Kifaru vs Stone Glacier - Specifically fit and frame comparison

Pierrebuiltknives

Lil-Rokslider
You people are the worst...I have a Kifaru hunter frame and woodsman that I'm very happy with. BUT I am bored so I decide to read through this thread and you are talking about buy both and see which fits best...blah blah blah...the SG is 2 lbs lighter...blah blah blah. Well it's winter and I am bored and have been looking at smaller daypack, EDG, carry-on sized bags and came across the Avail 2200. It seems like it would be the perfect smaller bag I am looking for. Well it just so happens it connects to the SG frame which would make for a great hauler/daypack at a significant weigh savings over what I have currently. I was set to order the Avail but what the heck throw in the Xcurve too!!! If my wife only knew what rokslide was she would probably put a lock on our internet so that I couldn't access it. :)
I have been looking at the two. The xcurve is 3.1lbs. The 24 inch tactical with laminated stays are 3.5lbs. Where are the 2 lbs?
Looking at the two a hunting frame with laminated stays is very close in weight to the xframe. Using both companies stats.
I agree about making it hard.

Halleywood

Lil-Rokslider
I have been looking at the two. The xcurve is 3.1lbs. The 24 inch tactical with laminated stays are 3.5lbs. Where are the 2 lbs?
Looking at the two a hunting frame with laminated stays is very close in weight to the xframe. Using both companies stats.
I agree about making it hard.

I haven't done the exact math on it but other posts mentioned the 2 lbs. I think you have to look at the weights of the bags as well. SG published weight on the Sky 5900 for instance is 4.55#. A similar sized bag would be the Reckoning and the 26" composite hunter frame would be around 6#. To be apples to apples you'd have to add in a spotting scope pocket to the reckoning because the Sky 5900 has one built in. That'd add in 8 oz I would guess and get you that 2 lbs.

I never had looked at SG at all because I am very happy with the Kifaru products I have used. Since doing some digging the bags they have seem to be very well thought out and purpose built. It makes me willing to at least play around with them to see which I like better. Fortunately my wife gives me enough of an allowance that I can do it! :p

I also just ordered an xcurve with an avail. Just today. I was going to sell my kifaru stuff to fund that purchase but I decided to keep it soI can compare them side by side. I will sell the kifaru set up or send the SG set up back after a week or two. I love the kifaru duplex hunting frame. Its the best I have tried, but I hate the Kifaru bags. That felt good to just say it out loud, I hate the kifaru bags. So if the frame is up to par with the kifaru that is the set up I will go with... for now.

KurtR

WKR
I haven't done the exact math on it but other posts mentioned the 2 lbs. I think you have to look at the weights of the bags as well. SG published weight on the Sky 5900 for instance is 4.55#. A similar sized bag would be the Reckoning and the 26" composite hunter frame would be around 6#. To be apples to apples you'd have to add in a spotting scope pocket to the reckoning because the Sky 5900 has one built in. That'd add in 8 oz I would guess and get you that 2 lbs.

I never had looked at SG at all because I am very happy with the Kifaru products I have used. Since doing some digging the bags they have seem to be very well thought out and purpose built. It makes me willing to at least play around with them to see which I like better. Fortunately my wife gives me enough of an allowance that I can do it! :p

the reckoning has two pockets on it already so you dont need a spotting scope pocket added.

russ_outdoors

Lil-Rokslider
...the SG is 2 lbs lighter...

I believe this number is usually when considering the weight of the older and lighter Krux frame. I've been comparing a Kifaru Woodsman / Hunting frame with composite stays versus the Stone Glacier Solo / XCurve and there is roughly 1 lb difference between the two, with the SG being lighter. To me that's a small enough difference to be a non-factor in the decision.

Weekender

WKR
I believe this number is usually when considering the weight of the older and lighter Krux frame. I've been comparing a Kifaru Woodsman / Hunting frame with composite stays versus the Stone Glacier Solo / XCurve and there is roughly 1 lb difference between the two, with the SG being lighter. To me that's a small enough difference to be a non-factor in the decision.

Guessing krux is more equal to composite stays (straight back) and xcurve is more equal to aluminum stays (curve back). Don't think kifaru's new frames are that much heavier maybe a half pound but their bags really pretty heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

russ_outdoors

Lil-Rokslider
Kifaru's composite and aluminum stays come in both flat and curved options, you can switch out to arrow shafts as well. Stone Glacier's stays on the XCurve are curved and made out of composite and titanium. Not sure about the profile of the Krux frame, but it does have composite stays. I think the best comparison between them is the Kifaru composite, regardless of profile.

Weekender

WKR
Kifaru's composite and aluminum stays come in both flat and curved options, you can switch out to arrow shafts as well. Stone Glacier's stays on the XCurve are curved and made out of composite and titanium. Not sure about the profile of the Krux frame, but it does have composite stays. I think the best comparison between them is the Kifaru composite, regardless of profile.

Good to know, always figure I'd need the aluminum stays. I know the krux is pretty flat back and didn't fit me well.

