Kowa 773 (from Razor 65mm)

I'm looking at making a similar switch too. The 77 seems to make a big difference. The kowa's are killer in general I've heard. Thanks for the info!

A few updates:
My digiscoping skills with the Kowa TSN-PA7 and my Sony a6400 still suck, but it's a work in progress. I'm working on getting my shutter speeds down. I've found you need to go fast (1/500 or better) in order to get clear images, which makes sense.

I upgraded my tripod from a Vortex Summit to the Slik 624, but, more importantly, I upgraded the head to a Sirui VA5 (thanks @S&S Archery (Rob) ). The VA5 is impressive - just search around, it's tough to find a bad review. I'll get a monster aluminum tripod for truck/atv use sometime down the road.

If you own a Razor and a Summit tripod, you would do well just to upgrade the head. The Razor does great, but the pan head that comes on that tripod is so sloppy it's ridiculous. A few shots for comparison:

View attachment 257553

Where the rubber meets the road. The Vortex pan head's mount surface (left) compared to the VA5's.
View attachment 257554

And, shown along with the tripods' mounting surfaces. L to R: vortex pan head, tripod; Slik tripod, Sirui head.
View attachment 257557

If you want to put the VA5 on the Vortex tripod, you'd need an adapter screw, but they're easy to get and cheap. This is what it would look like; not a good match, but I think it would work fine.
View attachment 257560

And the quick connect plates (L: vortex, R: sirui). (L: wobbly; R: not wobbly).
View attachment 257561

Another bonus: the Peak Design Capture plate will *fit* in the VA5. It slides in perfectly (Arca-Swiss), but it doesn't go in completely due to the clamping mechanism in the VA5. It locks in comfortably enough for me to use it with my a6400. I wouldn't put heavy optics in there with the PD.
View attachment 257562
This helped me out so much. Thank you! I have the same vortex tripod and currently looking at the VA5 and a carbon tripod. Everything I have read is that the VA5 is by far the best head on the market for the price. It is making it very tempting but I think you just sealed the deal for me. Thanks again!!

OP
idcuda

idcuda

WKR
This helped me out so much. Thank you! I have the same vortex tripod and currently looking at the VA5 and a carbon tripod. Everything I have read is that the VA5 is by far the best head on the market for the price. It is making it very tempting but I think you just sealed the deal for me. Thanks again!!
Great to hear, thanks! And good luck on your purchase. I really like the setup and I'm excited to finally get out more with it now that spring is here. Bear season's coming.

cronsman

WKR
My 773 is awesome as well. Super happy with it and not upset I didn't spend an extra $1000 to get the swaro