KUIU Backpacks

Buddy had a KUIU backpack and hated it. The review on KUIU at 5 Stars across the board. Looking to use fo 7-10 Elk trips. Can anyone weigh in on the quality and ability to carry heavy loads?

cmahoney

WKR
The 6000 ultra I had was a nice pack for scouting and hunting but not carrying heavy loads. I think 60 pounds is reasonably comfortable. I use an EXO now and have packed out two animals with it. The EXO carries 100 plus pounds very comfortably and is on another level compared to the KUIU. Well worth the extra money in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMC

Lil-Rokslider
I used an icon pro 3200 for an early season Colorado archery hunt and thought it was great. Trained with 50 lbs of sand before the trip with no issues. I'm 5'-7" and used the reg frame height (22") and had plenty of lift to relieve my shoulders. I should have used a 5200 sized bag for the hike in with all my gear and food but it worked! In day hunt mode it was perfect.

CCH

WKR
My friend had one, but got rid of it after packing meat. He runs a Stone Glacier now which he greatly prefers.

Skull10

WKR
I've had the Kuiu, Exo and now I have the Kifaru. The Kuiu Icon pro was nice for organization with the built in pockets. It worked well for loads up to say 50 lbs. It got real uncomfortable with weights in excess of 70 lbs. I much prefer the Kifaru it handles heavy weight like a champ. I am not a Kuiu hater, I have all their cloths, I just don't think their packs are suited for heavy loads.

Jawbone

FNG
I’ve been looking at the venture 2300 for day hunting deer and elk. From the reviews it seems good for the hunt but not so much for packing out. I would be returning to camp daily so packing out would be a concern.

Biggest question is how the frame will fit you. I’ve had kuiu then went to EXO for two years then SG then kuiu then SG and now back to kuiu and I can honestly say the kuiu fits me the best and carries weight the best for me. I’ve packed multiple animals every year with each pack. I don’t weigh all my loads I just pack what needs to be packed to get out and I don’t like second trips so if there are at least two of us and not too much uphill an elk is coming out in one trip.

It really comes down to fit. EXO and SG krux are too straight for me and like to slide down so I really have to cinch the waist belt and run my shoulder straps with more weight. 2013 kuiu and earlier were not on the same level as the current frame. The ultra suspension is great for light daypack type loads but the pro belt and Apex suspension are made for packing.

7-10 days I’d go at least a 5200 maybe more

Jawbone

FNG
I wish we had a local shop that sold them so I could try them on. I’ve never really carried a pack so this is all new to me, I figure if I move out west I need to start learning how to hunt out west.

eamyrick

WKR
I’ve carried a 3200 for 10 days in the mountain with 30-35lbs and loved it. Trained with around 50. Nothing heavier yet.

Jawbone

FNG
That would be perfect for a day pack! I do wonder how it would hold under a heavy load? If looked at mystery ranch as well. Th
I’ve carried a 3200 for 10 days in the mountain with 30-35lbs and loved it. Trained with around 50. Nothing heavier yet.
ybay would be perfect for my day pack, I wonder how it would hold up packing out an elk? Ian looking the mystry ranch pop up series as well.

Jawbone

FNG
That would be perfect for a day pack! I do wonder how it would hold under a heavy load? If looked at mystery ranch as well. Th

Yeah that would be perfect for my day pack, I wonder how it would hold up packing out an elk? Ian looking the mystry ranch pop up series as well.

Overwire

FNG
Packs tend to be a pretty personal thing. If you can swing it, the best thing to do is order each of the packs you are interested in, try them out side by side with normal and max weight around the house/neighborhood and return the one(s) that don't make the cut for you. All the quality pack makers have solid return policies. You will be out some money for shipping but it's worth it IMO.

Regarding KUIU I have tried the ICON Pro side-by-side with the first gen EXO and a Stone Glacier Krux walking around the block with weights of 50lbs and 100+lbs. I thought it was a good pack and carried 100+ pounds the best of those 3 for me due to fit and rigidity of the frame (the SG was close and was a little better at 50lbs and below, both the KUIU and SG blew the EXO away at every load, FOR ME).

I felt like the KUIU has too much organization. It compresses down decent but the compression system is not as good as other packs I've tried (EXO, SG, Seek Outside). The load shelf system isn't as nice as the ones on the other packs either but I am in the camp of a load shelf not being a necessity. Hardware and buckles are smaller than the competition which made me concerned about durability, though I cant say whether it is a problem because I ended up going with the Stone Glacier and never used the KUIU in the field. I also have 1 season now under a Seek Outside pack and it is superb, definitely my favorite for what it's worth.

