Ark vs Duplex, a comparison review

Ucsdryder

WKR
I just had an ark frame and ku4300 bag show up this weekend. I’ll be doing a compare and contrast between the newest frame and bag vs a kifaru duplex and nomad and mountain warrior. My goal is to objectively, and subjectively, help answer the question, “is upgrading to the ark frame and KU bag worth it?”

I’d love to have the opportunity to do this review over the big game seasons this fall, but the timing isn’t right so it’ll go on some shed hunts, turkey hunts and training hikes over the next couple of months.

Here are some of the questions that I hope to answer.
  1. Specifications of each, including weight, range of adjustability, easy of adjustability
  2. Fit and finish of the new frame, cosmetic condition out of the box, susceptibility to scratches and gouges
  3. Noise of the KU material vs the cordura, in temperatures above and below freezing
  4. Waterproofness and water absorption of the KU vs cordura
  5. Rigidity and torsional flex of both frames under weight, light, moderate, and heavy
  6. Fit on different body types (I have 3 other people lined up that are all different builds)

I’ll include lots of pictures of course.

What else would you like to see from a comparison standpoint, or just questions I might be able to answer about the new frame and/or bag?

IMG_1502.jpeg

I wish that KU had some exterior organization. I want to get one but a single bag doesn’t fit my style of hunt. Need a place for a few things outside. Looking forward to your review. I’ve got the Ark and so far loving it.

Ultimately I’d just want an honest, unbiased comparison. Is the ark is better, or just different. Is the foam that much more comfortable and/or durable. The lumbar pad comparison.

I have 2 duplex lites. I have almost no complaints with them outside of wishing the lumbar pad was firmer. But if I didn’t have them, I’d grab the ark. The big question is the one you set out to answer….is it worth switching from duplex to ark.

Just for full disclosure, did you get the pack free, bought it yourself or is it a loaner?

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
I'd like to see biological stain resistance textile testing.
I’ll toss a turkey in the KU and see how well it cleans up once the blood has dried.

I assume that’s the stain you’re referring to…

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Ultimately I’d just want an honest, unbiased comparison. Is the ark is better, or just different. Is the foam that much more comfortable and/or durable. The lumbar pad comparison.

I have 2 duplex lites. I have almost no complaints with them outside of wishing the lumbar pad was firmer. But if I didn’t have them, I’d grab the ark. The big question is the one you set out to answer….is it worth switching from duplex to ark.

Just for full disclosure, did you get the pack free, bought it yourself or is it a loaner?

I’m curious about the foam as well. It’s very square on the lumbar area and was the first thing I noticed when I put on the pack. Is that a positive or a negative, I’m not sure yet.

@robby denning helped arrange getting the pack into my hands for the comparison. I already have the duplex of course. I haven’t paid anything for the testing of the pack.

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Ark, Duplex Ultralight & the Tactical. Without getting into the weeds, I will probably hang on to the UL and get rid of the Tactical. The Ark is hands down my go to now.

But maybe you could share some of why the Ark is hands down your go to over the DuL?

Otherwise it’s not that helpful as a decision point for those of us happy with the DL/DuL and wondering what’s next level about the ARK.

I have the Tactical, Duplex Lite, and the Ark. i dont use them as much as some if the people on here but I dont feel much improvement with the Ark over the Duplex Lite. I really like the Ark , but really like the Duplex Lite too. One think I really love about the Ark is how easy it is to adjust the shoulder straps, but thats not something I need to do very often.

But maybe you could share some of why the Ark is hands down your go to over the DuL?

Otherwise it’s not that helpful as a decision point for those of us happy with the DL/DuL and wondering what’s next level about the ARK.
Simple. Wasn’t tryin to be helpful. The OP is going to do his review and I didn’t want to hijack his thread. So you’ll have to wait for his review, or don’t be so cheap and buy the damn pack and find out for yourself. Besides, I trust the OP’s review. He been doing this for a while 😉

Last edited:

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
Simple. The OP is going to do his review and I didn’t want to hijack his thread. So you’ll have to wait for his review, or don’t be so cheap and buy the damn pack and find out for yourself. Besides, I trust the OP’s review. He been doing this for a while 😉

Cute.

I just thought you had something to offer, but apparently you don’t and just intend to ride on the coat strings of someone who actually knows how to evaluate packs.

Last edited:
I have the Tactical, Duplex Lite, and the Ark. i dont use them as much as some if the people on here but I dont feel much improvement with the Ark over the Duplex Lite. I really like the Ark , but really like the Duplex Lite too. One think I really love about the Ark is how easy it is to adjust the shoulder straps, but thats not something I need to do very often.
I think this is actually proof of how blessed we are now with choices. For me, the DL just never had that great feeling. It worked. It was bombproof. But I never felt like it was part of my body and when it was loaded light it was uncomfortable for me.

The ARK is entirely different for me. The second I put it on at the expo with their weights in it I knew it was coming home.

Pretty great time to be alive. So many fantastic gear manufacturers out there making something that will do it for everyone. If that DL feels like an extension of yourself, there’s no reason to look elsewhere. Good luck this year.

I'm anxious to read the review. I don't own any of the Kifaru packs, or any framed pack for that matter. The only frame pack I've ever used is an old military surplus with an alice pack. I'd like to think the Ark is the latest and greatest, best of the best. But with nothing to compare it to, I wonder if I'd be just as happy with a lightly used duplex or tactical from the classifieds at a much lower cost. Currently only hunt eastern whitetails, but I'm in some hilly country where packing out is much easier than dragging. With pack out never being more than a mile or 2, will I even notice a difference?

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
I'm anxious to read the review. I don't own any of the Kifaru packs, or any framed pack for that matter. The only frame pack I've ever used is an old military surplus with an alice pack. I'd like to think the Ark is the latest and greatest, best of the best. But with nothing to compare it to, I wonder if I'd be just as happy with a lightly used duplex or tactical from the classifieds at a much lower cost. Currently only hunt eastern whitetails, but I'm in some hilly country where packing out is much easier than dragging. With pack out never being more than a mile or 2, will I even notice a difference?

Are you packing a stand in? One possible drawback to the ARK is a metal stand rubbing against the CF.

I suppose there is wear potential either way. Probably the stand against CF would be noisier if there was movement between the frame and stand.

I personally wouldn’t want the tactical for your use. It will haul, but isn’t as nimble for day hunting compared to other options.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Are you packing a stand in? One possible drawback to the ARK is a metal stand rubbing against the CF.

I suppose there is wear potential either way. Probably the stand against CF would be noisier if there was movement between the frame and stand.

I personally wouldn’t want the tactical for your use. It will haul, but isn’t as nimble for day hunting compared to other options.
I plan to do some testing on the durability of the frame. I think any rubbing would result in cosmetic blemishes only, it’s up to the owner to decide if that is important or not.

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
I plan to do some testing on the durability of the frame. I think any rubbing would result in cosmetic blemishes only, it’s up to the owner to decide if that is important or not.

I know a stand will scratch up a Kuiu CF frame pretty badly. But yeah, I never heard of that compromising the integrity of the frame sheet.

Maybe the CF will actually wear harder than fabric wrapped stays. Idk.

But I think rubbing noise would possibly be a bigger annoyance. Even as tight as things can be locked down with modern systems, it seems like it doesn’t take much for screeches and squeaks to come about.

Maybe it’s nothing, but I’m inclined to run a stand against fabric wrapped…or taped.