KUIU - Help us Design our Super Down Sleeping Bag

Rizzy

WKR
I am looking forward to seeing the specs on the weight and cost as this is an important ratio, at least for me. I would strongly encourage some kind of neck baffle, it makes a big difference.

I would like to see some experimentation on a hybrid bag. Synthetic on the bottom and down on the top. As already mentioned down doesn't work good on the bottom of a bag. A lot of the lighter weight sleeping pads have a marginal R value and depend on the insulation of the bag to work in cold weather. I like the Big A sleeve design, but it takes a hefty pad to work in cold weather with the bottomless bags. I have the Dual-core and it still doesn't cut it, for me at least.

A lot of people get cold feet, increase the insulation in that area.

A sleeve for a pillow would be a great idea!

We appreciate all of your comments and support. The final design of the bag has not been determined. Prototype bags have been built for testing, use and design review and we are having additional bags built for more testing, use and design review. Changes are still being made. There was a question about vertical baffling. Gates are used inside the baffle to stop the down from moving. Quilts are not currently being tested, but that doesn’t mean we are not considering them. "Incredibly light", we don't have a weight, but they will be light. Unfortunately we don't have a release date or cost.

As for the off topic comment about the Binocular Harness, when used properly, it works incredibly well with virtually no movement. There is no elastic in our Binocular System. The advantage of eliminating the elastic is that even with the heaviest binoculars you can run without binocular bounce or crawl without the binoculars sagging away from your body.

Patrick, let me know if you could use someone to test out a prototype. I'll be doing a 10 day hunt near treeline in CO this fall, last two weeks of Sept. I use a 0 degree bag for this. Give me a hollar.
~JD

Lawnboi

WKR
The down bag market has a lot of big competitors! Id also like to see a synthetic version.

Now if KUIU was to make a bivy out of their dermizax material, that is UL.... they would have something almost nobody else does. A good breathable bivy! someones got to compete with Integral designs on the bivy side! Just my opinion though.

Ozz08

WKR
I totally agree with you lawnboi. As far as I'm concerned there is already plenty of awesome ultralight down bags or quilts to choose from. The superdown bag sounds cool but what will the price point be? $600? A synthetic bag line would be a better idea IMO. Kifaru seems to be the only company with a good UL and super packable synthetic bag. But what I would really like to see is kifaru and/or kuiu jump into the ultralight bivy market.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
This is my opinion.
1: 30*, 15* and 0* should be available. (and true to the rating)
2: Forget the sleeve and use straps just like the E.E. quilt. (If you use a sleeve you're saving practically no weight.)
3: Put a draw string closure in the bottom so you can open it for venting.
4: Weight for a reg. length should be UNDER 16oz, 32oz and 40oz respectively.
5: A water proof shell option (slightly more weight)
6: A long version for sure.
7: Price should be $350.00, $375.00 and $400.00 at the MOST.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd prefer a solid bottom, not sure a drawstring would cinch tight enough to keep out the drafts. ?? The would also add a few ounces I am guessing. ??
As for price, the cheaper the better. I am looking for a 0* bag and its need to be competitive with the Kifaru 0* bag at 2lbs 12ozs and $337. I'm just not sure I've bought into this "dry-down" thing yet.....

frans

Lil-Rokslider
I see you asking about size and temp ratings. I am gonna hope it will come in a reg and long version. Along with at least two degree levels. A zero and a 20 at least? I will also add every model should be offered it a regular and wide cut.

Yes, yes, yes on the wide cut. I'm a small guy, but I like some room to move around!

Frans

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I'd prefer a solid bottom, not sure a drawstring would cinch tight enough to keep out the drafts. ?? The would also add a few ounces I am guessing. ??
As for price, the cheaper the better. I am looking for a 0* bag and its need to be competitive with the Kifaru 0* bag at 2lbs 12ozs and $337. I'm just not sure I've bought into this "dry-down" thing yet.....

I'm with you on the price but quality down costs more than synthetic usually.

From Zpacks.com
1.5 mm Z-Line
.053 oz / yd
Mini cord lock- .04 ounces

So under a tenth of an ounce to add a drawstring to the bottom.

I at least think it should be an option. My feet are really hot in my bag most of the time and I would like to be able to open the footbox a little for venting.