kodiak canvas flex bow tent

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
I know nothing of wall tents, but they look tough to set up with one person.

Is it reasonable to set one of these discussed wall tents up by yourself and if so how long does it take?

Thanks,

Eddie

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider

Is it reasonable to set one of these discussed wall tents up by yourself and if so how long does it take?

Thanks,

Eddie
The Kodiak can be set up with one person, a second hand makes it go faster.

KineKilla

WKR
I can have mine up and fully stocked inside (cot, bedding, table, etc.) within an hour. The tent itself is probably a 15-20 minute task if you're taking your time.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Gone4Days

WKR
I have a 10x14. Best tent i’ve ever owned. Easy setup, will last 20+ years if you take care of it.

eddielasvegas

Classified Approved
Here is a setup video for the Go Tent

Thanks BCH2. I wonder why it was a video done in 3x or 4x time and by a person who has set the tent up a million times? :D

Not trying to sound like an azzhat but there is no way the DT can be set up nearly as quickly as the KT.

Again, it's all what the buyer needs/wants in a tent, but that is way more involved than the KT FB tent.

Eddie

eddielasvegas

Classified Approved
Would love to see photos of everyone's tent setup. They look like a great option!
This is in late Nov. 2019 in AZ GMU 7E. Single digits the first couple nights and most nights were well below freezing.

I did have a Buddy Heater, but had yet to discover the benefits of using a thermal fan with it so it was a bit nippy in there at times.

Eddie

P.S. I have the same elk hunt this year except it's a week later so I am expecting a very wintry weather hunt.

Attachments

• KT.jpg
    KT.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 77
Thanks BCH2. I wonder why it was a video done in 3x or 4x time and by a person who has set the tent up a million times? :D

Not trying to sound like an azzhat but there is no way the DT can be set up nearly as quickly as the KT.

Again, it's all what the buyer needs/wants in a tent, but that is way more involved than the KT FB tent.

Eddie
It only took me that long to explain the process. It is fast forwarded. No one wants to watch someone pound every stake down. If you want I can give you the full version. It typically takes me about 15 minutes to set this tent up.

eddielasvegas

Classified Approved
It only took me that long to explain the process. It is fast forwarded. No one wants to watch someone pound every stake down. If you want I can give you the full version. It typically takes me about 15 minutes to set this tent up.
I see said the blind man who picked up a hammer and saw.

No need for the full version since I have a KT, but maybe a real time video would give folks a real sense of put up time which is often an important consideration for many when purchasing a larger tent.

Thanks,

Eddie

92xj

WKR
These things are hard to beat, solo or with a family. When family camping, the wife takes the kids and goes and play while I set up the tent. No need for a second hand in setting it up. The tent itself is up in under 8 minutes. So nice compared to any style wall tent.

The inside picture is a queen air mattress with a blue double sleeping bag, for reference.
23469829158_3da865fcc8_c.jpg

37321280571_d56598c9c9_c.jpg

OP
B
I like that 92xj! Just what I needed to see. I didn’t see where it’s on option to put a stove jack on one side or did you do that after market?

This is in late Nov. 2019 in AZ GMU 7E. Single digits the first couple nights and most nights were well below freezing.

I did have a Buddy Heater, but had yet to discover the benefits of using a thermal fan with it so it was a bit nippy in there at times.

Eddie

P.S. I have the same elk hunt this year except it's a week later so I am expecting a very wintry weather hunt.
Awesome! I'll have to remember that with the buddy heater!

These things are hard to beat, solo or with a family. When family camping, the wife takes the kids and goes and play while I set up the tent. No need for a second hand in setting it up. The tent itself is up in under 8 minutes. So nice compared to any style wall tent.

The inside picture is a queen air mattress with a blue double sleeping bag, for reference.
23469829158_3da865fcc8_c.jpg

37321280571_d56598c9c9_c.jpg
Great to see photos inside as well, gives a good reference to what you can really fit in these tents.

tracker12

WKR
I bought the SoringBar nearly 20 years ago and it has been a greatvtent and looks as good as the day I bought it. The China version sold as a Kodiak is a good cheaper version. I have several friends that have them and they have been solid.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also have a springbar 10x14.

I use a 10x14 rv outdoor mat on the inside to keep everything clean

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

oldgrowth

Lil-Rokslider
I had a Kodiak 10x14 and it is a really good tent for the money. It is built solid and can handle a surprising amount of snow and still remain standing (see pics below). We really liked it, but it was a little cramped for three cots on longer trips. For two people it would have been great. It worked well for weekend trips though. We recently upgraded to a 14x15 Davis tent, and it is an awesome tent. It is a lot roomier and not cramped at all, even with three cots, a table, and their largest woodstove. The Davis just seems much less cramped. I know it's 5 foot longer than the Kodiak I am comparing it to, but the angled walls on the Kodiak really seemed to cut down the usable space. Setup time on the Kodiak took me about 30 minutes to assemble by myself. The Davis tent took me about an hour or so to assemble by myself. The Davis is a lot bulkier and heavier than the Kodiak, but well worth it in my opinion. The only real gripe I had with both tents was the supplied stakes. The Kodiak stakes are hard to drive into rocky ground and the top of the stake is curved making a pain to drive without the hammer slipping off and hitting the tent, or the stake from bending when it hits a rock. The Davis stakes drive better because they are just a big nail and have a flat head and they work well for staking out the walls, but they are almost useless for guying out the tent. The most time consuming part of setting up both tents were staking them out. The Davis tent has a lot of stakes to drive, so it takes longer to set up, but it feels a lot sturdier, and the extra room is worth it to me. Here's a link to a review I did on the Davis tent if you are interested. https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/davis-tent-elk-package-review-part-1.307949/
https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/davis-tent-elk-package-part-2.307951/
Kodiak tent 3.jpg
Kodiak tent1.jpg

Thanks,

Eddie
I can set up my 10x10 VX in 10-15 minutes by myself. Its very easy.

OP
B
Well, I think I have decided to go with a Davis wall tent if I can swing the cash. Either the 14X15 or 14X20 and add a rain fly/awning next year. I already have a stand alone awning I use a lot so I can just set it up right in front of the tent. I may get the cook shack next year instead of the awning and then use the one I already have as well. I like the extra space and the sod cloth that secures it to the ground then the floor can set over the top of that. I think their package deals are a great price for everything they include with it.