Kitchen knife - length and brand suggestions?

fwafwow

WKR
Yesterday I trimmed a tenderloin and realized that a couple of my hunting knives not only cost more than all of my kitchen knives, they are better. My sharpest in the kitchen is an almost 8" chef's knife, which is too long. (I ended up using a steak knife.) So I need some advice.
  1. Length - How long is good for this kind of meat work? I'm sure this is known to chefs, but I'm stupid.
  2. Brands? I'm looking for quality. By analogy to rifles - I own both a Ruger American and a Cooper. Although I like the Ruger, I already think of it as "my son's rifle". The Cooper is mine, and I will use it for as long as I'm able, but one day give it to my son. For the knife, I'm looking for something more like the Cooper. I'd prefer made in the USA, and price isn't a primary issue. To give you a better idea:
    • I like this guy - https://middletonmadeknives.com - built in the US, Southern, and could be an heirloom (if you do it right).​
    • But I also like something like Tops 5.25" Frog Market or Dicer 3 Paring (Tops isn't a possible "heirloom" but you get the idea).​

Last edited:

PNWGATOR

WKR
I like the recommendations of America’s Test Kitchen/Cooks Illustrated in most things and generally start kitchen research with their research and testing. This might be a good resource for you:
You might see what they recommend for specific knives you might be looking for ie a boning knife.
Also, we have Cutcos and I’d never buy or recommend them again after having a chance to use the Victorinox and Mercer line of kitchen knives. A fraction of the price and perform ‘better’ in actual use vs the Cutco.

jolemons

WKR
Victorinox boner and Global santuko, chef and paring knives hit 99.9% of my needs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Thanks guys.

I'm sorry, my post wasn't clear on the brand question. By analogy to rifles - I own both a Ruger American and a Cooper. Although I like the American, I already think of it as "my son's rifle". The Cooper is mine, and I will use it for as long as I'm able, but one day give it to my son. For the knife, I'm looking for something more like the Cooper. I'd prefer made in the USA, and price isn't a primary issue.

Too much time on my hands, and not enough college football on TV today.

Shraggs

WKR
Not bad set there you linked but no experience with.

I love my bark River 8” chef. Convex is great edge profile and veggies will never stick to knife either.

I honestly use their petty-z for about everything meat related. Boning trimming unless big cuts. Small veggie prep too. If I could only have one kitchen knife in would be a petty for a good company and steel.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Not bad set there you linked but no experience with.

I love my bark River 8” chef. Convex is great edge profile and veggies will never stick to knife either.

I honestly use their petty-z for about everything meat related. Boning trimming unless big cuts. Small veggie prep too. If I could only have one kitchen knife in would be a petty for a good company and steel.
I think we are getting there, or at least narrowing the choices.

Wow @Shraggs - that Petty Z looks pretty close to what I'm thinking, especially with some of those beautiful wood handles. Anyone know what type of wood that is below?

@PNWGATOR - I would say that I'd put Kramer in the Curtis or McWhorter category for the rifle analogy, but the first knife I found was $50k. From a quick skim it looks like they have some other companies' knives for sale, but his list is closed - you have to register to buy his via auction. I guess it can't hurt to register (although that part of the site seems not to work) and see what comes up, but I'm thinking this option might be more of a bucket list for me.

Thank you both!
1608943865845.png

Last edited:

Shraggs

WKR
I just checked current run to see what steel, I have not used sv45n, but love sv35n. But I have come to love any powdered super steel by CPM.

So there us enough knuckle clearance to use as small chef on cutting board. It’s nimble to work as a held paring knife. And that dropped tip (forgot name for that) makes boning and trimming as easy as a boning Kinfe.

any bone in hams, all fowl no problem. It’s my go to to trim up raw venison too. Separate ribs too. It’s not a slicer for roasts. Too short

it’s convex, easy to sharpen if you know how. If not gotta trust the methods! There’s guys here other than I too help and lots if vids.

clever design.

8” to 6” for steak cutttint is what I use.
Dexter russel is USA made. I have a few of them and the rest are Victorinox.

I’ve been following a veteran in Alaska that’s makes knives and a buddy has some of his kitchen and fillet knives. Very we hand crafted knives.

Keep us posted what you get!

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
8” to 6” for steak cutttint is what I use.
Dexter russel is USA made. I have a few of them and the rest are Victorinox.

I’ve been following a veteran in Alaska that’s makes knives and a buddy has some of his kitchen and fillet knives. Very we hand crafted knives.

Keep us posted what you get!
Semper Sharp looks awesome. I will need to spend some more time on that tomorrow - thanks! Also reminded me to contact Kim Breed to see what he makes, as I’ve got a few knives of his.

wildcat33

WKR
MAC professionals are well regarded. You’ll hear Shun knives come up a lot but reviews are mixed. You might look at Muteki, there are some more reasonable priced knives in there (“Original” series). Then there are Japanese knives, which is whole nother world.

I’m still using dexters but when it comes time to upgrade likely I’ll end up with a MAC or two.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
If your stuck on us made a bark river bird and trout a chef from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. The Bird and Trout looks great too, especially with the Desert Ironwood Burl handle. I think the Chef is awesome too, but probably too long (at 10") for this need - but I'm sure I could figure some use for it!

Ridley

Lil-Rokslider
Keeping with the non traditional knives for kitchen duty (and Bark River) take a look at their Kalahari sportsman models. They have two sizes, the large has a 6.8” blade and small is 4.7”. Stainless cpm154 and thin (0.09” and 0.06”). I think they would be fantastic in the kitchen.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Keeping with the non traditional knives for kitchen duty (and Bark River) take a look at their Kalahari sportsman models. They have two sizes, the large has a 6.8” blade and small is 4.7”. Stainless cpm154 and thin (0.09” and 0.06”). I think they would be fantastic in the kitchen.
Excellent - thank you. And "non traditional" is a much better way to say what it took me 500 words to describe!

9” Chef, I use for about everything in the kitchen 98% of the time.

For my home kitchen I use New West KnifeWorks, made in Victor Idaho. I own quite a few pieces from them. Love love love the S35vn.

If you’re looking for shorter give them a call and tell them what you’re looking for. You’ll get some great insight at the factory.

Last edited:
OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
9” Chef, I use for about everything in the kitchen 98% of the time.

For my home kitchen I use NewWest Knife Works, made in Victor Idaho. Own quite a few pieces from them. Love love love S35vn. 9” chef a

If you’re looking for shorter give them a call and tell them what you’re looking for. You’ll get some great insight at the factory.

Thanks! The Ironwood 6" chef might be perfect. I could see David Byrne wielding a set of these.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
NewWest and Bark River are tough to choose between for sure.