Kowa's new 66mm with Fluorite is finally here!

CCH

WKR
While either one is out of my price range, I'd be inclined to spend almost $500 less on a lighter Swaro STS 65. Not knocking it, as I'm sure the optics are excellent.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
While either one is out of my price range, I'd be inclined to spend almost $500 less on a lighter Swaro STS 65. Not knocking it, as I'm sure the optics are excellent.
In fairness the Swarovski msrp is over 2800

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

mod7rem

FNG
Thanks for the videos. Now I gotta decide if the 7oz difference is worth going through the trouble of selling my 77 and paying extra money for the 66….
I feel the same. My first Kowa years ago was a 663 Prominar and it was a great scope. Then eventually switched to my 773 and love it. I also have a 554 Flourite that is very handy. A 66mm Flourite is very tempting. I guess I could sell both scopes and go back to one 66mm.
Ahhhhh I hate new gear and the decisions that torture us ha ha.

If there were a Spotting Scope Hall of Fame the Kowa 77mm would certainly be there. It was spectacular. However, if initial indications are correct and the new 66mm rivals its performance in a smaller/lighter package it will prove a great option for backpack hunters.

Does anyone know how many mounting screws the new 66A has on its foot? My 88A has two and provides a very solid grip on the mounting plate.

CCH

WKR
I was just going off the pre-order price at S&S for the Kowa and the first Swarovski price I found online at B&H Photo ($2,548).

Well guys, I jumped on this one. As long as Kowa gets them shipped out on time, I should have the 66A in time for the Sheep opener here in Alaska.

After using the 55 and 77 for several years, and trying the 88 for a couple months this Spring, I have very high hopes for this being the ideal spotter for mountain hunting.

The tests Rob and crew did were very good, but one important factor not addressed in the comparison between the ATS and the 66A, is that the Wide Angle eyepiece of the Swaro maxes out at 50x, whereas the Kowa is 60x plus a wider field of view. Couple that with the excellent Kowa 1.6x extender, and you have a spotter that clearly stands head and shoulders in capability over the ATS.

Antares

WKR
Well guys, I jumped on this one. As long as Kowa gets them shipped out on time, I should have the 66A in time for the Sheep opener here in Alaska.

After using the 55 and 77 for several years, and trying the 88 for a couple months this Spring, I have very high hopes for this being the ideal spotter for mountain hunting.

The tests Rob and crew did were very good, but one important factor not addressed in the comparison between the ATS and the 66A, is that the Wide Angle eyepiece of the Swaro maxes out at 50x, whereas the Kowa is 60x plus a wider field of view. Couple that with the excellent Kowa 1.6x extender, and you have a spotter that clearly stands head and shoulders in capability over the ATS.

Can you stop with this please? I’m trying to tell myself I’m happy with my 55/88 combo.

Joking aside, I’ll be interested to hear what you think of the 66A compared to the 55.

Can you stop with this please? I’m trying to tell myself I’m happy with my 55/88 combo.

Joking aside, I’ll be interested to hear what you think of the 66A compared to the 55.
If it can eliminate the need for the 55 and a larger 77/88, then I’ll be ahead monetarily and have one less decision to make before a hunt. I definitely give up a lot of capability by bringing the 55 over a larger scope:
fov, magnification, ease of use, phone scope performance etc.

Antares

WKR
Yeah, I hear you. I honestly do not like looking through the 55. It’s really finicky for me to get behind with such a small exit pupil, but it’s so light, it’s a pleasure to carry.

The 88 on the other hand is FUN to look through, but I never hunt with it. It’s more for the truck, day hikes, scouting, etc.

I’m not getting rid of my 88, but upgrading my 554 to a 66S is tempting. Using my 88 eyepieces would be nice, but there’s a 1.5 pound weight difference which is not so nice.

Last edited:

I’m in the same boat, I can’t really see it replacing the 88 though. Honestly can’t see it replacing the 55 at that weight. Probably just need all three.

mod7rem

FNG
If it can eliminate the need for the 55 and a larger 77/88, then I’ll be ahead monetarily and have one less decision to make before a hunt. I definitely give up a lot of capability by bringing the 55 over a larger scope:
fov, magnification, ease of use, phone scope performance etc.
This is what I’m wondering as well. I could sell my 55 and my 77, and just go with the 66 which will be close in performance to the 77 according to comparisons, and be 6-7 oz lighter than the 77.
I would be thinking a lot more seriously about it if I thought I would be money ahead in the end, but I’ll probably break even on the money and lose the versatility of the 55/77 combo. The 55 is awesome to have and carry for some things. I used it in Wyoming last year for antelope and it was great. I never felt like I needed or missed my 77 for that hunt.

Randonee

Lil-Rokslider
Great comparison video. Thank you. Getting several different opinions is key to me, and knowing they are honest assessments.

I think it’s real hard to beat having a 55 and a 77, 88, or 99. The 55 doesn’t need hardly any tripod to stabilize, making an entire spotter plus tripod system legitimately ultra lightweight, while still resolving very well. Then, in cases where there’s more time involved glassing with a spotter and or little need to be so lightweight, the larger spotter affords great joy to look through and into darker hours

Last edited: