Kimber Montana

Where is the best place to buy a Montana? Most I have seen say 2016. Is that model the one to stay away from?

Trees91

WKR
I THINK 2016 has the moa guarantee. First year threaded from the factory and they have the grey stock vs the current model green stock. Some one chime in if I’m wrong.

wapitibob

WKR
My grey stock Montana was garbage and after multiple threads where some said how awesome they were, when the bullets actually hit paper they were 1-1/2" rifles on a good day. I believe the "hunter" is a better gun than the Montana.

Trees91

WKR
Was it new enough to have the moa guarantee? I know you can’t always count on a guarantee but it seems like they made some tweaks to make them shoot. I had a mountain ascent in a Montana stock that was one of the best shooting guns I’ve owned.

Trees91

WKR
Wish I never sold it. I’m planning on buying a Montana for my wife this fall. I’m not worried about it not being a shooter.
849056F0-30AB-410A-A811-A49B0760F103.jpeg
this was an exceptional group with a match bullet. It would shoot factory loaded federal partitions and hornady eldx ammo around a 1/2”.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I got mine from Eurooptic as well.

I ordered one from Guns.com first, but they sent me the wrong gun, then took over a month (from the time they had the returned gun delivered to them) to refund my credit card. Needless to say, I would not buy from them again.

mmac

WKR
My Montana 25-06 from Eurooptic as well, good service and good pricing. Great shooting if you are on the fence.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I got a Montana off gunbroker, brand new threaded barrel with the accuracy guarantee thing on the barrel, it is a 2016 model. It’s been absolutely awesome, I wouldn’t sell it.

Kimber seems to have significantly cut production numbers and certain calibers since their move from NY to AL. It might be a little challenging finding the model and caliber you want, at the price you want to pay. Shop around some for the best deal once you have decided what you want.

As for me, I want to buy a Montana in 25-06. As they discontinued this caliber my choices are limited to finding a relatively new pre loved one that’s a proven shooter. If anyone has one, please send me a PM.

Thanks,
Craig

OP
R
Kimber seems to have significantly cut production numbers and certain calibers since their move from NY to AL. It might be a little challenging finding the model and caliber you want, at the price you want to pay. Shop around some for the best deal once you have decided what you want.

As for me, I want to buy a Montana in 25-06. As they discontinued this caliber my choices are limited to finding a relatively new pre loved one that’s a proven shooter. If anyone has one, please send me a PM.

Thanks,
Craig
I am wanting a 308 but like you said there is not many to be had of any caliber.

wapitibob

WKR
Was it new enough to have the moa guarantee? I know you can’t always count on a guarantee but it seems like they made some tweaks to make them shoot. I had a mountain ascent in a Montana stock that was one of the best shooting guns I’ve owned.

Mine did not have a guarantee. At the time, their "accuracy" criteria was 1-1/2" with the gun clamped in a vise and shot from 50 yards.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased a May 2019 manufactured Kimber Montana in 6.5 Creedmoor online from Reeds Sports (www.reedssports.com) in November for just under $1100. Good service and can’t say anything negative about the Montana.

I had a newer green stock threaded 6.5 CM
It’s the only 6.5 CM I’ve ever shot or even heard of that not only couldn’t reach MOA but was doing 2 1/2 MOA on a good day.
Even after sending it back to Kimber it was still junk.
Traded it for a Tikka T3x light and have lived happily ever since.

Older gray stock non-threaded 270 I had after a lot of work was able to get down about 1.5 MOA. It doesn’t live here anymore either.

coiloil37

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got five Kimbers of which two are Montana’s. They’re all shooters. The worst is still well under an inch and most put em in something between ragged holes and touching clover leafs. All of mine are old and built through the “poor quality control years”. My perception of most complaints online is that the guy pulling the trigger didn’t know what he was doing. I wouldn’t be any more nervous buying a new kimber as any other brand. Chances are it’ll shoot fine.

I was going to stay out of this but my one experience was not great, but not horrible. Its an older vintage model, I think 2001, and basically haven't found factory ammo that will shoot better than 2". After major load development have found it will shoot about an inch with monos pushed fast. My barret, which is lighter by over a pound, (my kimber is wood stock 8400) shoots under an inch with the factory ammo i tried and well under that with handloaded hammes or partitions. It isn't in this case, as I often hear, "the guy pulling the trigger". I'm glad their product has generally gotten better and there are lots of accurate ones out there. I hope they continue to work on QA as I like the design and ergonomics of the rifle, and with Barrett apparently out of the picture going forward there isn't much else out there at that weight and price point.

Good luck!

Scottyboy203

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Mtn ascent in 270 wsm that shoots great And several friends that have newer montanas that all shoot great. Out of probably 8 never seen a bad shooting one but there all the green stock new models.

False_Cast

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had both gray and green stocked models. Never a bad one. Most recent was from the last batch of .223s (green & threaded) from Darrik @ Whittaker’s. Buy with confidence. A lot of “bad” reports you read are user error. They can have quirks (bedding, proper torquing of screws, potential magbox binding) but those are NOT unique to Montanas. That 223 went to Shaen (@Shooter71) for a 1:7 Rock and a massage. Nothing wrong with the OEM barrel per se but I wanted to run giant killers (77 tmk & 75 eldm, et al) which necessitated an rpm increase. Still need to bed and put it through its paces.

Check out Whittaker’s in KY. Best in the business.