Kifaru Smith Cylinder Stove Feedback

rj2

WKR
Anyone using this stove? What do you think about it? If you had to get a new stove, would you get another? What do you think about assembly?

I'm bouncing around between the smith, the LO, seek u-turn, and a diy stove like the tigoat wifi. The smith is crazy light, and a good price. Just wondering how they hold up.

Last edited:
Love my Smith Cylinder stove.

I’ve owned and used the Lite Outdoors, TiGoat cylinder, Kifaru parastove and medium box stove but the Smith Cylinder has been the best for its lightweight, ease of set up, minimal small pieces to lose, and price.

All the stoves mentioned above worked but the Smith Cylinder has been the best for me by far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've had mine for about 3 years now and no issues. 18"'er and I've used it a lot. I think assembly is pretty simple, but the little wires you twist to assemble aren't my favorite. But the only way I see getting around that is going a box stove and you'll probably gain some ounces there. Thinking out loud there as I've not used a box stove, but have been around the Seek Outside one a little bit. For a backpacking stove I would buy another Smith cylinder for sure.

Reactions: rj2

reaper

WKR
Anyone using this stove? What do you think about it? If you had to get a new stove, would you get another? What do you think about assembly?

I'm bouncing around between the smith, the LO, seek u-turn, and a diy stove. The smith is crazy light, and a good price. Just wondering how they hold up.
Go with seekoutside or if you can find a kifaru oval stove in the classifieds this thing is super lightweight.Seekoutside still the best option with the slidding door and damper control.Cylinder stoves are not good on long time use,the body will wrap anyways,i have too much fails on cylinder stoves they are sh$#,this is my opinion and experiences.

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk

Reactions: rj2

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Love my Smith Cylinder stove.

I’ve owned and used the Lite Outdoors, TiGoat cylinder, Kifaru parastove and medium box stove but the Smith Cylinder has been the best for its lightweight, ease of set up, minimal small pieces to lose, and price.

All the stoves mentioned above worked but the Smith Cylinder has been the best for me by far.

Is there a time you prefer the medium box stove over the cylinder stove?

OP
rj2

rj2

WKR
Thanks for the feedback. @Jordan Budd or @mrbillbrown , do either of you have weights on the full kit? Broken down would be better like body, pipe (ft?), rings, storage sacks.. But full kit weight would be ok too.

Do you use a protective sleeve or anything for the rolled up pipe so it doesn't get damaged in/on your pack?

reaper

WKR
OP
rj2

rj2

WKR
thanks, ive seen that, i was just wondering if they already had it in a lighterpack with the storage sacks and everything.

I have the cylinder stove and like it. If I had to get a new stove i would probably get a box.

Thanks for the feedback. @Jordan Budd or @mrbillbrown , do either of you have weights on the full kit? Broken down would be better like body, pipe (ft?), rings, storage sacks.. But full kit weight would be ok too.

Do you use a protective sleeve or anything for the rolled up pipe so it doesn't get damaged in/on your pack?

Yes I do. Weights will be for a Smith Cylinder Stove I use in my Tut shelter. I use the Kifaru supplied bag for carrying my stove on the outside of my pack.

Total with in bag that rides on the side of my pack 1# 14oz

bag 2oz
front and rear plates 9.05oz
4 legs with wing nuts 1.6oz
front door .7oz
18” body 5oz
84” pipe (for Tut) 9.45oz
damper 1.4oz
damper screen .3oz

titanium wire ties left in place on the body and stove pipe and included in the weights

OP
rj2

rj2

WKR
That is damn light. Thanks for taking the time. Do you know how tall the top of the stove is when assembled?

It’s dependent on the height you set the legs. It can be as tall as 13” or as short as 9” if you want. (But you’re gonna want some space for radiant heat under the stove or make sure you’re not sitting on combustible material). Plates are 8” and legs are 6”.
6c8d5a2b3ff5e0ec3631f102fd8b1e39.jpg

Glad to help. It’s been the best stove I’ve used so far. So light, few loose pieces to keep up with, goes together fairly quickly after a couple of practice runs. Hard to leave it at home.

ridgefire

WKR
I bought a used 18" stove and have been real happy with it so far. It's super light, it's really compact and easy to set up. I use it in a Nemo Pentalite 4 and it will get that thing so warm that you don't want to lay in your sleeping bag. I dented the top of it near the chimney so I can rest a small pot on it to boil water when needed.

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a used 18" stove and have been real happy with it so far. It's super light, it's really compact and easy to set up. I use it in a Nemo Pentalite 4 and it will get that thing so warm that you don't want to lay in your sleeping bag. I dented the top of it near the chimney so I can rest a small pot on it to boil water when needed.
Hey ridgefire- Do you have any pics of that set up in your Nemo? Sounds interesting.

ridgefire

WKR
Here are a couple pics of it in the Nemo. We were able to sleep three guys in it fairly comfortably with the stove and wood for the night. Packs were outside the tent.

Attachments

• 20210416_205051.jpg
    20210416_205051.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4224.jpg
    IMG_4224.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 53

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
Here are a couple pics of it in the Nemo. We were able to sleep three guys in it fairly comfortably with the stove and wood for the night. Packs were outside the tent.
Thanks much. I had never heard of a Nemo Pentalite before. It looks sweet, and inexpensive. Too bad it appears to be discontinued!