KUIU COMPLETES ROCKY MOUNTAIN BIGHORN SHEEP TRANSPLANT

Edited to add video

February 26, 2020

Performance hunting gear company KUIU announced the completion of their historic transplant of Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep. KUIU and its customers purchased, captured, and transplanted 55 sheep from the Rocky Boy’s Indian Reservation-Chippewa Cree Tribe, located in Montana, to Antelope Island, Utah and to the Mandan, Hidatsa, Arikara Nation in North Dakota. The transplants took place from January 28-30th, 2020.

“Hunting and hands-on conservation are inseparable,” said Brendan Burns, who spearheaded the transplant and serves as KUIU’s Conservation Director. “We have focused our conservation goals as a company on tangible projects that have a direct impact on creating future hunting opportunities. With the help of 16 incredible customers and 34 KUIU volunteers, we were able to facilitate the reintroduction of disease-free Bighorn Sheep back to Antelope Island and establish two herds missing from the Badlands of North Dakota.”

In the winter of 2018, the Antelope Island Bighorn Sheep herd suffered a catastrophic, pneumonia-related die-off. The two release sites in North Dakota have been void of Bighorns for more than a century. Re-establishing sheep in these locations will create source herds for future transplants and provide hunting opportunities. With the financial help of KUIU customers and KUIU’s matched contributions, these projects were 100% privately funded and gifted to the receiving organizations.

“This is the first wildlife conservation project of its kind that was funded entirely through the private sector,” says Travis Jenson, President of the Utah Wild Sheep Foundation. “KUIU and KUIU’s customer’s financial support of this project sets a new standard in the hunting and outdoor industry with respect to direct private funding of wildlife conservation projects.”

This unique opportunity for a simultaneous transplant was made possible through the proactive management of the Rocky Boy’s established sheep herd by the Chippewa Cree Fish and Game Department. After their spring sheep counts from the last two years showed that the population was over objective, KUIU was able to purchase the excess 55 sheep and go to work finding suitable recipients. The three release sites were chosen by working directly with Travis Jenson, Jace Taylor with the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources, and Brett Wiedmann with the North Dakota Department of Game and Fish. The sites were chosen for their iconic habitat and immediate readiness for translocation.

“The generosity of KUIU and its customers in providing North Dakota 30 Bighorn Sheep and funding the entire project made this capture and translocation a unique and gratifying experience.” said Wiedmann. “This project was a great example of how private and public organizations can work together to benefit wildlife.”

These Bighorn Sheep transplants marked the launch of KUIU’s Conservation Direct initiative.

Last edited:
Wow, that is a wonderful project, especially for a private company to put that kind of thing together. And it is reassuring, for environmental impact and unintended outcomes, that it is re-introducing herds to areas where they existed previously.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I had no idea it was an option too buy extrees off of the Rocky Boy Reservation for transplant. Very cool!

Ya, especially since the "states" and the people of those states supposedly own all the wildlife within the borders of said state. I didn't think that what land they were on mattered in that equation. So potentially we could have Fed, State, and private animals in every state if this is how they did it.

Lowndes

FNG
Ya, especially since the "states" and the people of those states supposedly own all the wildlife within the borders of said state. I didn't think that what land they were on mattered in that equation. So potentially we could have Fed, State, and private animals in every state if this is how they did it.

I believe these came from an Indian reservation so subject to a different management scheme.

Really cool project and kudos to Kuiu for putting it together.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I believe these came from an Indian reservation so subject to a different management scheme.

Well of course it's a different management scheme, but animals don't know boundaries and Indian Reservations don't have high fences. A private ranch could be considered a different management scheme, but they are still the state's animals.

Lowndes

FNG
Well of course it's a different management scheme, but animals don't know boundaries and Indian Reservations don't have high fences. A private ranch could be considered a different management scheme, but they are still the state's animals.

Not sure that is correct. I think Indian Reservations are Sovereign and only subject to Federal authority and not State oversight. So if an animal walks onto tribal land it would be similar to it walking from Montana to Idaho. A states fish and game regulations are not applicable to a sovereign Indian reservations. Only that reservations game laws are.

ODB

WKR
Wait...didn’t they try to release some bighorn on Antelope island a long time ago and it didn’t work??? Lemme do some searching...

it was elk in 1993 - carry on!!

Bobbyboe

WKR
I have some Kuiu clothing. Makes me want to support the company more now. Good for them.

Reactions: WCS
I'll probably never hunt sheep but it's cool to see kuiu put forth the effort to make something like this happen. good job

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I'm happy to support a company that directs some of its resources into conservation, species reintroduction, and hunting-related initiatives.

Thanks KUIU

Good luck with that agruement.

Reservation is essentially a foreign embassy,