Winter Hat Help

TX_Diver

WKR
Looking for some thoughts on a hat for winter hunts (and use at home as we're outside quite a bit through winter with the animals). Say a temp range of 0-30. If it's below zero I'm just grabbing the trapper hat and not worrying about a brim. Mix of active and inactive which makes selection a bit harder.

Would like it to have a brim and also ear flaps that keep your ears warm.

Some stuff I've tried:
-I've got beanies, and occasionally wear them over a normal ball cap, but that's a little clunky.
-I also have a rabbit lined trapper hat that is extremely warm, but it doesn't have a brim, and the ear flaps extend all the way down my face which makes it hard to anchor when drawing a bow.
-I got my wife an outdoor research yukon cap last year, and it's not bad, but the ear flaps aren't tight to the head so after 15-20 min your ears are cold.

I'm aware of the stormy kromer hats, but it appears the ear band doesn't cover the bottom of your ears?

What else is out there that I'm not considering?

Thanks!!

yfarm

WKR
Rancher version of the Kromer has extended earflaps and fully covers your ears. Have found ordering one size above your hat size also helps with the fit.
As I posted on another thread, I don’t like earflaps tight to my head which muffles hearing. Most baklavas and the like are tight. I wear a regular ballcap and wear a Burton snowboard hood sized to fit over a helmet, keeps my neck warm, allows me to have normal hearing and is not restrictive like a hood on a jacket. Pull it back in a second and its like a scarf around your neck. Made an oversized fleece beanie to fit over a ball cap which also works but like the hood better.

Last edited:

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
The rancher version of the stormy kromer and size up minimum one measured hat size. It's what I use when in Minnesota and Wyoming in the Fall.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
The rancher version of the stormy kromer and size up minimum one measured hat size. It's what I use when in Minnesota and Wyoming in the Fall.

That does look a little better. Does the band/flaps stay pretty snug to your ears? Or do they flap around quite a bit? If they stay tight to the ears I may give one a try.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I have small ears and the rancher version pulls down and fully covers them. Zero issues with flap on mine. If you have very large ears you may have the bottoms of them exposed, not sure.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
Stormy Kromer rancher showed up today.

Wish they'd put a full size brim on it... Little (lot) more hipster vibes than I'd prefer lol. My wife is convinced it's possibly the most hideous hat out there... :(

It's mid 20s today with a light breeze. The head/ear band definitely seemed to work better than the OR Yukon hat on a quick trip outside to test it out though!

I ordered 1/8 up and it's still a hair snug at the front so I may need to exchange it though. Gonna mess with the cord tomorrow and then decide.

MGFARM

FNG
I like the first light brimmed merino beanie. It warm and I can flip it up tp expose the ears or I can take completely off and shove it in my pocket.

Hondo

WKR
An alternative to the Stormy Kromer Rancher is the Wyoming Traders Yukon & McKenzie hats. Warmer, cheaper, better ear coverage and the fit actually matches the size unlike the SK. I use them both, but when it is really cold I go with the Wyoming Traders.

2531usmc

WKR
I have a filson double mackinaw. It will go to the grave with me. When the flaps are engaged it's like a climate change. They're expensive because they're worth it.
Is filson quality now at the same level it was five years ago?

You won’t win a single fashion contest and will take occasional abuse from the millennial set but, the Crown railroad hat is very functional and warm! It’s what the stormy kromer wants to be when it grows up!!!

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
It may be ugly but so far so good with the rancher. Just wish it had a full size brim on it.

IMG_1843.jpeg