and needs so I’ll just keep using the one I have.

I wonder how well it will perform compressed into a day pack mode. Id love to see it in that configuration with a sherman pocket / guide lid / organizer guide lid on it to see how well it would function in that regard.

I too wish there was pals matrix on the bottom sides of the bag, but the more I think about it...i don't think its really meant to attach a gun cradle to the side of the pack. with how those spotter pockets are laid out.

If this thing panel loaded it would be the cats ass
I emailed Kifaru and they said they would get some pics up with it in day pack mode.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Aaron told me to get the hoodlum for my New Zealand trip in May. After really looking at it and the pocket layouts tho I couldn’t pull the trigger. I don’t like having the spotting scope pocket on each side due to the fact that I don’t really carry a spotter. Plus if you do carry a spotter and a tripod those two pockets are basically full. Also the way the compression straps go over both pockets make it kind of a pain to get in and out of the side pockets so there won’t be real easy access to them.

I ended up going with a mountain warrior. I like the back pocket as well as the mesh pocket on the inside. You can put a med belt pouch on the side for the legs of your spotting scope. And if you wanted a spotting scope pocket you could put one on the other side. Plus it was $100 cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skierhs

WKR
Aron just posted this photo on his story. Looks like it’ll compress really well for use as a day mode. CAF8980A-296E-406C-A8F2-FCB6FC6D4FB0.png

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
The straps going over those side pockets like that is one of the main reasons I went with a different pack.

I asked for pass through straps but they are too difficult to sew. The top strap on that can go above the pocket. Although I would kinda prefer a pass through, I never had an issue with my cavern pack straps over the pocket last year.

RafterR

FNG
Looking at buying my first kifaru pack. I’m trying to decide between the hoodlum and the muskeg. For those that have had their hands on both, pros and cons of each? Already have the kifaru frame, xpac ogl And sherman.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looking at buying my first kifaru pack. I’m trying to decide between the hoodlum and the muskeg. For those that have had their hands on both, pros and cons of each? Already have the kifaru frame, xpac ogl And sherman.

I’ve played with both and used the muskeg. I prefer the Hoodlum because of the side pockets. The back pocket on the Muskeg doesn’t get used much for some reason. I always end up throwing my spotter in the bag and sideways on top. I also don’t have a real need for the X-Pac material given where I hunt most.

RafterR

FNG
I’ve played with both and used the muskeg. I prefer the Hoodlum because of the side pockets. The back pocket on the Muskeg doesn’t get used much for some reason. I always end up throwing my spotter in the bag and sideways on top. I also don’t have a real need for the X-Pac material given where I hunt most.

Thanks Jordan! Given I don’t have any plans on hunting the PNW anytime soon and I’m big on separating out gear rather than just all in one big bag that makes a lot of sense. Looks like a hoodlum fits what I’m looking for.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
My Hoodlum should be here this evening. I have the Muskeg 5000 and Reckoning I can do a quick comparison on this weekend. Anything in particular you guys would like to see comparisons of on those? I’ll probably load up for a 5 day-ish trip and then collapse for day hunting.

Trekker

FNG
Mine came yesterday . Very happy with it. Here's pictures of it in day mode. I added the shock cord on the back.20190307_103408.jpg
20190307_103853-jpg.91118

Attachments

• 20190307_103853.jpg
    20190307_103853.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 841