Kifaru Meat Hauling

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
After reading and watching videos for 3 years now, I am finally convinced I need to upgrade my pack. I have decided to go with the Kifaru lite frame paired with the Reckoning bag and some accessories. I am primarily a whitetail hunter that likes to get off the beaten path and dragging deer is getting to be more difficult every year. My drags are typically 1.5 to 3 miles where I am normally successful. My main reason for the backpack is future elk hunts, but I think I can utilize this system more by packing my deer out of the mountains. I am not sure I want to pack meat in the bag but may change my mind after using it. My question is on the quarter panel vs. the cargo net for packing meat. My idea is to leave the bag off the frame for my deer hauling and these two items both look to fit the need to get my deer out of the woods. I do not wear a pack when I hunt, so I'm trying to keep this as light and functional as I can. What are your thoughts and experiences hauling meat with a system like this and which one would you choose of the two?

FatBuddah

WKR
I have the same frame paired with the Nomad II, OGL, and the cargo net. The net works well enough, but it takes some working of the load to get it to lay correctly (meaning horizontal straps aligning w/ frame points). After 4 elk, i think for your situation, the quarter panel is a better fit and just order 3 compression straps to go horizontal over the panel.
Cheers

Tradchef

WKR
Here’s a 24” lite frame and a woodsman from this past 2018 season. I packed a few deer on the meat shelf and used the main bag for the elk to try and see the difference. Both ways are good but I prefer a dry bag inside my main pack. I’m mostly a day hunter with my work schedule so I don’t carry a ton of gear with me. I also solo hunt 99% of the time and I was thinking of stepping up to a reckoning to cut down on trips packing meat. Whichever way you choose they both work just fine. I wash my bags within a day or two of a pack out and it washes out clean and looks good as new.

Attachments

• 43541C8B-0532-4A64-AFA6-DD9BBFC04562.jpeg
    43541C8B-0532-4A64-AFA6-DD9BBFC04562.jpeg
    230 KB · Views: 196

ChrisAU

WKR
The reckoning has a meat shelf, I'd get some game bags and just the shelf on the reckoning. You'll only save 18-21 ounces by using a cargo net or cargo panel and you'd still have the whole bag.

GMC

Lil-Rokslider
I'm an eastern deer and turkey hunter mainly. I've done one Western elk hunt and hope to do more so I've been following/watching as much as possible. I bought a used duplex hunter frame, gen 1 nomad, and an extra compression strap kit and think

GMC

Lil-Rokslider
It's going to be perfect. Had a cargo net for a while but feel the nomad and straps will be easier to secure loads. Sorry I got big thumb and sent the first message before finishing!!

Felix40

WKR
Ive hauled two whitetail bucks and a sheep out whole (gutted) using just a grab it and a couple compression straps. That would probably be the lightest option for you and its super easy.

OP
S

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
All good advise. I did not realize the Reckoning was that close in weight to the other items mentioned. I thought it was heavier. I thought of the Grab it also. I know another member mentioned in another thread about running it between his bag and frame in place of a meat shelf. I will probably end up using the bag as the meat hauler in the end but want to try a few things out and see what is best for me. The Grab it will be useful for something even if I do not use it for the meat hauling so I guess I have to think about that a little harder. The elk pic above is great on the frame. I'd like to see some deer pics if anyone has any on their frames. Might make my decision a little easier. Thanks again.

aion2come

WKR
put your meat inside a plastic bag if possible. That material and the webbing will all soak up blood and start stinking. The other option would be to get Pods8 to make you something out of xpac which you could just wipe off.

OP
S

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
Wow. When you said you hauled whole animals, I didn't expect that. I expected whole animals quartered and in bags! That's impressive. Both on your part and on the Frame/Grab it. I'm not sure I'd be able to do that.

rbljack

WKR
I don't think you can go wrong with the reckoning for the ability to carry gear, convert the bag to a daypack, you have the meatshelf if you decide to use it for hauling gear or meat....just lots of options and the weight of that bag isn't terrible either. I dont have the nomad, but I can see why a lot of guys like them for similar reasons (versatility.I bought the reckoning for my elk hunt last fall. Didn't tag out, but the bag is functional, I like the layout, the center zip is handy, the center straps are great for hauling rifle bow or whatever. the weight does start adding up though as you add pockets, guide lids, hydration bladder, etc. I have already starting prepping my reckoning bag for turkey season in the MTN of NM. its almost go time! I like using 1 bag for everything because I get used a "storage system" for gear and I like to stick with it. Less stuff gets lost or misplaced. I also can find what I need in the dark, or during an emergency. A lot of the stuff goes on every hunt like first aid, water filtration, fire kit, etc. Obviously I wish I could have hauled some meat with it last fall so I could provide more info on that. I brought 2 35 gallon dry bags in case I wanted to carry the meat in the bag. But my plan was to utilze the meat shelf.

Felix40

WKR
Wow. When you said you hauled whole animals, I didn't expect that. I expected whole animals quartered and in bags! That's impressive. Both on your part and on the Frame/Grab it. I'm not sure I'd be able to do that.
IMG_3225.JPG
I do quarter stuff thats a longer walk but its much easier to put quarters inside the bag. It just contains them a lot better. When you get 4 quarters plus a bag of extra meat plus the head it gets kind of hard to make sure its all strapped in tight for the hike out. The grab it probably wont be ideal for that. If you debone into a game bag the grab it works great because a deer will fit in one deboned bag pretty easy. Thats easy to strap down.

I would be afraid to guess the weight of the deer.

Tradchef

WKR
Here’s a mulie doe from last season. Meat on the inside and hide on the outside.

Attachments

• E1509430-808F-4EAA-BCF8-378C80C1C61F.jpeg
    E1509430-808F-4EAA-BCF8-378C80C1C61F.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 41EC65CD-1935-46F3-9495-A21D5FD6D4A4.jpeg
    41EC65CD-1935-46F3-9495-A21D5FD6D4A4.jpeg
    285.4 KB · Views: 90
If I was in the market for a new pack from Kifaru your combo would be my top pick.

Being an Eastern whitetail hunter first. I bought a MR Terraframe 50 to pack stands and carry my deer instead of dragging when I am in super thick areas or back a ways from the road.

I got the pack from Sierra.com last summer for our elk hunt which didn’t happen but I used it to pack 3 deer ranging from 80-140 pounds dressed weight and it performed flawlessly at a fraction of what the Kifaru costs.

0882e7d8a039ec7048ea45f29725b4ca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk