Kuiu Icon pack fit issue?

CoHiCntry

WKR
Just got back from a trip into the backcountry using an older model Icon 5000. All I can say is... ouch! The pack felt like it has a brick for a lumbar pad! I've been backpacking for years with several different packs and this is the first time I've experienced so much discomfort in this area. Of course there's alway's a small amount of discomfort with a lot of weight in a pack but nothing like this. It felt like it was both chaffing my lower back and also bruising it. The pain was extremely irritating. A couple days later I can still feel the soreness if I touch my lower back right above my crack. I tried loosening the waist belt, tightening it, loosening the shoulder straps and over tightening them but nothing worked. Anyone have this problem and is there a fix, or do I just need to get a pack that fits me better? Thanks...

Try shortening the torso length to get the lumbar pad up a little higher. Or if it has the extra foam installed in the lumbar you can remove that piece. Other than that it just might not be a good fit for your back.

OP
CoHiCntry

CoHiCntry

WKR
Try shortening the torso length to get the lumbar pad up a little higher. Or if it has the extra foam installed in the lumbar you can remove that piece. Other than that it just might not be a good fit for your back.

Duh... yeah thats a good idea on adjusting the torso length. I probably should have thought of that. I'll try that and see what happens. Thanks! Anyone else got ideas?

LJ Buck

WKR
Only idea I have is based off of trying most all the Kuiu Packs. Buy a different brand. I went with a Stone Glacier, wife went with a EXO and i have never tried but know Kifaru makes good stuff.

Kuiu packs never handled weight like the other brands. Also the fact they redesign their pack every year shows major flaws. You can call it innovation or just call it failure.

xziang

WKR
Not sure on your pack but the one I'm using I needed to adjust the shoulder straps by 'un-velcroing' them and moving them up or down accordingly so it fit me better.

Get someone to take a picture of you with the pack on and then take a look at it to see where you might need adjustment.

OP
CoHiCntry

CoHiCntry

WKR
I adjusted the torso length so it was a little bit shorter to raise the lumbar pad. Bad news is it was almost at the lowest point so I couldn't adjust it very much. I'll probably be on another pack trip in the next couple weeks so I'll see if that helps or not. Thanks for the replies!

kyle1112

WKR
I have the same pack and I took the leap and figured, "all else fails, I buy a new pack!" , I notched out the "rails" the straps slide inside of to give me about 2" more adjustability. Just got back from a scouting trip with it and it help well with a 50# load in it and the only discomfort was the pad grinding sweat into my skin lol but at upper 80 degrees what can you do.

OP
CoHiCntry

CoHiCntry

WKR
I have the same pack and I took the leap and figured, "all else fails, I buy a new pack!" , I notched out the "rails" the straps slide inside of to give me about 2" more adjustability. Just got back from a scouting trip with it and it help well with a 50# load in it and the only discomfort was the pad grinding sweat into my skin lol but at upper 80 degrees what can you do.

Doing that very thing came to mind. I might try it if the minor adjustment doesn't help. Nice to see someones done it already. Thanks!