Kifaru tipi or Big hilleberg

Lawnboi

WKR
Iv had my mind set on getting a 6man tipi for a while now, and recently I started thinking of the larger hilleberg tents. Ill start by explaining what ill use the tent for.

Late season hunting and backpacking, 2+ people. Any and every condition as this will be a do it all tent.

Winter camping and backpacking, again a do it all tent.

Big lake ice fishing, I want something I can pitch on the ice and fish inside (k tipi) or put a few holes in the vestibules (hilleberg). No stove use will be occur in the tipi on the ice as we will be quite a ways off shore most of the time. Heavy wind and snow is a very real possibility along with large amounts of drifting snow. Basically 2-3 day backpacking style trips out on the ice to fish.

There are a few concerns about the tipi that I would like to address. Especially when it comes to winter camping.

-How is pitching a tipi on snow and in heavy wind? I know ice will not be an issue, as I can use screws or nails. However large amounts of snow, along with snow over slush on lakes has me worried about pitching a tipi. Chances are that I would carry a variety of nails/ screws/ and long snow stakes to pitch it.

- How is pitching the hoop style hilleberg tents on ice or snow? Assuming there are really only 4 points to tension compared to the large amount on the tipi it may be easier to move, and easier to get in place initially.

-How is it having no floor in the tipi on snow?

Its sounding like I need both :) but only one can be bought this year. I already own a stove for the kifaru, but I would need a tipi and a liner which would add to the price on the kifaru.

Looking at no bigger than a 6man tipi w/ liner, and a hilleberg kaitum 3 gt

Just looking for some info on these style shelters from guys who have used them in winter conditions. I have a hard time not wanting 6man tipi for late season hunting and backpacking but feel it might be lacking to take out in the winter, or on the ice.

I'd say go with the hilleberg if you're going to ice fish. Although standing in a Kifaru tipi would be nice too. Hell, why not just buy a nice clam shanty for ice fishing instead!?

Hell, just buy both. Hahaha

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
I'd say go with the hilleberg if you're going to ice fish. Although standing in a Kifaru tipi would be nice too. Hell, why not just buy a nice clam shanty for ice fishing instead!?

Hell, just buy both. Hahaha

I have a big pop up, and iv had the fold over ice shacks. There heavy, a pain in the ass to drag and really don't provide very much room for the 40-100lbs that they weigh. I have yet to find a quality built one as well.

Both the hilleberg and kifaru both have their weak and strong points, hence the dilemma. Either way I need to order soon as I need one of them for November.

im thinking that it would be nice in the kifaru cause I could stand, not have to worry about water on the floor and ill have a good bit more space.

But then again the hilleberg would be easier to pitch and keep a tight pitch, and might handle snow a bit better. It may also be warmer.

Brings me to another question, how warm is the tipi w/ liner compared to a hilleberg?

BigBird

FNG
If you go with the Kifaru and plan on having more than 2 guys go with the 8 man, you wont be disappointed. Patrick has a video on pitching a tipi in the wind pretty easy to do imo. good luck

VernAK

WKR
Lawnboi,

I have and use 12 Tipi, 4 Tipi, Sawtooth and Hilleberg Tarra.......not sure if my experiences apply to your situation.

The Tipi takes a bit of effort to pitch on snow as you will have to dig in anchors.....the tipi should handle most WI winds but the Hilleberg will handle extreme wind.

The Tipi does allow one to stand but the steep slope of walls makes one always wish they had the larger model. I find my 12 man to be perfect for 4 moose hunters.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Vern can you comment on the warmth between the two shelters, tipi w/liner and hille?

Both these are overkill for WI, They will go all over out west with me. And 5miles out on a lake you can get some serious wind.

slim9300

WKR
I find my Nallo GT4 to be amazingly warm. Generally the inside of my tent is at least 10 degrees warmer than the outside temps (significantly more so if there is direct sunlight). When I have been inside of it with another body for a couple hours, it's generally around 15-20* warmer than the outside temps. My wife and I slept in it this weekend and while the outside temps dropped down into the high 30s at night, the tent was a toasty 50ish degrees.

e9yvarug.jpg

I really like the idea of a stove on the ice but where are you going to get fuel? I guess you could take a sled, but that's only going to last a day I would think.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
No stove on the ice. Just the tipi and liner. A lantern would produce some heat, and maybe id pick up a smaller propane heater.

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
Lawnboi,

One of the Kifaru guys (Kevin if I remember correctly) ice fishes here in Colorado up in South Park which gets some pretty strong winds. He pitches a tipi up there so he may be able to answer some of your questions as well. My 12 man does really well in high winds in winter conditions (with large stove) although I have never pitched it on the ice. I use a coleman sport cat in the turkey blind on cold days and it works well but may not be enough for the tipi on ice.

