Kowa 883 Case

HuntnID

FNG
I'm looking for a case for my Kowa 883. I don't know if I like the nylon one and would prefer a neoprene one. I would figure someone makes one but can't find any. Those that ate running an 883, what are you using?

OP
H

HuntnID

FNG
I was thinking of picking up a neoprene case for a Razor HD 85. Those seem to be a very similar size.

OP
H

HuntnID

FNG
I saw that but thought it wasnt available inside US for some reason since nobody else sells it.

MattB355

Lil-Rokslider
Haha, yes. That is the 254mm (10") Dob telescope. It gathers much more light than the small Kowa. The only issue is everything is flipped and upside down and it is a little bit harder to find a backpack to fit it for the backcountry...lol.

Haha, yes. That is the 254mm (10") Dob telescope. It gathers much more light than the small Kowa. The only issue is everything is flipped and upside down and it is a little bit harder to find a backpack to fit it for the backcountry...lol.
Is the refrigerator truck how you transport the telescope? Might work.

morgan1h

Lil-Rokslider
I'm also looking into the best protection options for my 883 - both for the truck on nasty roads as well as packing on backcountry hunts. I'll accept a reasonable weight penalty for better protection of my investment. - I can be rough on gear.

I have the C-881 stay-on case already, and it's ok, but the lack of padding concerns me in the event I take a tumble with it on my back or if the scope is ever dropped. The marsupial gear spotter cases look about perfect, but they don't list a direct size for the 883. The 95mm atx might be the closest? I sent Marsupial an email to ask about sizing. Fit dependent, I thought of even running both cases to always have some protection on it and ditching the c-881's focus and base covers. I suppose this case from Kowa would be an alternative, but it seems like it would always be awkward to use. Anyone else running a different padded scope case?

I have a hard time with the price point on the neoprene case Kowa makes. But I'm thinking light neoprene on the scope then transported inside the Marsupial might be the ultimate if sizing can work out. Interested to hear if anyone has found a neoprene alternative that can fit? Maybe one for the older style Vortex Razor 85mm?

Last edited:

pc3

WKR
I'm also looking into the best protection options for my 883 - both for the truck on nasty roads as well as packing on backcountry hunts. I'll accept a reasonable weight penalty for better protection of my investment. - I can be rough on gear.

I have the C-881 stay-on case already, and it's ok, but the lack of padding concerns me in the event I take a tumble with it on my back or if the scope is ever dropped. The marsupial gear spotter cases look about perfect, but they don't list a direct size for the 883. The 95mm atx might be the closest? I sent Marsupial an email to ask about sizing. Fit dependent, I thought of even running both cases to always have some protection on it and ditching the c-881's focus and base covers. I suppose this case from Kowa would be an alternative, but it seems like it would always be awkward to use. Anyone else running a different padded scope case?

I have a hard time with the price point on the neoprene case Kowa makes. But I'm thinking light neoprene on the scope then transported inside the Marsupial might be the ultimate if sizing can work out. Interested to hear if anyone has found a neoprene alternative that can fit? Maybe one for the older style Vortex Razor 85mm?
I have not got the Kowa but see your thinking of the marsupial 95 atx case for your 883. I have the Marsupial 95 ATX case for my Meopta S2, with Acra Plate fitted on the bottom its a snug fit. I have a feeling the Kowa 883 is a bigger unit than the S2. Thought it might help you.

The marsupial is the way to go-- I use the 95mm for my 773 and there is a little extra room but better than not being able to close it.

ghostrider272

Lil-Rokslider
Duck-For your 773 do you have the Kowa stay on case as well? Or is it just the spotter in the case?

morgan1h

Lil-Rokslider
So, the 95mm atx Marsupial very nicely fits over my 883 while its wearing the C-881 stay-on case! (I'm not using the snap-on eyepiece cover, or the base cover, and I'm doubling the focus knob cover back over. It might get cut off in the future.)
A little more expensive setup since it took buying two cases, but I'm happy with where it ended up - lots of protection for both transport and use as well as smooth usability in taking it from the case to the tripod. If I was starting over, I'd look for a neoprene cover that fits the 883 and use that with the marsupial.

Last edited:

morgan1h

Lil-Rokslider
389c0daaeec44c5cb75c267b3ab6ac85.jpg

450c8f31576ebedb6a3d2e8f1d7d8a8f.jpg

e51b46f9def695540528fdc341d509b8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats a nice set up, and I agree im not a huge fans of the case. I have a CrookedHorn carrying case for my spotter. just want something that will protect it when I'm changing from the 15s to the spotter back and forth. Thats the one thing I liked about my Vortex spotter... the Case was perfect

Anyone have any new options for cases for the 883? Looking at getting one of the neoprene cases from cameraland, they are expensive though.