Blakes

FNG
I have the Icon Pro with the 1850 and 7200 bags. I only use the 7200 bag when I go backpacking with the wife. I use it to carry 50-60# and it works great.
I pack llamas so don't usually have to pack meat but last years bull fell in a hell-hole and the only way to get it to the trail where I could use the llamas was to pack it on my back. After that experience I am in the market for a higher end pack! With a full load of meat and antlers it was not comfortable! I will be looking for a Kifaru now...

Something to ponder.

First, A Kifaru has no equal in this department according to most. And, in my experience, I agree. It is truly the best pack I've ever worn. It carries light loads well, heavy loads as well as possible, and is very reliable. I'm not going to throw numbers out there like coffee house talk. I weigh loads and, I've had well over a hundred weighed pounds in my Kifaru hunter frame. My legs hurt. But, not my body, shoulders, neck, or lower back.

Second, I own a Kuiu as well. The most I've had in a Kuiu was on a 22 inch frame. It weighed 83 pounds. It was not uncomfortable giving it was 83 pounds. It wasn't as comfortable as it would have been in my Kifaru's but, and this is a big but, it did its job very well. I have since switched to a 24 inch Kuiu frame. I am certain the results would still be the same in which was more comfortable. But, I know that gap would shrink with the taller frame. Because I had the load liters engaged hard enough to really put a lot of pressure across my shoulders and chest. Something the taller frame would negate somewhat due to a greater lifter angle.

Here is the reality of the Kuiu system. There is not a stronger, more rigid frame system made then the Kuiu. To the point if it were as wide as the Kifaru's, it would truly hamper your agility when wearing it. It simply doesn't need to be that wide due to its strength. Its lumbar pad is the REAL deal. It holds as good as any I have ever worn and it doesn't take cinching your belt so tight that you can't bend over to get it to hold. The way it fits, it puts the majority of the weight right on your hips and lumbar area. Which is good because the shoulder straps are more narrow and would eat at you when you have to really cinch them down, if the pack didn't stay put. It is light, not over built in any way and, is streamlined by design. They engineered it perfectly for what it is. And, I have had zero reliability issues with either of the frames I've owned.

The Kifaru's really doesn't need critique. They are pretty much perfect. I can't find anything I would have done differently on the new version of the lite frame except, put a strap to pick the frame up with. I find myself grabbing that arrow stay that stabilizes the frame. I hope I keep on catching that habit before I yank a heavy load up and break it. I'll manage.

The difference's I think most people experience between the comfort level is the belt, the shoulder straps, and the contour of the frame between the two. Nothing compares to the Kifaru belt. Period. The thing you gotta remember too is the Kifaru was built to carry a tank and last the course. Its going to be heavier, a touch more bulky, and do its intended job of doing so better then the kuiu frame meant to offer you the weight savings, the streamlined profile, while having the ability to carry your meat out. Albeit with a little trade off of comfort. The thing you gotta decide is what is the best compromise for you.

Just know all the talk about 100 plus pound loads is not the norm for you or anyone else. Most of the time you are going to be carrying far less while hunting. And, when it becomes time to pack meat, both will get it done acceptably if you can. Good luck and God Bless

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
All great points above, but another thing to take into mind is really learn how to properly fit a pack, preferably have someone in the know help you out. I take a lot of backpack reviews on the Internet with a grain of salt, especially when I see photos of people wearing their packs, a picture tells a thousand words of why they hated that pack or not.

I’ve tried Kifaru, Stone Glacier and Kuiu, ended up with the Kuiu. I’m a slender frame and the Kifaru is just too bulky of a pack for me, Stone Glacier I liked the most but when I put 80 pounds into it, it just wasn’t comfortable for me as I have a curved back and their XCurve frame just wouldn’t conform to my contours. Really wished it did. Finally tried the Kuiu and it all worked fine for me. Have carried 80 pounds comfortably and it’s all around a comfy pack. A bit too much organization for me but that’s not a big bother.

But I’ll echo what others have said. Try on all the packs you can, preferably with your equipment if possible, and let your body pick the pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went from KUIU to MR to Kifaru. I liked all of them and would use any of them again. For me, the belt of the Kifaru and how it handles heavy loads trumps everything else.

jmav58

WKR
I've had Kuiu, Exo, SG and now Kifaru Nomad II. The Kuiu was great for organizing with all the pockets, but it was squeaky like coloyooper mentioned. I couldn't get it to quiet down at all. I prefer the Kifaru now, but SG is a close second.