Kill or Tranqulize if you had the option?

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
Every animal that is killed allows another animal to live. Ergo, if you didn't kill your animal, you let him go, you have by consequence killed another animal. By that logic, I prefer to be the more active participant, killing and eating and preserving trophies.
I get your point, but I have no illusion that killing animals by hunting or natural means (fires, drought, famine) has no effect on the population.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
The one big difference between fishing and hunting is, There is no catch and release in hunting. have have released as many fish as I have kept.
I think in a way, when you pass up on smaller bucks (for example) you are catching and releasing, you could have easily killed a small buck at 50 yards but you choose to let them go, and just enjoy the experience etc.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I think in a way, when you pass up on smaller bucks (for example) you are catching and releasing, you could have easily killed a small buck at 50 yards but you choose to let them go, and just enjoy the experience etc.
I suppose you could say that, but once the trigger is pulled, there is not release, unless you're a bad shot.

KurtR

WKR
Releasing that overly large female trout kept that egg producer in action. If he had killed it, Ida shook my head and sighed - she probably produces 1,000,000 eggs at a pop. We catch and release some when fishing. My first goal is dinner, too small and big breeder fish go back in.

I don't think laker is bad, not much diff from other trout. Once fish reach "too big" size they get fat layers between the meat and taste yucky - grouper especially.

As for tranquilizing an animal for photos... Either you want to shoot, kill, and eat it or you want a photo. You can take amazing photos without risking harm to the animal.
I dont know about lake trout but thats always the thing people say when talking about big walleyes but truth is half the eggs are infertile and the real producers are the smaller fish in the 4-6 lb range.

Rich M

WKR
I dont know about lake trout but thats always the thing people say when talking about big walleyes but truth is half the eggs are infertile and the real producers are the smaller fish in the 4-6 lb range.
It is diff w saltwater fish and bass down here. Older fish are the primary egg makers.

Didnt know that about walleyes.

Dos XX

WKR
Fairly certain this deer would have preferred to be shot and eaten instead of tranq’d, molested and the photos of it posted online. You know the other deer bring this up to her constantly. 😆
You can stump break some farm animals. I'm not sure about a deer.

Mish-pop

FNG
I was just reading the story of the guy from Colorado that caught the potential world record lake trout but released it instead of having to kill the fish to confirm his record.

Got me wandering would you if you had the opportunity tranquilize the (insert game animal) from your normal hunting distance hundreds of yards. Take some pictures with it for memories then step back until it got back on its feet and walked away. I do get the meat aspect of it but females of the species eat just as good but not better.

I am not sure what i would do. Just wandering your opinions.
I for sure want the meat from the animal I harvest and the antlers or horns. However, shoot and release would be awesome for one reason. I have had a couple hunts where I shot my mule deer on day one of a multi day hunt. I spend the rest of the time by processing the meat instead of continuing hunting. Don't get me wrong, im happy to harvest a nice buck day one but sometimes it would be nice to extend it out. There are also some duck hunts that have been spectacular but over with in 15 min. It would be nice to be able to continue hunting, stalking, shooting, etc...

Every animal that is killed allows another animal to live. Ergo, if you didn't kill your animal, you let him go, you have by consequence killed another animal. By that logic, I prefer to be the more active participant, killing and eating and preserving trophies.
This is simply not true. Depending on the carrying capacity of the land you could not kill many animals before one has to die to support another. Considering so many areas are under objective I would say its mostly untrue.

Not once as a hunter have i thought, “man, i wish i could just tranquilize this deer”? Hunting is killing, they can’t be separated.