Kuiu durability

TNsavageman

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my Kuiu stuff.
The Kenai jacket (has already been stated) is the only price that seems fragile to me but it’s very comfortable and it’s gets used often.
The kutana pants are probably my favorite pants that I have ever had.
I have a pair of the zip off base layer bottoms that I bought on sale thinking I would give them a try… I love them. I wore them on my sheep hunt to sleep in and started off with them on each morning until it warmed up and then they slip right off (without taking your boots off) and back into the pack.
Sorry for the long read, but yes, I’ve been very happy with all of the items I’ve purchased.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
Been a lurker for a while and figured I should make an account. People who own lots of kuiu - how’s the durability? I recently purchased a Kenai hooded jacket, and while it’s certainly lightweight and warm, I’ve been frankly unimpressed with the durability. After extremely light usage (wearing around town a few times and a light day hike) there is an unacceptable amount of pilling. Before I get too heavily invested into a Kuiu system, I’d like to know if this is just specific to the Kenai jacket or is a recurring problem. If the latter is the case - what are some alternate recommendations?
All outdoor clothing is made in the same 5 factories in east asia. Anyone saying one is significantly better or worse than the other has an agenda. Type of material, fabric weight, and fit should dictate your choice.

redchinviking

Lil-Rokslider
Kuiu merino is crap. Although I haven’t tried their new line. For merino for sure go First Lite if you’re looking for durable. I have a few pieces over 10 years old. I like the kuiu pants but it’s all about what material/model. Durability has been eh ok. Par for the course. Overall durability has been better with First Lite but I still use both for different types of hunts. Fit and finish kuiu wins.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t own the Kenai so I can’t comment on that, but I do have a lot of Kuiu gear and have had zero issues with durability on any of it. My only issue is having to order everything online, so it may take multiple tries to get the right size on something. Other than that, no issues.

SwiftShot

WKR
I have a ton of gear from everyone. I love my KUIU Guide jacket and pants. I hunt the PNW right on the coast. Blackberry nightmare up here. I can push through them easy with it on. A few nicks but I have been running it for 8 years plus no problems. I have needed to reapply water treatment but that is normal.

I have 2 of their shirts I love the Gala I think. I use it weekly as I outdoor and hike, fish ect. Great shirt keeps the sun off my white butt and keeps me cool at the same time. The attack pants, not for me. I use solud earthtones for everything now so I use cheap Costco Bass something pants. They are like a stretch hikers. For 15 bucks they are perfect.

One piece of advice, go earth tone solid colors. The animals dont notice the difference, plus then you can wear the nice gear year around.

HUNTMO-06

FNG
After much thought and research, I bought the Kuiu guide pants last November. Wore them a handful of times- easy use. No hard hunting. Waist button broke loose behind the belt- as I was headed out of the house for a turkey hunt this year. I’m a skinny guy so I wasn’t even pushing the waistband hard against the button.
Shot Kuiu a warranty claim email and was told to mail them in (on my dime) and they will repair it. Left me high and dry 1st week of turkey season. Hell of a warranty for $179.00 retail pants.
Thank god my Sitka Traverse pants were in full operating order and have carried me thru the remaining turkey season here in Missouri.
If you are considering Kuiu, don’t bother.
If you value your money, don’t give it to them.
It’s a shame because I was wanting to outfit my youth in Kuiu from the recent sale. Oh well. Sitka all the way.

Attachments

• IMG_8580.jpeg
    IMG_8580.jpeg
    257.9 KB · Views: 32

schmalzy

WKR
Kuiu merino is crap. Although I haven’t tried their new line. For merino for sure go First Lite if you’re looking for durable. I have a few pieces over 10 years old. I like the kuiu pants but it’s all about what material/model. Durability has been eh ok. Par for the course. Overall durability has been better with First Lite but I still use both for different types of hunts. Fit and finish kuiu wins.

The new lighter stuff (110 or 120?) is considerably better than old stuff. I have three of the ls shirts and wear them frequently. Would like to get more. Perfect baselayer for all but extremely high output activities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
Been a lurker for a while and figured I should make an account. People who own lots of kuiu - how’s the durability? I recently purchased a Kenai hooded jacket, and while it’s certainly lightweight and warm, I’ve been frankly unimpressed with the durability. After extremely light usage (wearing around town a few times and a light day hike) there is an unacceptable amount of pilling. Before I get too heavily invested into a Kuiu system, I’d like to know if this is just specific to the Kenai jacket or is a recurring problem. If the latter is the case - what are some alternate recommendations?
There will definitely be durability issues with most ultralight gear. I did get a small tear on backside of my Tiburon pants from just sitting while glassing last season. Just keep in mind Kuiu does have specific items for each application depending on your hunting style. The Tiburon pants are probably one of the best as far as breathability, but it will definitely lack in the durability area. On the other hand I did have an issue with the zipper on my peloton 118 bottom base layer which was replaced no questions asked.

