Kryptek Aegis Review, By Jared Bloomgren

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Coyote.jpg

If you're looking for some extreme cold-weather gear for your late-season hunts, this review is for you. Let Jared know if you have any questions about this line and he'll get you the info!

Kryptek Aegis Review

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Glad to hear they have made it less noisy, i have contemplated on/off getting aegis line for whitetail stand hunting, now i can start watching for sales lol

They really improved it from the first ones out! Didn’t have any issues with whitetails at 5 yards on silent evening hunts. Was able to draw back and kill my buck without him hearing a thing! It was a dead silent, very cold evening!

I have the Kryptek Vellus jacket and really don't like how loud it is. Do you have any experience with the Vellus and can you tell me how the noise of it compares to the Aegis? Thanks...

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the Kryptek Vellus jacket and really don't like how loud it is. Do you have any experience with the Vellus and can you tell me how the noise of it compares to the Aegis? Thanks...
You think the fleece of the Vellus is too loud? I have a review on here as well about the Vellus kit and the quietness is one of the things that I liked most about it. The fleece is definitely quieter than the Aegis material. Fleece (Vellus) is the quietest material of all in my opinion. I am really confused how yours is loud? I had a whitetail buck directly below me at 14 feet and got away with all kinds of movement with 0 breeze. Pretty dang quiet fleece!

Here is the Vellus review.

I totally agree the the outer fleece layer is super quiet but it's like there's an inner layer of something? Maybe the water proof layer? Idk? Thanks for your response.

golfbum

WKR
Anyone have anymore opinions on this and the Vellus line?

Need some late season gear and thinking about the aegis and Vellus or possibly the Sitka incinerator and stratus set.

This would be archery hunting so quiet is my biggest concern as well as warmth

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone have anymore opinions on this and the Vellus line?

Need some late season gear and thinking about the aegis and Vellus or possibly the Sitka incinerator and stratus set.

This would be archery hunting so quiet is my biggest concern as well as warmth
I have used them both extensively in the Kryptek pattern. The Vellus is quieter than the Aegis. Would you be on the move or in a stand/blind? If on the move in snow I would lean towards the Aegis. If still I would lean towards the Vellus. Bit if on the move the Aegis will be too warm in temps above 20 degrees unless you are not exerting yourself a great deal.

golfbum

WKR
It would be for stand use. I have a couple mile hike in that I climb 1500 or so feet then would be sitting all day long. I get cold easily and it’s a north facing slope that doesn’t see much sun. This would be for late oct-dec in Utah on a late season archery hunt……

I would like minimal layers as I would be hiking in just a base layer top and pants. Can add a layer or two but want/need something warm and quiet