Kowa TSN-773 vs Swarovski ATS 65 HD

buffsmoker

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to upgrade my spotter, and hoping for some first hand opinions on these two. I'll be using it mainly for backpack high country (if the snow ever melts) mule deer here in Colorado. But will also be used for later rifle season elk as well as pronghorn hunts. Key considerations I've come up with so far, through searching here and on some birding forums:

- Kowa is about 9 oz heavier
- I'd prefer the wide angle eyepiece on both, the Kowa tops out at 60x, Swaro at 50x
- Larger objective on the Kowa = larger exit pupil
- Swaro has better armor, so the body is more protected (don't really want to run a stay on case)
- Swaro seems to hold resale value better
- Swaro possibly has a better warranty process??
- According to the birders, the Kowa might hold an edge in optical performance

So....anything I'm missing that I should consider? Anybody have experience with both and recommend one over the other? Thanks.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have a 773 and have spent plenty of time behind Swaro 65s and 80s. You can't go wrong with either choice. The Prominar eyepiece is probably the best eyepiece on the market. Pack size is pretty close on both, and there's a thread going right now with warranty info on all optic brands. Kowa says 7-10 business days for original owner for products bought in the US from certified dealers. 3-4 weeks for non warranty repairs. Kowa is limited lifetime to original owner, Swaro has changed their warranty terms, it's in that thread as well, but it is no longer lifetime. Best thing would be to spend time behind both and let your eyes tell you which one to get. I like the bigger objective and almost identical pack size of the 773 compared to the 65. Everyone is different though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bow puller

Lil-Rokslider
Like sneaky said can't go wrong with either. I've used both on the same early archery deer hunt one year apart from each other. You are right, wide angle is the only way to go. Backpacking I'd lean toward the swaro do to weight. Both are fantastic scopes.

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Feel free to give me a call tomorrow, I carried both around for a couple of weeks. I did end up going with the Kowa, simply because it seemed to be better optically in just about every situation. But for a weight conscience hunter the ATS can't be beat with all things considered.

Rob
208-495-4222

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk