Kodiak canvas lodge tent

I was in the market for a wall tent and was able to get a good deal through a private dealer for this tent. I know it’s not a Montana canvas or a Davis tent but these Kodiak tents have really good reviews from what I’ve researched. I’ve got 2 deer hunts and 2 elk hunts this year and I’ll be using it on all of them. I’ll keep this post updated with its performance over the season, I set it up this morning and I am impressed with the ease of set up and the space it provides. I can fit 4 with the stove and 7 without roughly. Im excited to put it through the paces this year.

Attachments

• IMG_6034.jpeg
    IMG_6034.jpeg
    617.7 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_6040.jpeg
    IMG_6040.jpeg
    581.8 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_6042.jpeg
    IMG_6042.jpeg
    265.6 KB · Views: 143
i have this same tent the 12x12 got it 4 years ago and also got the awning. I love it and it has worked great no issues at all. The only down side is it take a while to setup because of all the stakes. and the awning is a bit of a challenge to setup.

I was in the market for a wall tent and was able to get a good deal through a private dealer for this tent. I know it’s not a Montana canvas or a Davis tent but these Kodiak tents have really good reviews from what I’ve researched. I’ve got 2 deer hunts and 2 elk hunts this year and I’ll be using it on all of them. I’ll keep this post updated with its performance over the season, I set it up this morning and I am impressed with the ease of set up and the space it provides. I can fit 4 with the stove and 7 without roughly. Im excited to put it through the paces this year.
What size did you get as there seems to be a few models? We’ve been debating on the 12x16 plus the enclosed awning instead of a wall tent. Looks easier, faster, and more comfortable than a standard wall tent.

Also any reviews of how this has done for you? Would love to hear your thoughts further.

Any updates on these? Thinking of checking one out. I have the flexbow tent and it's been great.

MThuntr

WKR
Any updates on these? Thinking of checking one out. I have the flexbow tent and it's been great.
I've had a 12x12 for a couple years. Works great. As stated it's a bear to setup with all the stakes and is slow going when solo but it is very possible to do. The floor is hard to keep clean without a "no shoes" policy or some indoor/outdoor carpet. I bought a 12x12 tarp to lay down as a first but complete unnecessary. I have a welding blanket as floor protection at the stove but found I will probably add another to ensure the floor isn't melted with accidental overfiring of the stove. The windows are great to let a cross breeze. I don't have the vestibule but keep thinking about one.

There is a center pole but I bought some hooks to hang a lantern or clothes.

manitou1

WKR
Great tent.
I find it easy to set up by myself considering it's size.
Love all the windows and ventilation.
A great tent fir the $$.

cowdisciple

Lil-Rokslider
I'd suggest switching to lag screws if you haven't tried them yet. I use them for my 10x14 flexbow and there's no way I could go back to pounding stakes

What kind of lag screws are folks using for this, and where do they come from? A link would be great. It does sound like a good idea on hardpack, ice and/or frozen ground.

stank.243

Lil-Rokslider
What kind of lag screws are folks using for this, and where do they come from? A link would be great. It does sound like a good idea on hardpack, ice and/or frozen ground.
I bought, I believe, 10” 3/8 lags from the local hardware store and then put washers on when I drive them in.

manitou1

WKR
I ordered mine (12") off the internet. Just shopped around for the best price and bought a box of 50.

We have very hard, rocky ground here and nany times it is frozen. Got tired of bending (even rebar) stakes.

A hammer drill and these lag screws are the trick.

I would say 10" or 12" would do.

Another thing I do is get bright colored pool noodles and cut them in 12-15" sections and put them on the tie down ropes. Helps to locate the ropes after dark and reduces the "oopsies".

IMG_5456.jpeg

MGFARM

FNG
I've had a 12x12 for a couple years. Works great. As stated it's a bear to setup with all the stakes and is slow going when solo but it is very possible to do. The floor is hard to keep clean without a "no shoes" policy or some indoor/outdoor carpet. I bought a 12x12 tarp to lay down as a first but complete unnecessary. I have a welding blanket as floor protection at the stove but found I will probably add another to ensure the floor isn't melted with accidental overfiring of the stove. The windows are great to let a cross breeze. I don't have the vestibule but keep thinking about one.

There is a center pole but I bought some hooks to hang a lantern or clothes.
I bought two water/mud door mats from Costco. One is outside and the other inside. It really help keep the snow out of the tent. I have the awing as well.

I also use 3/8x10" lag bolts with standard washers instead of stakes.. I wrap electric tape below the washer to keep the washer from coming off. I just build it up until the washer can't fall off. I tried fender washers at first but found that they can get in the way of placing the wall poles into the pins.

Pinewood

Lil-Rokslider
Be careful with those. I was having a stove jack put into my kodiak tent and the guy at the wall tent shop showed he much more flammable the material is vs. flame resistant wall tent fabric. They are dangerously flammable.

Dr.Chill

FNG
Love my 12x12, got it out for MN deer season this year. Super comfortable for 3 guys with full gear. Using a buddy heater with a 20lb tank allowed us to save weight and interior space vs using a wood stove, and it put out more consistent heat (need to move up to the Big Buddy unit though for next time - plus figuring out some type of reliable fan solution to circulate the warm air). Strongly recommend the Disco bunk cots to save space and using some kind of a canvas drop tarp inside to protect the floor (used a 12x12 White Duck Canvas drop tarp). Make sure to season the tent beforehand and you're good 👍

Attachments

• PXL_20231107_202604168~3.jpg
    PXL_20231107_202604168~3.jpg
    681.7 KB · Views: 62
  • PXL_20231111_144925967.jpg
    PXL_20231111_144925967.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 62
  • PXL_20231108_030535661~2.jpg
    PXL_20231108_030535661~2.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 60