Kowa vs Maven Spotter

CB4

WKR
With the Kowa 773 on sale I am having a tough debate between that or the Maven S.1A. Anyone have any input?

Only other glass currently are 12x50 binos.

dwhicker

FNG
No experience with the maven so maybe this holds no value but when I compared the Kowa with the alpha glass (Swaro ATX, Ziess Harpia 95) the Kowa was just as good if not better in most areas. Needless to say I ended up with a new Kowa 88 and I absolutely love it. With the 77 on sale I think it’s the best value spotter on the market hands down.

elkguide

WKR
I have the Maven S1a. It's a really good spotter. The Kowa is better but for me and what I use a spotter for the Maven does the job.

sndmn11

WKR
I have the Maven S1a. It's a really good spotter. The Kowa is better but for me and what I use a spotter for the Maven does the job.
This is where I landed. I had a Kowa 88x for all of last year and liked it a lot. I also simultaneously had a Maven S1a. At one point I also had a Swaro STS80 but that was the first to go.

If a person glassed every year all day most days I think they'd find a difference in the Kowa vs Maven. I kept the Maven because it satisfied my needs just fine and my resale value on the Kowa held so I was a net0.

For what it is worth, I also couldn't tell any difference between the Kowa 77x and the 88x versions except for a literal few minutes at dusk and dawn on partly cloudy to overcast days.

OP
CB4

CB4

WKR
No experience with the maven so maybe this holds no value but when I compared the Kowa with the alpha glass (Swaro ATX, Ziess Harpia 95) the Kowa was just as good if not better in most areas.
Seems like that was the concensus in many of the reviews.

Thanks for the input. I believe both would do the job. I can get them for relatively the same price so its a toss up.

If a person glassed every year all day most days I think they'd find a difference in the Kowa vs Maven. I kept the Maven because it satisfied my needs just fine and my resale value on the Kowa held so I was a net0.
The resale value of the Kowa is what has me interested but I believe Maven would have the better warrenty if something were to ever happen.

Buy both and use them extensively this summer in field conditions. Sell whichever one you like less.
I wish that was in the budget, plus I live in the midwest so testing with a spotter is limited.

sndmn11

WKR
The resale value of the Kowa is what has me interested but I believe Maven would have the better warrenty if something were to ever happen.
Possibly. I know I can get a hold of someone at Maven immediately.

I am unsure of others' experience, but I have dropped and generally not been easy on the spotters I have, and they have never broken. I think that could be because they have minimal internal moving parts like a rifle scope they don't collimate like two barrels of a binocular, and they aren't really built to save weight.

Outside of a direct drop onto a pointy hard something that hits a lens, I can't think of what I do with a spotter that could wreck it. Even a tipped-over tripod.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I owned both and had the maven and the kowa77 side by side. I currently still own the kow 77.

KOWA USA is really ramping up its presence as an Alpha optics manufacturer and working hard to establish their customer service as the same. Reach out to them and see if that changes how you feel.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I wish that was in the budget, plus I live in the midwest so testing with a spotter is limited.
I periodically go to a local riparian reserver to practice glassing. While not looking for deer or elk, I do look for ground mice, small lizards, etc. It is the same concept; just changing the bits and pieces that I am looking for. And if someone asks, I just tell them I'm birding and it is all good.

No matter where you (generic) are, there is always somewhere or somehow to test optics (just don't get caught being a peeping Tom). Just scale the animal size down. Can still look at color and contrast comparisons, how the scope does penetrating deep shade, etc.

Reactions: CB4

Matt G.

WKR
I believe the kowa is slightly smaller and few ounces lighter. I like the dual focus better on the kowa then the helical on the maven. Also resale value is better on the kowa especially at current sale price.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

wnelson14

WKR
Maven has the try before you buy option on demos, also you can find used ones for much cheaper and they hold their warranty. I got mine almost brand new on eBay for $1400-$1500, Kowa is probably a better spotter.

ZackP

WKR
Haven’t tried the S1 personally, but I honestly believe in my opinion, the Kowa 77 is the best do it all spotter on the planet. I said what I said 🤷🏼‍♂️

Dual focus for me, and the eyepiece is killer.
I’ve never had an issue getting ahold of Kowa. Paul usually responds by email within 2 business days, I’m sure it would be faster to call, but I have never needed the warranty and was frankly just kicking tires.