KUIU Axis Hybrid Pants - Late Season Whitetail

PorkrollEgg&Cheese

Lil-Rokslider
Had a question about the warmth of kuiu axis hybrid pants. Would these be suitable for late season stationary whitetail hunting? Let's say temps from 20-40. I have a fanatic jacket that covers me up top but im not sure i want a bib. I hike in a fair distance and am already packing the jacket in so was looking for a slightly more breathable pant and the axis hybrid caught my attention. Any thoughts on pairing this with the furnace long johns for a late season sit? Any advice or other options would be great. Thanks.

ILIKEGEAR

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
The Axis Hybrid line is one of our favorite offerings from KUIU. Those pants are my go-to out west and any time I'm hiking around in snow or wet conditions. That being said, I don't wear them stationary whitetail hunting here in Missouri. At 40 degrees you will be fine with the Axis pant and heavy bottom layer, especially walking in. At 20 degrees and below when you stop, it will get cold. For that reason - I wear the Sitka Stratus pant for my stationary whitetail. They are much warmer and hiking a few miles in them isn't terrible. They aren't water resistant like the Axis pant though. If wet, I'd recommend KUIUs boot gaiters as well.

We do a 20 Seat Raffle + Review on Pants and the KUIU Axis and Sitka Stratus are some of the top chosen by our winners. Both are grant pants - it just depends on the situation you'll be in. I own and love both.

Seeknelk

WKR
I'd buy some mid weight surplus wool pants and a puffy pants like the Skre ptarmigans. Love them. 850 down. Just don't ever expect to hike in them.

danwolf

FNG
Yeah I wore those from 20-40 degree temps with the kuiu zip off fleece pants. Plenty warm stand or still hunting for me.

I wear the Talus, and if sitting in a stand wear the Kuiu down pants underneath. I would think the Axis would be cold without some layering.

southLA

WKR
Axis pants are awesome. Used them down to the teens last year in CO. Did get a little warm some days mid-day though.

OP
PorkrollEgg&Cheese

PorkrollEgg&Cheese

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all of the replies. Definitely some good things to consider. Packing a pair of lightweight puffy pants in seems like another option. My only concern with that would be the noise. I have a pair of first lite corrugate foundrys and love them for 40-70. Would a puffy be better to wear over or under the corrugate foundrys?

mwill28

Lil-Rokslider
Late to the party but I wore this exact combo last season in the late season (in the 20s in the morning). Kept me warm even when sitting for a while. Depends a lot on what other layers you have on top too, I think.

ive used the Axis pants last 2 seasons late winter. if stationary for hours you may need layers with temps in the 20-s. i could feel the waterproof panels transfer the cold. a bit clamy feeling.especially moving around some then stopping to sit. if you layer under thermals and or use puffy pants it would be the ticket. as a stand alone cold weather pant for sitting hours i would look at something else.