............ Its the best I have tried, but I hate the Kifaru bags. That felt good to just say it out loud, I hate the kifaru bags. So if the frame is up to par with the kifaru that is the set up I will go with... for now.

Same reason has stopped me from buying kifaru.....

What in the wide world of sports is going on here? A rokslide kifaru vs _____ thread where the most common answer is not kifaru?

The new SG is that good, especially with heavy loads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Curious - mention of the new SG frame "hugging" your back has been discussed as a positive in this thread. I'm a sweaty SOB, I assume this means less air for my swampy back. Would you guys agree?

I didn't notice my back getting any more hot or sweaty than other frames I've used. There is still airflow between the frame and back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Bughalli

WKR
The more I think about it I'm sold on going with SG for my next pack. Now what bag? My primary purpose would be 5-7 day high alpine hunts (elk or mule deer) with a bow. Mostly Aug-early Oct weather, so relatively light gear. I'm sure it will get used for longer and shorter trips, and occasional gun hunts after I eat a few tags, but those are the exception. What bag would you go with? The classic Sky Archer or new Sky 5900? I was leaning towards the new Sky 5900, but wondered if that pocket in the center makes it harder to mount a bow on the back when the pocket has something in it (big bulge/pivot point). I like to use Kuiu's bow bucket on my packs. Really protects that bottom cam and very stable.

.....general comment, SG packs seem so much bigger than needed. My current pack is 4500 and igreat for up to a 10 day hunt. I often wonder why they don't have more small designs for that middle range (3,500 - 4,500).

MT_Wyatt

WKR
The more I think about it I'm sold on going with SG for my next pack. Now what bag? My primary purpose would be 5-7 day high alpine hunts (elk or mule deer) with a bow. Mostly Aug-early Oct weather, so relatively light gear. I'm sure it will get used for longer and shorter trips, and occasional gun hunts after I eat a few tags, but those are the exception. What bag would you go with? The classic Sky Archer or new Sky 5900? I was leaning towards the new Sky 5900, but wondered if that pocket in the center makes it harder to mount a bow on the back when the pocket has something in it (big bulge/pivot point). I like to use Kuiu's bow bucket on my packs. Really protects that bottom cam and very stable.

.....general comment, SG packs seem so much bigger than needed. My current pack is 4500 and igreat for up to a 10 day hunt. I often wonder why they don't have more small designs for that middle range (3,500 - 4,500).

I think you're good to go with either. I've owned both, and it comes down to personal preference on the zipper. The bow would be harder to strap to the 5900 b/c of that center pocket, but you just need to avoid overstuffing to make it happen.

All of the Sky bags cover that smaller range you talk about in bivy mode, and you have the solo at 3300 that can take a lid, so the mid range seems covered pretty well. At the end of day, the designs compress so well the excess bag never seems to be a problem (for me, and I'm super picky about that kind of thing).

whacker1

Lil-Rokslider
i have been using the SG for the last couple of years. I had the Sky Archer 6200 and last year upgraded to the Sky Talus 6900. This bag set up is perfect for me whether in Day/bivy mode or in 9 day alpine hunt. There was nothing wrong with the 6200, but I lost enough weight that I needed to move down to the medium belt and wanted the spotting scope pockets that were built into the 6900, which was preference.

I spent over 30 days in this set up and packed my bull and helped pack hunting partners bull, and another hunting partner's bull. I packed my mule deer and whitetail. I don't think I ever went over 90 lbs, but can't be happier with the performance. I am still learning how to configure my loads, which is again trial and error as it relates to preference. I may try out the XCurve frame this year, but for the first time in my life, I don't feel the urgency that I have in other years for finding a more comfortable way to pack animals/loads, etc.

Last edited:

Benjblt

WKR
i have been using the SG for the last couple of years. I had the Sky Archer 6200 and last year upgraded to the Sky Talus 6900. This bag set up is perfect for me whether in Day/bivy mode or in 9 day alpine hunt. There was nothing wrong with the 6200, but I lost enough weight that I needed to move down to the medium belt and wanted the spotting scope pockets that were built into the 6900, which was preference.

I spent over 30 days in this set up and packed my bull and helped pack hunting partners bull, and another hunting partner's bull. I packed my mule deer and whitetail. I don't think I ever went over 90 lbs, but can't be happier with the performance. I am still learning how to configure my loads, which is again trial and error as it relates to preference. I may try out the XCurve frame this year, but for the first time in my life, I don't feel the urgency that I have in other years for finding a more comfortable way to pack animals/loads, etc.

I was thinking about going with Kifaru but haven't been able to find a bag that looked like what I wanted (just looking online). The Sky Talus 6900 looks like something I need, configuration wise, as I like the two side pockets. If I was going to be a 5 day, maybe, maybe, a 7 day hunt guy. Do you think the 6900 is to big? Should I go in the 5k range. I would be using it as a day pack apart from those long hunts as well.

What is stone glacier? I've been using kifaru for years. Awesome company with great customer service and great products. Very comfortable