Kifaru Reckoning Vs Exo k3 4800

OP
T

Trophy8

FNG
I tried to call them yesterday. Kifaru answered. Exo didn’t. I’ll try em again next week.

Tradchef

WKR
I use a reckoning and have been super happy with it. This will be my 4th season with it and I have no complaints. I backpack a lot with and it holds what I need. It’s a pretty simple design which works very well. I dig the center zip a lot. Only thing I wish was different is the side pockets. I wish they zipped instead of cinched but they work just fine. If you like that design the fulcrum is a bigger version that addresses those issues. I’ve never used an exo so I can’t comment on that but I’ve had no reason to switch.

Last edited:

Dries

WKR
No way to do that. Nobody anywhere near me has them. I’m all ears on how to pull that off without buying both lol
I would order both and send the one that doesn’t fit with weight in it and send it back. They both have a really good amount of time for you to try them on and send back if they don’t fit.

I used Kifaru for several years. I now use Exo. I never really found any difference in comfort. The two are extremely good when it comes to comfort and fit. I switched because of of the simplicity of the bag and meat loading. I’m not a very smart person and the Kifaru kicked my butt when trying to use it. The Exo is just more simple and less strapy.

roborob

FNG
I haven't used Exo yet but I had a reckoning before downsizing packs. I like kifaru's frame but I haven't tried anything else to compare it to. The reckoning was a bit too simple for me as it is really barebones storage/organization wise and I wasn't a fan of how you use a water bladder with it.

Plus I think kifaru's stuff in general has too many straps on them. It makes them pretty versatile but more annoying to use IMO.

Plus I think kifaru's stuff in general has too many straps on them. It makes them pretty versatile but more annoying to use IMO.
i personally like that.... when it comes down to securing a heavy load, i'm glad they're there... i hate not enough straps when packing meat.... some loads of meat just want to squirt out the side no matter what, if you don't have enough compression

i personally like that.... when it comes down to securing a heavy load, i'm glad they're there... i hate not enough straps when packing meat.... some loads of meat just want to squirt out the side no matter what, if you don't have enough compression
Hoe do you like the gnargali? It was gonna be my next purchase but I managed to pick up an exo k3 4800. I may still get the gnargali but I've yet to play with the exo. I'm not sure it'll carry a rifle the way I want it to

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Hoe do you like the gnargali? It was gonna be my next purchase but I managed to pick up an exo k3 4800. I may still get the gnargali but I've yet to play with the exo. I'm not sure it'll carry a rifle the way I want it to

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
it's about perfect for me... wish there was xpac under the cordura panel in the back, but not a big deal, and i have a plan for that

I haven’t tried the exo, they seem to have a pretty good following and like to check one out but I do really like my reckoning. It’s pretty easy to set it up for whatever type of trip, be it a day hike or several days by adding or removing a lid, exterior pockets or water bottle holders. I was impressed by how it handled a crazy amount of elk weight. The center two way zipper is very convenient and I like the way pretty much all of the straps are easily moved around to different anchor points depending on the need. The meat shelf did take some figuring but it turned out I was making it harder than it was after watching a video and it works great. They put out some pretty informative videos on the pack and different ways to set it up. I got rid of two packs and replaced them with this one. I think I would have a hard time finding a more versatile pack for my needs. It’s not particularly light but is bombproof which is a good trade off for me.

i have a kifaru duplex lite and a K2, those are the 2 systems i kept after a few years of trying a bunch. i have a reckoning, gnargali, and stryker xl for my kifaru, but the reckoning has never left the house, so can't comment too much on it, the gnargali fit my needs a little better.

for what it's worth, you have it narrowed down to some great options, and doubt you'll be bummed out with one over the other... the EXO 4800 is a super versatile setup, the ma duece or reckoning would be as well. i personally don't mind kifaru bags(wouldn't trade the stryker xl for any day pack) i do like the stretch pockets on EXO bags, they are handy for clothes or a wet shelter, but you can throw a grab it 2 on a kifaru and have the same convenience.

when it comes time to throw gear in a bag for a hunt, i do gravitate towards the kifaru more often than not, but both great companies backed by great people.... customer service is top notch from both, same with build quality
Way nice I was looking at the reckoning. Since it was on sale. Probably the reason it's on sale.

mtblackdog

Lil-Rokslider
Ive had both. Im 6'0 220. I just cant get comfortable with the Kifaru. And they are way more tricky to "load up" I pack meat alot. The Exo's are just a much faster better thought out design.

I have a the reckoning and my dad has a k2 3500 I've used them both his is alot simpler and feels really comfortable under 50 60 pounds over that I'll take my kifaru any day. Part of that is that frame is mine and I've spent quite a bit of time fitting g it to myself

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Ive had both. Im 6'0 220. I just cant get comfortable with the Kifaru. And they are way more tricky to "load up" I pack meat alot. The Exo's are just a much faster better thought out design.
the EXO is a very easy system for using the meat shelf, and the meat shelf is designed well. that's one reason i like the stryker xl so much, super quick to load meat. besides the stryker, meat goes in the bag with my kifaru... that was one of the driving forces i got the gnargali, wish it was all xpac, but mostly xpac is better than all cordura, because it is so easy to clean up if some blood gets on it packing meat.

we all have a slightly different need in packs, and preferences in features, and different packs will fit us each differently.... the EXO is a great system, i agree they nailed the meat shelf design, it's the most intuitive i have used, and EXO is a very well designed system all around.

can't really make a bad choice if you narrow it down to those 2 companies

I've had a K3 4800 for the last few years and it's been great, zero complaints from me. I've used it for a day pack, multi day pack and hauling meat.

I just got a Kifaru Reckoning to replace it because I'm always trying out new stuff. Initial impressions are that the Kifaru is heavier, fits great and quality of construction is very good. Kifaru Reckoning is bigger, way more straps and buckles, could be useful at times and annoying at other times. EXO bag has better organization, comes with a lid if that's important to you, bag/frame/suspension feels a little less durable than Kifaru but it's never failed or been any kind of issue.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy either one, they'll both suit most uses for a big game hunting pack.

sivart

WKR
I would get the hoodlum over the reckoning, because of the zippered side pockets.

jreyna

FNG
I was hunting out of a traditional backpacking bag the past two seasons, but late season I got a great deal on an Exo 4800 late last season. Unfortunately I didn't get to pack out any game, but it's easily the most comfortable bag I've ever had. It transfers weight well and sits comfortably. Also hard to beat that they are manufactured in my hometown.

I’ve been running the Exos the last several years. I currently own 3 (2 K2 5500s and a K2 3500 cipher 😁). I’ve tried the K3s and stuck with the K2 systems. I recently bought a Kifaru Stryker XL w/a Duplex Lite frame for some of the forementioned reasons @roosiebull said.

I’d elaborate more but @roosiebull pretty much summed up the Exo adequately. If I was debating between an Exo and a Kifaru I’d read and then re-read his comment(s).

My main reasons for why I haven’t gone with Kifaru besides the Tarryall and Stryker XL that I own is I dislike meat going into the main bag compartment. It’s not lost, on me that Kifaru does make meat shelf frames.
Lastly, I’m like a few other ppl on this thread…..the straps, molle webbing, and buckles just doesn’t get my jollies up.

Dalen88

Lil-Rokslider
i ran a k2 for 3 seasons, i found under heavy loads it would sag so i bought the k3 belt and it does feel better. Like others i like to mess around with gear so i got a kifaru hoodlum and now a styker xl, does seem to pull me backwards though even after changing the stays, need to mess around with it some more. The exo is for sure a simpler pack and i like that about it. Both excellent build quality and great CS.