Kifaru LPP vs First Lite Chamberlain vs Sitka Kelvin WS Hoodie vs. Kuiu Superdown

I’m in the market for a new puffy jacket and am looking hard at the LPP from Kifaru because of the sale going on. I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with the jackets in the title and what their opinions are. How much warmer are the down jackets compared to the LPP? The LPP is in the low $200 range with the sale, the FL Chamerlain is on sale for $280, the Sitka and Kuiu are both at $400. I’d love to hear some opinions. Thanks!

Clarence

WKR
Only have experience with the chamberlain. It was the warmest puffy I could get into without going up a level into the high end mountaineering stuff. Not the lightest, but dang is it a heater. Does exactly what I wanted. My caf puffy.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Reactions: j33

Vandy321

WKR
I sent the chamberlain back...it was WARM, almost too warm. I wish I'd kept it last year, instead I went with the Arcteryx Atom AR under a Beta SV shell on top of my smartwool 250 merino....Froze my but off in a snow storm this Nov and I'll be getting a Feathered Friends Eos this winter to come along next time. Synthetic is great if you don't have rain gear, but apples to apples in weight down is the superior insulator without a doubt (if you can keep it dry).

NickyD

FNG
I can’t speak of the others you asked about, but I love my FL Chamberlain. One of my favorite pieces of gear. The one thing you’ll quickly notice is that it’s not meant to be worn while active. I’ve been in -9 degree weather and was sweating within 10 minutes, even while walking slowly. But it’s such a crucial piece of gear when glassing or setup for an ambush as it will keep you from running back to the car in the cold. Any hunt beyond September (or if it’s getting very cold) it’s going in my pack. I don’t know if it’s better/worse than the others, but I don’t think you’d be disappointed if you got the chamberlain

Detect

WKR
Check out these comparisons of down jackets

Last edited:

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
None of the hunting brand puffys come close to the warmth and durability of high end non hunting brands.

If you have to have a camo one, of the ones you mentioned the chamberlin is by far the warmest and the LPP is by far the most durable.

I had the FL Chamberlin. It’s a very warm jacket!!! Definitely a glassing jacket vs. hiking around with. Overall, I like my Uncompahgre more, not as warm and it’s more suited for a mid-season jacket.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Had all four if I was rating them for warmth Chamberlin, Kelvin WS, and the LLP and Down pro to close to call.

But I will add I wear the LLP the most because it's the most durable, blocks the wind very well, and is very water-resistant. So basically I don't have to baby it as much as the others.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
None of the hunting brand puffys come close to the warmth and durability of high end non hunting brands.

If you have to have a camo one, of the ones you mentioned the chamberlin is by far the warmest and the LPP is by far the most durable.
I've had lots of non-hunting brand puffy's. Can you name a few that you are talking about?

Vandy321

WKR
I've had lots of non-hunting brand puffy's. Can you name a few that you are talking about?
After doing my own research the last week, I'd confidently say Feathered Friends Helios. The Chamberlain is nice, but no real clue of how much actual down is in it...some fancy 37.629 fibers or whatever they put on their site. FL cannot live up to the quality of a WM or FF product. If durability is not a concern because a shell will go over, the FF Helios just can't be beat...16oz weight (with hood), 8oz of 900 fill power down at a ratio of 90/10 down to feathers. At the same MSRP of the chamberlain, its a superior, packable product...unless camo is make or break.

Last edited:

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Any of the Nunatek models used or custom order from Nunatek. Feathered friends Helios, and the jacket I’ve used this season the Western Mountaneering Snojack Parka.

Some more info as I’ve tried two of the three... FF Helios isn’t super durable and the fit on it is weird. It’s super short in the sleeves and belly. It’s a really warm puffy though and the quality is top notch. Warmer than the chamberlin from FL.

Nunatek is custom to your size. You can even add inches to arm length and back if you like it longer in the back. You can also order what shell material you want whether you want light weight or super durable. Lots of great options and probably the best overall puffy coat you can buy. Saving up so I can replace my western mountaneering snojack parka with a custom order.

The WM snojack parks is ridiculously warm as well. It’s much more durable and fits better than the FF Helios for me personally. It’s got the gore wind stopper outter shell as well so it cuts wind better than any other puffy I’ve owned. Also warmer than the chamberlin from FL and cuts wind even better than the LPP. It’s on par with the LPP for durability as well.

Last edited:
I sent the chamberlain back...it was WARM, almost too warm. I wish I'd kept it last year, instead I went with the Arcteryx Atom AR under a Beta SV shell on top of my smartwool 250 merino....Froze my but off in a snow storm this Nov and I'll be getting a Feathered Friends Eos this winter to come along next time. Synthetic is great if you don't have rain gear, but apples to apples in weight down is the superior insulator without a doubt (if you can keep it dry).

Were you sitting still? How cold was it? Those 3 pieces together are the “go to” for many in very cold temps. Some even with just an Atom LT under a Beta AR with a decent base layer. I can’t imagine getting cold in that shell, AR, and a 250 base layer. Must have been some shitty conditions.

Maverick1

WKR
Check out these comparisons of down jackets
Interesting. Kuiu scored dead last in warmth per $.

Vandy321

WKR
Were you sitting still? How cold was it? Those 3 pieces together are the “go to” for many in very cold temps. Some even with just an Atom LT under a Beta AR with a decent base layer. I can’t imagine getting cold in that shell, AR, and a 250 base layer. Must have been some shitty conditions.
It was 20 degrees, snowing and blowing 20-30mph on a Ridgeline. I has my smartwool 250, sitke LW hoodie, heavyweight hoodie, windstopper vest, Atom AR and my Beta SV shell...I just read my list and remember I had every single piece of layer on I had. I was cold, so cold I picked up and left. It could have been my legs as I only had my 250 merino and fjaraven keb pants which are thin...I wrapped my legs in my kifaru woobie...feet went numb. 2 hours of sitting was all I could do.

