Kill or Tranqulize if you had the option?

During our hound training season for bear its all catch and release until the kill season opens up. Otherwise if I’m hunting I’m trying to kill something for either food or predator management

Sevens

WKR
If I’m not hunting to kill something, rather be at a nice location in Tuscany drinking wine or relaxing on a beach.

Hunting makes for a unique way to experience nature and the outdoors. Africa being a good example, while I love hunting in Africa, the thought of a photo safari in a game reserve seems like a staged experience. Almost like smoke and mirrors whereby the tourists see the BBC nature documentary they anticipated and then head home with their photos and a belief that Africa is full of animals around ever corner. Hunting you get to really be involved in nature, you’re not in a park, you see how humans live and impact the wildlife and you get a much more raw experience.

This is simply not true. Depending on the carrying capacity of the land you could not kill many animals before one has to die to support another. Considering so many areas are under objective I would say its mostly untrue.

I guess I forget those areas exist. I’m more of an elk guy but most everywhere has a lot of elk. Everywhere I hunt at least.

Mish-pop

FNG
Not once as a hunter have i thought, “man, i wish i could just tranquilize this deer”? Hunting is killing, they can’t be separated.
I do understand what you mean. However, witnessing a majestic mule deer in its natural habitat or seeing that massive rack skylined on a ridge right at dawn, sends adrenaline pulsing through my veins almost equal to squeezing the trigger that I sometimes wish I could see that again the next day or the next year from some of the bucks I have taken.

AdamLewis

FNG
There are very few situations where I think I'd want to tranq something. Maybe I wanted to study it....

I used to work at a place that had a small creek running behind it that beavers would dam up, which flooded the drive that ran along it. Every couple of years I'd trap the things out so we could remove the dams without them rebuilding them in a few days.

There was always someone in the office who'd ask if I was live trapping and reloing them, and I would always reply that there isn't anywhere good for beavers that isn't already full of beavers.