Kodiak Goat hunt - in 4 weeks

Wow. That makes me reconsider taking my suppressor on my 26" barrel 300 PRC!
I love hunting with a suppressor... That being said for backpack hunts/ hiking through alders I leave it at home. saves the weight and getting hung up on everything!

You'll see goats from a long ways off and have plenty of time to put ear plugs in

OP
ttmannan

ttmannan

Lil-Rokslider
I love hunting with a suppressor... That being said for backpack hunts/ hiking through alders I leave it at home. saves the weight and getting hung up on everything!

You'll see goats from a long ways off and have plenty of time to put ear plugs in
I find, when hunting, I don't notice it as much as when I'm at the range. But other people appreciate my suppressor as the muzzle brake on it is loud! I do notice, at the range, a great deal of difference in recoil and sound.

Best tip for goats (Alaska in general) if its still standing, keep shooting! Tough buggers! Headed to Kodiak myself mid October.

uncastan

FNG
I always recommend synthetic sleeping bag and synthetic insulation on Kodiak. Most nights you go to the tent wet and crawl into your bag wet. I know there are many new waterproof down insulation options today, but the guides up there will warn you to stick to synthetic. Sounds like you're doing a great job in physical preparation, you'll be more than prepared.
It's a special place, enjoy your trip.

OP
ttmannan

ttmannan

Lil-Rokslider
I always recommend synthetic sleeping bag and synthetic insulation on Kodiak. Most nights you go to the tent wet and crawl into your bag wet. I know there are many new waterproof down insulation options today, but the guides up there will warn you to stick to synthetic. Sounds like you're doing a great job in physical preparation, you'll be more than prepared.
It's a special place, enjoy your trip.
Thanks. I have a BA that's synthetic and 20 degree bag but much heavier than my 15 degree brand new kuiu bag. I use a bag liner too... that kuiu bag is quixdown... I may end up hating it but I hope not.

OP
ttmannan

ttmannan

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for the advise on here the hunt was a success. Kuiu sleeping bag was great, outdoorsman's external frame long range pack was great, 300PRC with 212gr was more than enough, Lathrop and Sons boots were amazing, Kuiu puffy and sitka ambient hoody mid layer were perfect.
Good luck @Rcarlson375HH
look where you’re stepping not where you’re going.
This was a fantastic piece of advise.
I didn't track all my miles but did track a little over 25 of them and I kept this in mind most of the time.

Weldor

WKR
Boy am I envious, sounds like it is going to be a great hunt. Broke my back in 2 places years back. Can't carry much weight anymore. I try to stay in shape with limitations at my age. Reading here sure sounds like a great adventure, Best of luck to you. Always wanted to hunt Kodiak.

bascott1

WKR
Thanks everyone for the advise on here the hunt was a success. Kuiu sleeping bag was great, outdoorsman's external frame long range pack was great, 300PRC with 212gr was more than enough, Lathrop and Sons boots were amazing, Kuiu puffy and sitka ambient hoody mid layer were perfect.
Good luck @Rcarlson375HH

This was a fantastic piece of advise.
I didn't track all my miles but did track a little over 25 of them and I kept this in mind most of the time.
Glad it helped. Helped me a lot mentally. Got a pic of your goat?

OP
ttmannan

ttmannan

Lil-Rokslider
Glad it helped. Helped me a lot mentally. Got a pic of your goat?
IMG_0251.jpeg It was dark by the time we got down to him. He took three steps and fell over but then he kicked and fell nearly 1,200 feet down the mountain. Some more pics in trip report here -trip report

Last edited: