Kifaru or ? on a budget for 6'5" son

My son and I are going on a backpack archery elk hunt this fall.

We have never done this before and I am gearing up for two. I bought a MR Glacier for both of us based upon the generally very positive reviews I have found on the Web as well as seeing Aron Snyder say he recommends the brand when someone can't fit in the Kifaru pack on the Gritty Bowmen podcasts.

Unfortunately my son is 6'5" with a 23" torso. According to MR website it says it will fit to a 24" torso. Well if you want the load lifters to work this is a lie. I fit the pack according to their instructions on a youtube video and the lifters are maybe even with the shoulders. I have already laid out $2000 in equipment togo on this trip and a $7-800 pack isn't factored into the budget.

Everyone is telling me to get a Kifaru. I have looked on the various classifieds for a used and it seems most of the ones referring to 26-28 inch frame are people looking to buy that size and not sell.

Whats the downside to keeping the MR? If I go to a new Kifaru I think I would do the Hunting Frame, the Grab It with some straps and a dry bag for just under 500 which is almost double what I paid for the MR. But significantly less than what a Kifaru bag would add. Would this be a good system?

As I said I am trying to get the best bang for my buck and am gearing up for two and have no idea how often we could do this in the future since we live in NJ and neither of us have done this before so I have no idea if this is going to be a one and done with him or not?

Brendan

WKR
Ok, here's the cheap option. At 6'5" - your son is probably young, big and strong enough to make the best of the pack you have. Make sure you're committed before going whole hog on super expensive gear that he might not use again.

Between the two of you, two loads and you'll have an Elk out. I've done one in two by myself, and one in 3, and I'm 5'11" 175.

oldgoat

WKR
You would have to special order the 28" frame and get the stuff you mentioned and sell the other one or send it back if you can and watch for deals on the classifieds and auction sight and add a little at a time. But if you're kid is young and tough, the MR will probably work good enough, older you get the better you should buy!

Dam bro wish you were my dad! haha....need another son? JK. Honestly I'm biased. I didn't even know there were other pack manufacturers! lol. Okay enough bs.

Even getting Kifaru at a bargain will be pricy. But honestly, the frames, packs, pockets etc are great. I would say yes pull the trigger on getting that system, but you've already purchased some good packs. Perhaps running with what you got will give your son an opportunity to have a good exercise in perseverance.

If not, kifaru makes larger frames, and you can look in the Rhino Den for marked down packs, and you can always get pockets for whatever bags are in the Rhino Den. Maybe sell the MR pack you d ont want, and use that to get the frame u want. Best of luck to you and your son. I know it probably wasn't helpful. In spite of price Kirau is worth ever penny and then some.
My son and I are going on a backpack archery elk hunt this fall.

We have never done this before and I am gearing up for two. I bought a MR Glacier for both of us based upon the generally very positive reviews I have found on the Web as well as seeing Aron Snyder say he recommends the brand when someone can't fit in the Kifaru pack on the Gritty Bowmen podcasts.

Unfortunately my son is 6'5" with a 23" torso. According to MR website it says it will fit to a 24" torso. Well if you want the load lifters to work this is a lie. I fit the pack according to their instructions on a youtube video and the lifters are maybe even with the shoulders. I have already laid out $2000 in equipment togo on this trip and a $7-800 pack isn't factored into the budget.

Everyone is telling me to get a Kifaru. I have looked on the various classifieds for a used and it seems most of the ones referring to 26-28 inch frame are people looking to buy that size and not sell.

Whats the downside to keeping the MR? If I go to a new Kifaru I think I would do the Hunting Frame, the Grab It with some straps and a dry bag for just under 500 which is almost double what I paid for the MR. But significantly less than what a Kifaru bag would add. Would this be a good system?

As I said I am trying to get the best bang for my buck and am gearing up for two and have no idea how often we could do this in the future since we live in NJ and neither of us have done this before so I have no idea if this is going to be a one and done with him or not?

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

You would have to special order the 28" frame and get the stuff you mentioned and sell the other one or send it back if you can and watch for deals on the classifieds and auction sight and add a little at a time. But if you're kid is young and tough, the MR will probably work good enough, older you get the better you should buy!
way better advice than mine haha.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

Huntnfmly

Lil-Rokslider
As said before sell the mr and get him the 28" Kifaru frame and set it up as you were saying.
Your son may be young and strong but if those load lifters on the mr don't do what they're suppose to it won't really be as enjoyable as the kifaru that fits.
Even though hauling out elk quarters really isn't all that enjoyable anyways but you get my meaning and good luck on your hunt

MR used to make a load lifter extender for this exact problem. Contact them they might still.

I'm 6'5" and use 26" hunting frame with no problems FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F
MR used to make a load lifter extender for this exact problem. Contact them they might still.

I'm 6'5" and use 26" hunting frame with no problems FYI.

I spoke to MR today asking how to adjust it to fit and they said that frame is only offered in one size with multiple size Yokes and waist belts and there was no fix within their line. + They told me I could return it to them which seemed odd since I bought it from Moosejaw.com.

I also spoke to someone at Kifaru today and he said a 26" frame should fit but I would have to order it and it would be about 5 weeks for delivery. Which leaves me with my question of what to do? My wallet is telling me to keep the MR pack and tell him to suck it up. But I also don't want to hear the complaining if it's too uncomfortable with weight. Unfortunately I have nothing for reference since my last pack was an EMS external frame from when I was in college.