I am a kifaru guy personally. I have had a 6 man before and currently own an 8 man tipi.

In deep snow long poles/pegs need to be used. On frozen ground i use 40D penny nails.

Floorless is amazing! Camping on snow never a problem.

When it comes to strong winds. Thats when the shelters really preform. Because of the shape (it allows wind to go around the sides). I have camped in some brutal winds and the tipi has always preformed!

My pick would be kifaru. When the weather turns cold and you add a stove you truly are living the good life!!

slim9300

WKR

I am a kifaru guy personally. I have had a 6 man before and currently own an 8 man tipi.

In deep snow long poles/pegs need to be used. On frozen ground i use 40D penny nails.

Floorless is amazing! Camping on snow never a problem.

When it comes to strong winds. Thats when the shelters really preform. Because of the shape (it allows wind to go around the sides). I have camped in some brutal winds and the tipi has always preformed!

My pick would be kifaru. When the weather turns cold and you add a stove you truly are living the good life!!

Justin, what size does your 8 man pack down to? It appears you use the Kifaru pole and not trekking poles? What is the actual weight if the 8 man with the pole?

I'm just curious since I would like to buy one some day. :)

Slim- The 8 man is good for 2-3-4 guys with gear in my opinion. I don't ever use as a solo shelter unless I am car camping. The standard kifaru stuff sack that the 8 man comes in is about the size of a z- lite thermarest. If I put it in a compression sack i can get the 8 man packed down to a bulge about the size of 2 nalgenes together. Thats with the compression sack that I have. The whole set up weighs around 7 pounds. If going with another guy or two you can split up the weight. I have carried the whole thing thou by myself on family pack trips.

On the tipis you have to use the kifaru aluminum pole, or a long tree branch possibly, or a carbon fiber pole. The aluminum is the best option. Trekking poles will not be tall enough on a tipi or a sawtooth. The 8 man is 8 feet plus change tall at the peak. So no trekking pole could reach that.

I use trekking poles only on my super tarp or sticks! :)

Tipis are great for the whole family!

slim9300

WKR
Slim- The 8 man is good for 2-3-4 guys with gear in my opinion. I don't ever use as a solo shelter unless I am car camping. The standard kifaru stuff sack that the 8 man comes in is about the size of a z- lite thermarest. If I put it in a compression sack i can get the 8 man packed down to a bulge about the size of 2 nalgenes together. Thats with the compression sack that I have. The whole set up weighs around 7 pounds. If going with another guy or two you can split up the weight. I have carried the whole thing thou by myself on family pack trips.

On the tipis you have to use the kifaru aluminum pole, or a long tree branch possibly, or a carbon fiber pole. The aluminum is the best option. Trekking poles will not be tall enough on a tipi or a sawtooth. The 8 man is 8 feet plus change tall at the peak. So no trekking pole could reach that.

I use trekking poles only on my super tarp or sticks! :)

Tipis are great for the whole family!

That's pretty cool. The 4-man tipi that I saw packed down to about the size you describe the 8 man as and came in at roughly the same weight. Adding the material to make it an 8 man must make very little difference in both.

Have you looked at the trekking pole coupler that externally join two poles, or the type of poles that can come apart and be joined into one long pole? I always wondered if they would be strong enough but I have heard of guys doing it.

Have you looked at the trekking pole coupler that externally join two poles, or the type of poles that can come apart and be joined into one long pole? I always wondered if they would be strong enough but I have heard of guys doing it.

slim i use my trekking poles slid together for my sl5 at about 5ft and i would not want to go any higher, i can get a little deflection out of them as it is, not enough to worry about but enough i know no higher

slim9300

WKR
slim i use my trekking poles slid together for my sl5 at about 5ft and i would not want to go any higher, i can get a little deflection out of them as it is, not enough to worry about but enough i know no higher

That makes sense. I have seen some really beefy trekking poles like the ones Actionshooter has that are thick walled aluminum and oval shaped. They seem like they would double up quite well.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Bringing this back up. Been backpacking for the last week.

It will all be on foot, no sleds as of now, ill be pulking it in. Staying for a day or 2 or 3 depending on how cold it is.

Ill have to give kevin at kifaru a call

Longstride12

Lil-Rokslider
Let us know how it performs for you and if your expectations were met. I'm curious how it will do for everything you are going to use it for.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Let us know how it performs for you and if your expectations were met. I'm curious how it will do for everything you are going to use it for.

Ill be sure to give some updates once I start putting it up on the ice, not a lot of info out there on it but apparently from reading around its done quite a bit. The Tipi should get some serious use here in the next year, so im hoping it lives up to its name.