KUIU Backpacks

Currently rocking an icon hip belt and the apex shoulder straps. Hands down the apex straps changed this system for me and I’ve hauled 80lbs training with it with no issues if it’s adjusted properly.

Ultra 2200 and 4000 packs work well for my needs. No issues with durability swapping from the icon pro bags to the ultra series.

Sorry slinger

Lil-Rokslider
I run kuiu. But check out initial ascent. Checked them out this weekend at a trade show I was amazed and had I not just bought another kuiu I would have bought an IA there at the show. My buddy is now selling his kuiu because he bought an IA 4K yesterday

I have the Icon Pro 5200 and really like it. I have never had an issue with is squeaking and have packed out one elk. The horseshoe zipper is probably the best thing about the whole pack. It changes how you are able to pack all your gear.

Holtc12

FNG
I’ve always worried about the load lifters with the buckles on Kuiu I run a SG and have zero complaints packs weight like a champ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B-ski

FNG
Good stuff here. I started with a Kifaru, but it didn't fit my body frame well. I have a slender build, and it was too bulky. I have sinced picked up a Kuiu Icon Pro 5200. I haven't had it on a hunt yet, but testing it out and such it fills like a winner!

lks2

FNG
I have two icon pro frames with an assortment of ultra bags. I will say that they carry weight much better than people say (but still don't carry it quite as well as kifaru,SG, MR imo).

LaHunter

WKR
I have two icon pro frames with an assortment of ultra bags. I will say that they carry weight much better than people say (but still don't carry it quite as well as kifaru,SG, MR imo).

Is this based on your first hand experience with all of these pack systems?

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I've had the Kuiu, Exo and now I have the Kifaru. The Kuiu Icon pro was nice for organization with the built in pockets. It worked well for loads up to say 50 lbs. It got real uncomfortable with weights in excess of 70 lbs. I much prefer the Kifaru it handles heavy weight like a champ. I am not a Kuiu hater, I have all their cloths, I just don't think their packs are suited for heavy loads.

I can't imagine any bag hauling in excess of 70 lbs. and not feeling uncomfortable but I believe Kuiu can handle it if properly fitted.

I am a big guy and run a 3200 Icon Pro with an Apex shoulder strap and packed out a huge 4x5, very mature bull last year and had no problem whatsoever. It is important to note that you must get the pack adjusted properly on your shoulders & back for it work properly and fit ok. I suffered a incident last summer when training and was carrying the backpack improperly with about 40 lbs. or so that caused an injury to my back. Cost me over a month and half of training. But I had no trouble in hauling 60+ lbs. of boned-out elk quarters through 6 inches of melting snow up and down the mountains of Colorado with a smile on my face and leg cramps in my hamstrings that night.

diyhntr

FNG
I run a Kuiu 7200. I’ve had the dreaded squeak and used duct tape on mine. I am slender and have a curved back. I use the lumbar pad in my belt and feel it’s what makes the difference for me. Without it, the pack seems to pull back on my shoulders. With it and the tall frame I have good stability and plenty of lift. I’ve hauled elk meat, bear meat and a bear hide along with plenty of dumb bells while training. My buddy runs a 5200 and last year was trying to pack elk meat while his pack was not adjusted correctly. Needless to say he was a hurtin unit. After removing the pack and adjusting it correctly he had no issues packing out. Packs, like boots, are not one size fits all.

With the icon pro suspension and either an 1850 bag or a ultra 3000 bag I’ve hauled out 4 elk. There is usually 3 of us and we make it out in one trip so I would estimate weight at around 70 pounds. I have no complaints.

lks2

FNG
Is this based on your first hand experience with all of these pack systems?
I've packed meat with a stone glacier, wore a borrowed kifaru (didn't fill the tag so no meat) and wore a mystery ranch made fire pack but not their hunting packs. That's my experience of actually wearing them. I have noticed when I am in a group of guys packing out an elk with same weight packs , roughly same fitness level, the guys with the big three don't seem to have as much discomfort as the rest of the group. This may be completely anecdotal but it seems to hold true regardless of the personalities involved. That being said the difference isn't so dramatic that i'm willing to abandon kuiu and change systems. I'd rather deal with a little discomfort and spend the money somewhere else. If i where starting over however, I would likely go a different direction. Hopefully this explains if better.

Had a older Kuiu icon pro 7200 did some pretty decent hauling with it sold it and ended up with a new 7200 but put on the Apex shoulder straps looking forward to trying those and Im considering switching the bag out to a ultra bag 5500 or 7000 loose some weight .