Last edited:
Kifaru or ? on a budget for 6'5" son

The MR is still better than 90% of backpacks out there. Keep his packweight to 45lbs hunting and he'll be comfortable. I would say the majority of the people don't use the cadillac of backpacks and you don't really notice until you're packing meat out. It'll suck either way.

Order him a kifaru frame. If you want to keep the MR (they make great packs), over the next five weeks have your son start training with yours. As he works his way into his gear weight + 40 lbs you'll know if he can make it work or not. If he can, cancel the kifaru or send it back. If he can't, find a bag to accompany the frame in the classifieds and you're done. Personally, I would order him a kifaru that will last him the rest of his life, and if elk hunting isn't for him you can sell it here for not much less than your initial investment. Good luck.

I cut some longer stays for my pack to get the load lifters above my shoulders. Not sure if your pack would allow for that. It was a “this is what I have, can’t afford a new pack” move as well. Even if you can cram in one more inch why not.

I wander if people actually read and comprehend sometimes. Or, do they just talk to be heard? The OP has stated he doesn’t want to spend a bunch more money. So keeping the MR and buying a Kifaru ain’t an option. His only two options are keeping the one he has or returning it and buying a Kifaru. I’d do like Brendan and a few others said. However, I’d check to ensure the torso was right by ensuring the hip belt middle ran over the top of the hip bones when buckled. Making sure the belt ran horizontally while doing this. Then check to make sure the shoulder harness contours to lay on his shoulders well. Get that right if it’s not. The. Tell him to suck it up buttercup.

Btaylor

WKR
You could call and talk to the guys at seek outside about their packs. They have 26&28" extenders for just such an issue.

bsnedeker

WKR
I concur with the advice to keep the MR pack you have today. As said above, if he keeps the pack weight under 50 pounds he won't find a huge need for load lifting. If you get an animal down (Remember that is a BIG if considering this is your first western hunt, your expectation should be that you are there to learn) your son is young and can suck it up for the packout!

I've gone on two western hunts loaded up with an Eberlestock Skycrane system that was actually LOWER than my shoulders (I'm around 6'1") so I can speak from experience on this one! I've only upgraded to a Kifaru this year because I know for a fact this is going to be a lifelong obsession for me.

You're a great dad for doing this, by the way!

OP
F
I concur with the advice to keep the MR pack you have today. As said above, if he keeps the pack weight under 50 pounds he won't find a huge need for load lifting. If you get an animal down (Remember that is a BIG if considering this is your first western hunt, your expectation should be that you are there to learn) your son is young and can suck it up for the packout!

I've gone on two western hunts loaded up with an Eberlestock Skycrane system that was actually LOWER than my shoulders (I'm around 6'1") so I can speak from experience on this one! I've only upgraded to a Kifaru this year because I know for a fact this is going to be a lifelong obsession for me.

You're a great dad for doing this, by the way!

Thanks for the kind words and this is definitely the way I am leaning as I know the odds of being successful are long. :rolleyes: I am going to adjust mine to fit his torso and see how he does with 45-50 pounds on a 6 mile loop I have been doing and see how he does before I make a decision. I believe I read I had up to a year to return his pack to moosejaw so I have some flexibility on timing.

I also am very appreciative of the members here. One just sent me a PM and offered to lend me his Seek Outside pack for the trip!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My wallet is telling me to keep the MR pack and tell him to suck it up.

Hmmmm........I wonder what we all did BEFORE packs with load lifters even existed.;)

I'm 6'6" and have packed out many elk over the years, but only a couple times did I ever use a pack with load lifters. To be quite honest, my favorite pack frame to haul heavy loads is my Bull-Pac, and it doesn't have any lifters at all.

For years I hunted without a camera so I don't have any pics from a lot of years, but I like this pic because it brings back memories......even though it isn't me or anyone I know. We used to do these kinds of carries all the time.......you just do what you gotta do with what you have.

Attachments

• hindquarters.jpg
    hindquarters.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

rayporter

WKR
what ever you choose you better hurry.

time is slipping away on you. if you get new gear you have to set it up and test and get yourself and the gear broken in.

these are things that you should be doing now.

jspradley

WKR
"Hunting Frame, the Grab It with some straps and a dry bag "

change the grabit to a cargo net and you have my setup. :)

The frame is the most important part of the Kifaru system IMO, you should be able to score one used for around $300-350.

But if you can't find one in time, tell junior to suck it up lol

matthewmt

WKR
Surprised no one has mentioned seek outside packs. They offer 4" extensions for the frames which is what I had prior to my kifaru. 28" frame and a light pack. Seems like they come up for sale quite a bit and they are really comfortable.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Hmmmm........I wonder what we all did BEFORE packs with load lifters even existed.;)

I'm 6'6" and have packed out many elk over the years, but only a couple times did I ever use a pack with load lifters. To be quite honest, my favorite pack frame to haul heavy loads is my Bull-Pac, and it doesn't have any lifters at all.

For years I hunted without a camera so I don't have any pics from a lot of years, but I like this pic because it brings back memories......even though it isn't me or anyone I know. We used to do these kinds of carries all the time.......you just do what you gotta do with what you have.

First elk load I packed out, I didn't know how to set a pack up right for fit. My shoulder handled the 97 pound, scale weighed load. And, I wasn't sore the next day either. I was just to ignorant to know better.