Kryptek Takur Raingear

MtnMuley

WKR
$699 for the jacket and $649 for the pants in the Altitude pattern? I'm really wanting to support these guys, but nearly $1400 for a set of good hunting raingear is crazy. I can pay full price for the equivalent sitka and save a couple hundred bucks and not to even mention the Kuiu Yukon at less than half the price not on sale and it's proven as the best of the best by many. As I missing something here?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I recently went down the rabbit hole looking for the best rain gear. I thought about the Kryptek for a hot minute....well maybe a day or 2 then ultimately decided I couldn’t justify it.

I was back and forth between the Sitka and the kuiu then kuiu had that 8 year anniversary sale, I was still on the fence at 600 bucks thinking my patched up marmot precip would get me through another season but then active junky had the 12% cash back on kuiu so I pulled the trigger on the Yukon. Got it for ~ 600 bucks and ~82 dollars back on my purchase from active junky so 518.00 for the Yukon set.

Only problem is now I’m wondering if I should have gotten the Chugach.

OP
M

MtnMuley

WKR
You did well. I debated the same move. As a true western hunter using only the lightweight Sitka Dewpoint the last many years, it's hard to splurge into "real" hunting rain gear. On a side note, no way would I ever recommend the Chugach over the Yukon.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
You did well. I debated the same move. As a true western hunter using only the lightweight Sitka Dewpoint the last many years, it's hard to splurge into "real" hunting rain gear. On a side note, no way would I ever recommend the Chugach over the Yukon.

I used to think that expensive raingear was a ripoff and that my marmot precip was more than enough. Then I moved to southeast Alaska and realized there was something to it.

I still had trouble pulling the trigger for 725.00 on the Yukon but with the sales and the cash back from active junky I just went for it.

The reason I was wondering if the Chugach would suit me better is that I guess it’s lighter weight and more packable than the Yukon but I’d imagine the Yukon is more durable. Anyways, no need to skimp on tents and raingear.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
The Takur is the best rain gear I've ever used and I hate the word "Best". It actually feels breathable, sounds funny to say that about rain gear. Hasn't leaked and is way more durable than it feels.

And to compare I have used the Yukon, SEAK, Storm tight, Cold front, Storm front, Cloud Burst, Posiden, and several other non-hunting brands.

Is it worth the money... Thats a question only the individual can answer.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The Takur is the best rain gear I've ever used and I hate the word "Best". It actually feels breathable, sounds funny to say that about rain gear. Hasn't leaked and is way more durable than it feels.

And to compare I have used the Yukon, SEAK, Storm tight, Cold front, Storm front, Cloud Burst, Posiden, and several other non-hunting brands.

It better be the best for the price they are asking. That Kryptek altitude stuff is awesome for sure, just a bit out of my price range.

Sadler

WKR

I’m just looking forward to a podcast about it in the near future.....

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
Ryan - you’re killing us. Look forward to the review even if that means I’ve got to go make room in my closet for more gear....😯

OP
M

MtnMuley

WKR
Well, I bit the bullet. Tried a used set on a week ago and it was damn nice. Don't ever plan on buying another set of this type of rain gear for as much as I will use it.

Benjaminwill80

Lil-Rokslider

Do you think the Takur line could replace your normal soft shell kit? Basically skip the Bora pants/jacket and just use the Takur. Thanks.

North

FNG
Do you think the Takur line could replace your normal soft shell kit? Basically skip the Bora pants/jacket and just use the Takur. Thanks.

Definitely! I just wore my Takur jacket and gaiters rain or shine for 15+ days (Takur pants only on heavy rain days). Altitude’s Bora soft shell line is actually the same material as the rain gear, it’s just not seam taped and therefore not considered 100% waterproof.
If I had to do it again I might go with the Takur jacket and the Bora pant, since the Bora stuff is damn near waterproof. More pockets on the Bora and no full length zippers so probably lighter, but not as easy to take on and off as needed if wanting to use as a layering piece.

pew

Lil-Rokslider
Are there listed weights for these someplace?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pew

Lil-Rokslider
From what I understand it is 24 ounces, someone did a review of their complete system on here....

Ok, thanks!

Not sure why they don’t post...esp at 24 oz for both, that light for jacket and pants seems like it would be a pretty big selling point!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Pants Large
b742ff4006b28a0e7a187c41d8ac51ab.jpg

Jacket Large
7929c0c003426d913cb430c4f4117ec8.jpg

This is my third year wearing this rain gear. Still the best breathable rain gear I’ve used. The jacket has taken an absolute beating in the brush no tears yet. I don’t wear the pants very much but they have seen some shit days, no tears either. On the flip side I tore the hell out of their gaiters the first trip out. The material feels very similar... crazy.

Last edited:

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
Ryan - I’m a big fan of kryptek Dalibor pants or Sitka timberline depending on weather and temperatures. I pair with either a Dalibor jacket or jetstream jacket. But I’m thinking of replacing both with the Bora pants and jacket given your comments on breahtability and then adding the takur jacket and pants. Do you think the bora can replace the items above?