Kifaru pack belt size

After getting my new bt-2 dialed in I noticed the belt pads are right on the line of being too short, I'm a 34" waist and the tag on the belt is (s). The belt is not uncomfortable , and it'll have to do as I'm leaving for my hunt tomorrow. My question is , is the small belt normally sized to 34", or would that be in the medium range? Im not worried , if it was a mistake I know kifaru will take care of it. I'm curious to hear what size belts similar size guys wear.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That's the correct belt, as a medium will bottom out with heavy loads.

Keep in mind that the belt will stretch a bit after use (like a bow string), so you'll gain a bit when that happens. Also, your lumbar pad will compress when the pack is loaded heavy/belt is pulled tight, so that will need to be taken into consideration as well.

So yes, that's the correct belt.

34" here. They sent a small with my Bikini as well. I sent it back for a medium. They say a small fits a 34, but my hips disagree. The small was not comfortable and I've had no problems getting the belt tight with heavy loads.

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 34" waist and I prefer a small belt. I have both medium and small belts and under heavy loads I've found that I can't tighten a medium as much as I would like. If the small belt is not uncomfortable then I would stick with the small.

What is the max weight you tested with your pack? When I get above 70lbs I prefer the small belt.

OP
C
I have a 34" waist and I prefer a small belt. I have both medium and small belts and under heavy loads I've found that I can't tighten a medium as much as I would like. If the small belt is not uncomfortable then I would stick with the small.

What is the max weight you tested with your pack? When I get above 70lbs I prefer the small belt.

100# was the most (2 sandbags) and I did maybe quarter mile with that weight around the farm. There was no discomfort with the belt, it just fit a little different than other packs I've had. I get what Aron said about getting broke in and stretching, hadn't thought of that. Thanks guys

Keep in mind that the belt will stretch a bit after use (like a bow string), so you'll gain a bit when that happens. Also, your lumbar pad will compress when the pack is loaded heavy/belt is pulled tight, so that will need to be taken into consideration as well.

Damnit. Now I'm gonna end up buying a small belt when mine stretches out.

I have no idea what the size of my belt is but I have a 30 inch waist and that is size I indicated when ordering my pack 6 years ago. I've packed more heavy loads (80+) than I care to remember. The belt fit fine when I got it and it still works just fine to this day.

chopchop

FNG
34" here. They sent a small with my Bikini as well. I sent it back for a medium. They say a small fits a 34, but my hips disagree. The small was not comfortable and I've had no problems getting the belt tight with heavy loads.

I'm a 33/34" waist. The medium belt bottoms out on me if I don't have any winter layering. I need about 3/4" more webbing on each side. I imagine a small would work, but I think I'd be on the upper end of it like you were. I just happen to fall right at the boundary. I'll probably try and pick up a used small belt to try out, but can't justify the price of one belt for summer and one for winter at the moment.

For anyone who is interested: there is a mod you can do with a duplex belt to cinch it a bit tighter, basically adding some webbing and ladderlocs or ghooks to the PALS and adding your own pulls to it. Check the Kifaru Gear Mods / Tweaks thread on their site for how to do it.

Last edited:
OP
C

Just got back from a 4 day hunt and over 40 miles total with the new pack, and you were right. The belt did stretch just enough to be fine. It's a awesome pack, i am very pleased with it.