Knife sharpeners

Can anyone recommend one they’ve had good experiences with? Mainly for everyday and hunting knives. Price point is about $50. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used a Lansky 3 stone system for my hunting knives and pocket knives. I'm sure there are easier/quicker options out there tho. I usually crack some beers and spend a couple hours getting everything ready to slice and dice a few weeks before season rolls around. I found mine at a garage sale for $10 but I think you can find them for around $30 new.

What kind of steels are you trying to sharpen? If you’re looking to sharpen some of the harder-to-sharpen supersteels, I’d recommend diamond abrasives. I like my lansky deluxe diamond system that I first got as a budget system. It’s worked really well on my elmax and S30V knives, and other cheaper steels as well. I really liked the fixed angle systems to get the edge tuned up exactly how I want it.

Beendare

WKR
For simple and fast on avg steel knives, the V shaped cock sticks are hard to beat.

A jig type system is better of course...with the edge pro being the best by a wide margin.

_____

super-c-clamp

Get the Lansky Sharpening kit and buy the C-clamp in addition. I use a shorty Phillips screwdriver to put just a bit more pressure on the knife blade after I get it set right in the guide tool. I am tickled to death how well my knives turn out. I can get anything scary sharp. As an example I was able to fit a thin bladed hatchet in the knife guide tool and got that thing SHAVING SHARP. I can sharpen a knife so that it is scary sharp, just how they should be!

No it's not the fastest system, but it sure works. I could only dull a knife before I got one of these systems. The C-clamp is a must have. It makes it so much simpler and safer when sharpening. A knife with an edge that isn't terrible and hasn't been "hand sharpened" on stones a lot I can get perfected in about 20-30 minutes. That's about average. To touch up a knife I have the perfect edge on it only takes 5-10 minutes to have it back to shaving sharp. I like the kits so much I have one for in the home use and I keep another one in the camper so when I'm out camping, fishing, or hunting I always have a simple and exact way to get them sharp again.

David

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
Used the lanksy for quite sometime. A little to do but at your price point you will not go wrong. Three stone kit for $30. I did upgrade to work shape and never looked back. Quick and easy to sharpen every knife every time.

DRP

Lil-Rokslider
If you shop around you can find the lansky 3 stone for about $30. In my opinion a leather strop is a must have for knife sharpening. You can get strops of Amazon for $15-$30. Learn how to form a proper bur on your knife edge with the coarse stones and slowly take it down with the fine stone. Then put your knife on the strop and polish the edge.

Werty

WKR
I don't say this to be mean, but learning how to properly sharpen a knife will serve you better than anything else. Get 1000 and a 4000 grit wetstone.

If you shop around you can find the lansky 3 stone for about $30. In my opinion a leather strop is a must have for knife sharpening. You can get strops of Amazon for $15-$30. Learn how to form a proper bur on your knife edge with the coarse stones and slowly take it down with the fine stone. Then put your knife on the strop and polish the edge.

+1 on the strop! I was really impressed with how much of a difference it made the first time I got one. It’s great for my kitchen knives, too. I strop them every week or two and it brings them right back to shaving sharp. As long as the edge isn’t getting damaged, I can go a lot longer between sharpenings by maintaining with the strop.

I don't say this to be mean, but learning how to properly sharpen a knife will serve you better than anything else. Get 1000 and a 4000 grit wetstone.

Totally agree with this. Need to touch up your knife in the field? Nice to learn how to use a stone. Once learned, never forgotten. My dad had us using stones at 8 years old or so. Lots of cut fingers that year as we mastered the stones. :)

Work Sharp diamond hand sharpener is nice but a bit heavy. My knives are all hard steel, so I carry a DMT FWEF for touch up in the field. Those two together are just over your budget.

Last edited:

Woodrow F Call

Lil-Rokslider

I agree that learning to sharpen a knife will probably serve the OP better than anything. He probably doesn't need 1000 or 4000 grit wetstones. Those are only for polishing the edge. If all you need to do is touch up an edge, 1000 grit is fine. If you need to do some fixing, I like between 200-300 grit. If I was going to get one grit, I'd probably get a DMT diamond stone in 325 grit (the blue one).

I started with a DMT aligner (which I like better than the lansky, better stones) and a hand held microscope. I figured out how much work it takes to remove metal. I eventually worked my way to freehanding and can make a knife shave hair. It would shave better if I went to 4000 grit, but I don't see it as necessary.

I also think that a leather strop is really good to add. When you sharpen a knife. It gets wavy at the edge. You also get a little wire edge that can easily roll over and make your knife seem to be dull. Stropping straightens out that edge and will break that wire off.... the result is a super sharp edge.

All that being said: If you want stupid easy, get the work sharp. Watch their videos on how to use it. Practice and learn to use it. They work great, but they give you a convex edge (which has advantages) and may make field sharpening difficult unless you take the proper stuff with you. I'd still strop it after. Also, it can take away too much metal, so watch the videos on how to use it.

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
Arkansas stone and a strop with some jewelers rouge is tough to beat, but relatively steep learning curve and time consuming.

The Worksharp field sharpener is easy to use and plenty effective. It's what I pack for touch-ups between elk. It might take some extra effort the first time if you're going to condition your bevel to match the 20 deg. guides, but after that it's pretty quick and effective.