Upon further review I've settled on the Montbell Apline (not the alpine light) over the FF helios. Nearly equal in oz of fill...the alpine is 800 power vs 900, but it is box baffle and FF is sewn through. Both about 16 oz overall. According to the math wizzards on Backpacking light forum, they both should have a thermo-neutral rating for camp type chores at about 2 deg F.

Last edited:
It was 20 degrees, snowing and blowing 20-30mph on a Ridgeline. I has my smartwool 250, sitke LW hoodie, heavyweight hoodie, windstopper vest, Atom AR and my Beta SV shell...I just read my list and remember I had every single piece of layer on I had. I was cold, so cold I picked up and left. It could have been my legs as I only had my 250 merino and fjaraven keb pants which are thin...I wrapped my legs in my kifaru woobie...feet went numb. 2 hours of sitting was all I could do.

Upon further review I've settled on the Montbell Apline (not the alpine light) over the FF helios. Nearly equal in oz of fill...the alpine is 800 power vs 900, but it is box baffle and FF is sewn through. Both about 16 oz overall. According to the needs on BL forum, they both should have a thermo-neutral rating for camp type chores at about 2 deg F.
I appreciate the reply. Yes, those were some less than ideal conditions. I agree with what you said about your legs. I’ve noticed we spend a lot of time and money searching/buying items to keep our upper half (and most important) warm, but usually just have a single base layer and a pair of non insulated pants on our bottom half.

As to my original inquiry, I’m somewhat of an Arc’teryx enthusiast so it caught my attention.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Any of the Nunatek models used or custom order from Nunatek. Feathered friends Helios, and the jacket I’ve used this season the Western Mountaneering Snojack Parka.

Some more info as I’ve tried two of the three... FF Helios isn’t super durable and the fit on it is weird. It’s super short in the sleeves and belly. It’s a really warm puffy though and the quality is top notch. Warmer than the chamberlin from FL.

Nunatek is custom to your size. You can even add inches to arm length and back if you like it longer in the back. You can also order what shell material you want whether you want light weight or super durable. Lots of great options and probably the best overall puffy coat you can buy. Saving up so I can replace my western mountaneering snojack parka with a custom order.

The WM snojack parks is ridiculously warm as well. It’s much more durable and fits better than the FF Helios for me personally. It’s got the gore wind stopper outter shell as well so it cuts wind better than any other puffy I’ve owned. Also warmer than the chamberlin from FL and cuts wind even better than the LPP. It’s on par with the LPP for durability as well.

What temperatures have you (personally) used each of these, with zero movement for multiple hours while being remaining completely comfortable?

Whatever Nunatek you have (details please)
FF Helios
WM Snkjack
Kifaru LPP
FL Chamberlin

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
What temperatures have you (personally) used each of these, with zero movement for multiple hours while being remaining completely comfortable?

Whatever Nunatek you have (details please)
FF Helios
WM Snkjack
Kifaru LPP
FL Chamberlin
Haven’t owned a Nunatak only tried on/borrowed one from a friend from Alaska when it was -37 F and blowing strong wind and my LPP was absolutely no match for the temps. He told me to throw on his coat and go back outside so I obliged. A whole different level of jacket.

For your questions, it’s hard to say on all of them. I’ve owned each one over the last few years and I spend a lot of time in the field. Trying to think of hunts where I was “completely still” for more than 5 or so hours. I usually get moving after 5 or 6 hours of sitting still.

Probably the best test would be the 6-8 hour sits for whitetail. I’ve since switched to dedicated bibs and super heavy jacket for those hunts when it’s cold. Something I’d never backpack or hunt with. Before the bibs and heavy jacket I’ve sat still in anywhere from 40 degrees F down to -25 F. And all temps in between. I’ve worn LPP, WM, Helios, and Chamberlin in those scenarios. What info on each are you looking for exactly? Each one has some strengths and weaknesses, and each one provides torso and core “warmth” overall. Most guys biggest flaw in keeping warm stationary is not insulating their legs, hips, and butt.

These threads pop up all the time for “best” puffy jacket and I like to try to broaden people’s horizons from the honestly crappy jackets for the price from Kuiu, FL, and Sitka.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member

Thanks!

So outside of custom jackets and an $800 dollar jacket what else you got?

I don't find the Chamberlin durable at all.

Not trying to be a dick I thought you might have something that competed in that production price range.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Thanks!

So outside of custom jackets and an $800 dollar jacket what else you got?

I don't find the Chamberlin durable at all.

Not trying to be a dick I thought you might have something that competed in that production price range.
I didn’t take as you being a dick at all. And even if you were it doesn’t bother me.

There are other “non hunting” brand jackets that work as well or better than the FL, KUIU, and Sitka variants. Pretty much anything in the same fill power and weight from Patagonia (gasp the horror of mentioning them) is going to be a better quality and warmer coat as well. Same with Northface and Filson. Outdoor research and Arcteryx make really nice quality and field resistant puffy coats as well.

The LPP hits a nice little niche in warmth and durability at its price point. It’s the one “hunting” brand puffy coat I’d reccomend to guys before any of the other brands I’ve mentioned (depending on temp needs) . As far as light weight, packable, down or synthetic puffy coats go I try to broaden guys horizons a little bit is all. There’s better quality and greater warmth if you’re okay stepping away from the hype and camo colors is all.