Plowboy85

Lil-Rokslider
I have multiple pieces of Sitka and Kuiu, I like each for various reasons. I love the attacks and katanas. Like other have said the merino are just lacking. I think Kuiu is a good pick of gear but I strongly believe the quality control of Sitka is far better than first lite or Kuiu. I have experienced a few sizing issues with Kuiu when I buy two colors and they fit differently and small issues like such but they have always made it right.

MattB

WKR
I have been a Kuiu user since the company started (knew the founder from his time at Sitka) and still have some of their pieces that were sewn in Canada. Their gear may be a bit lighter and less durable than Sitka or some of the other competitors, but overall I have been pretty impressed with the durability of most pieces. I am not a guy who spends 100 days a year in the field, so my stuff doesn't get a ton of use.

I've only had to use their warranty once (had a snap fail on a pair of gaiters) and it was as simple as can be - sent them a picture of the damage and they put a free pair in the mail to me the next day.

Last edited:

Poser

WKR
I’ve definitely worn out some Kuiu clothing with hard use. I definitely have spent some money having Kuiu gear repaired at a sewing shop. But that goes for all of my clothes that gets used extensively.

AKDoc

WKR
I have been a long-time KUIU customer...regarding durability, nothing but good experiences for me.

As just one example of many, I bought the Yukon rain-gear (jacket and pants) when first introduced a number of years ago. They do show the wear of many years of hard use (a couple of patches and some fading), but absolutely still my primary go-to rain gear when not going light-wt. The Yukon rain-gear never fails to keep me dry in challenging Alaska wx. A few years ago I bought the Axis jacket and pants when they first rolled-out, and they quickly became part of my fall starting line-up...and durable thus far.

Side-note: I started buying/using KUIU gear when Jason first left Sitka, back when it was "Made in North America". Unfortunately, those days didn't last as long as I would have liked to see. Nonetheless, I stayed with KUIU over the years because it has been reliable gear, always innovating, and I still wear it today because it has been durable. That said, I made a personal recommitment a couple years ago...a day late and a dollar short...to do my very best to buy local made or at the very least not made in ***** (you know where).

uthuntr

FNG
Most of my gear is KUIU and I am completely sold on their stuff. They run good deals every so often and you're not finding better clothes for most applications. I have a lot of favorite pieces but my most versatile and irreplaceable are the peloton 97, strongfleece 260, and attack pants. There is give and take. The peloton 97 is amazing as a mid and light outer layer but you've got to be careful as the slightest encounter of branches or brush will noticeably affect it. But the strongfleece 260 and attack pants, in my experience, have been bombproof so far. I chalk that up to bushwacking not being what the 97 is designed for vs. as a reflection of KUIU's durability as a company.

Not sure what the circumstances were behind the disappointment with the Kenai, but I wouldn't let it deter you from other pieces in the KUIU lineup.

Hey, new here too. I have spent the last few years amassing a ton of Kuiu. No issues that I can think of on durability.

My first was the now extinct Kutana soft shell. No problem in brushy woods the last bunch of years. Also the axis hybrid pants were in my second order soon after. Good amount of use and no issues with snags, pilling or any zippers.

I generally have all solids for dual purpose and they get used a lot. Have the Kutana rain jacket and its bulletproof after 2 years of daily winter wear, 2 hunting seasons and in the truck for rain all the time. All my merino is in great shape despite all year use on a construction site. Peloton 240 and two pair of attacks are in that mix too, all good.

My son has worn his Pro merino 200 at least 3 times a week since he got it for Christmas of '20. Still looks great despite having been washed twice a week since.

uhcoog1

FNG
The hot-weather hunting gear has done well for me, albeit I did snag and tear one pant stepping over a log - it caught on a sharp branch stub. The hole has not gotten bigger. I'm pleased with the quality.

slifer

FNG
I have abused a pair of the guide pants for years now and they're holding up fine.

I’ve had the glued seams on the pit zips come apart. Was going to send in but lost the jacket somewhere in Wyoming’s backcountry.

Lsorum13

FNG
I have had good luck with the Kuiu clothing that I have had. The only issue I had was with the puffy coat I bought. It seemed like the material was thinner and tore easier than I had hoped for.

wyogoat

WKR
I’m Kuiu all the way and have been since the start. Followed Jason over as a friend of a friend and never had an issue at all. All clothes to the pack is Kuiu and average 20 plus days archery elk hunting and my pants look like new except some pine tar maybe…
I have a solid color Kenai jacket that I bought in maybe 13 or 14 that shows some piling but I wore it as my cold weather jacket for SWAT and it’s only where the Velcro from the heavy vest rubbed which is understandable. Everything else tip top and three tubs of stuff with never a warranty issue so I’ve never tested that.
With all that said, Sitka is amazing. SG is amazing. FL is amazing. We are lucky to live in the world we do for quality stuff to take us into the mountains and stay there.

Brusso89

FNG
I only own a few first lite items and a handful of kuiu items but the kuiu has been great in the durability department for me. I’m in AZ and Kutana pants have taken a beating and look great. The few first lite items I have look like they have been hunting in AZ aka not holding up as well.