Kodiak canvas lodge tent

Marshfly

WKR
I use the Spax bolts with washers with my Kodiak tent. I think I went 1/2 x8 or 10. Literally like bolting the tent to the earth. If these pull out it's time to evacuate from the tornado.

MGFARM

FNG
Love my 12x12, got it out for MN deer season this year. Super comfortable for 3 guys with full gear. Using a buddy heater with a 20lb tank allowed us to save weight and interior space vs using a wood stove, and it put out more consistent heat (need to move up to the Big Buddy unit though for next time - plus figuring out some type of reliable fan solution to circulate the warm air). Strongly recommend the Disco bunk cots to save space and using some kind of a canvas drop tarp inside to protect the floor (used a 12x12 White Duck Canvas drop tarp). Make sure to season the tent beforehand and you're good 👍
I use a wood stove fan off Amazon (it’s called the Tomersun 3 Blades). You can’t “feel” the wind from the fan but it does move the heat throughout the tent.

I bought the 12x16 cabin tent back in October and used it twice, once for a family camping trip for 3 nights and for deer camp for 3 nights. It's a stellar tent and I've got it paired with a Camp Chef Alpine wood stove. The silicone ring on the stove pipe melted a little bit and started cracking. It doesn't look like there's an easy way to replace it if I need to without either sending it back or cutting out a hole and figuring out some way to tape a new silicone ring on. It's super roomy and we were able to easily fit 8+ people with pets inside and still have room for the wood stove. Lots of space and definitely worth the investment.

Now finding a place for it to dry once you get it home is the tough part because of the size...

I bought the 12x16 cabin tent back in October and used it twice, once for a family camping trip for 3 nights and for deer camp for 3 nights. It's a stellar tent and I've got it paired with a Camp Chef Alpine wood stove. The silicone ring on the stove pipe melted a little bit and started cracking. It doesn't look like there's an easy way to replace it if I need to without either sending it back or cutting out a hole and figuring out some way to tape a new silicone ring on. It's super roomy and we were able to easily fit 8+ people with pets inside and still have room for the wood stove. Lots of space and definitely worth the investment.

Now finding a place for it to dry once you get it home is the tough part because of the size...
8 people plus pets? We normally hunt 4-6 guys and thinking about this tent… assuming this was no cots and guys in bags on the ground?

If it helps any, here are a couple of real life pics of the 10x10 version set up at Sportsman’s that I took this Fall.

Attachments

• IMG_3295.jpeg
    IMG_3295.jpeg
    308.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3296.jpeg
    IMG_3296.jpeg
    274.9 KB · Views: 58

Tahoe1305

WKR
8 people plus pets? We normally hunt 4-6 guys and thinking about this tent… assuming this was no cots and guys in bags on the ground?
I’ll let him pile on, but I have the 12x12 with front porch.

Realistically I think you could fit 2 disco bunks and seperate cot. Maximum of 5 with a stove. (MAYBE 3 full bunks….pushing it). Without bunks, max of 3. You’d need the front porch with that many for gear storage. Just my 2 cents.

If you went floor only you can cram a lot of folks in there…..just don’t see many doing that with these kinda tents that are more comfort focused.

You're right, everyone was on the ground and that many folks were specifically for the camping trip. For deer camp, we had 5 guys, 2 in cots, and 3 on the floor - we still had room. I've thought about those bunk cots which would open up a ton more floor space.

I originally went with the 12x12 but ended up returning it as soon as it arrived and swapped with the 12x16. I just didn't want everyone to feel cramped.

Glad to see this post! I've been watching every darn video I can on the Kodiak Canvas tent to get enough feedback to buy or not. Looks good, reasonably priced, seems quite solid in wind and rain storms, has a hot stove with a jack through the top which is what we need for our deer hunting in Nov and Dec.
I'm looking to fit 4 guys with cots plus a stove and gear. What size do you guys have to accommodate your hunting group?

Tahoe1305

WKR
Glad to see this post! I've been watching every darn video I can on the Kodiak Canvas tent to get enough feedback to buy or not. Looks good, reasonably priced, seems quite solid in wind and rain storms, has a hot stove with a jack through the top which is what we need for our deer hunting in Nov and Dec.
I'm looking to fit 4 guys with cots plus a stove and gear. What size do you guys have to accommodate your hunting group?
12x12 if you’re ok with one bunk setup. Can possibly squeeze 4 reasonable sized cots as well but will be snug.

Get the porch for optional extra storage, small price for lot of expansion.

12x12 if you’re ok with one bunk setup. Can possibly squeeze 4 reasonable sized cots as well but will be snug.

Get the porch for optional extra storage, small price for lot of expansion.
Thank you! I'm guessing the 12X12 is a bit tight then? I'll consider the next size up then because there's nothing worse than being up each other's butt in camp and trying to change clothes, sleep, eat etc! Thank you for telling me about your experience.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Thank you! I'm guessing the 12X12 is a bit tight then? I'll consider the next size up then because there's nothing worse than being up each other's butt in camp and trying to change clothes, sleep, eat etc! Thank you for telling me about your experience.
Yeah if you want more space the 12x16 will easily sleep 4 in their own spots. The fire place takes up about 5’ on that side (giving a tad for heat spacing).

Love my setup, had it up for over 50 days from August to November. Saw rain and snow.

It'll be up for bear season in a few months
ebb0489e9a728e7d251f1c7e8d573427.jpg

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

I was in the same position as you and went with the 12x16. I did not regret it. Way more spacious with room to spare. If you ever get the add-on, it’ll be even bigger.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I bought two water/mud door mats from Costco. One is outside and the other inside. It really help keep the snow out of the tent. I have the awing as well.

I also use 3/8x10" lag bolts with standard washers instead of stakes.. I wrap electric tape below the washer to keep the washer from coming off. I just build it up until the washer can't fall off. I tried fender washers at first but found that they can get in the way of placing the wall poles into the pins.
If you cut a small piece of bicycle inner tube you can use that instead of electrical tape to keep the washer from coming off. Just poke the lag bolt through it and pull it up to just below the washer.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Be careful with those. I was having a stove jack put into my kodiak tent and the guy at the wall tent shop showed he much more flammable the material is vs. flame resistant wall tent fabric. They are dangerously flammable.
Of course, he's trying to sell you one of his tents

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk