Kuiu mountain star 2p

Teaman1

WKR
I’ve found a couple older posts, but would like some more info. I’m just looking for any and all experiences (good and bad) with this tent. If it appears to be reliable in rainy weather, I’m going to buy one for backpack elk/deer hunts

karltime

FNG
I've been trying to decide between the mountain star, hubba hubba, quarter done, and copper spur. Tough choices, I've seen storm star reviews but haven't heard much about the mountain star 2p.

Kuiu messed up the first production run by using crappy material for the fly. Since then most reviews seem pretty glowing. I'd choose it over the hubba hubba or CS because of the poles being on the outside making for an easy pitch while keeping the body dry inside the fly if pitching in the rain. There are plenty of Copper spur reviews out there from people who experienced misting through the fly as well.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Or you could buy a Big Sky tent that the KUIU tents are modeled after, if you want different color choices and interior choices.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The more I look at the KUIU Mountainstar 2p and the Big Sky Revolution 2p, the more differences I see.

The Mountainstar main poles cross twice and have the third porch pole in the center. The Revolution main poles cross once and the third porch pole is offset.

The Mountainstar also has slightly less headroom but has a slightly larger footprint and vestibules.

I suspect the pole configuration of the Mountainstar gives it slightly more rigidity, but IDK if it's a meaningful amount.

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
The mountain star is looking like a safe choice, but part of me wants to go with the hilleberg anjan 2 gt for the extra “storage” space

sneaky

"DADDY"
The more I look at the KUIU Mountainstar 2p and the Big Sky Revolution 2p, the more differences I see.

The Mountainstar main poles cross twice and have the third porch pole in the center. The Revolution main poles cross once and the third porch pole is offset.

The Mountainstar also has slightly less headroom but has a slightly larger footprint and vestibules.

I suspect the pole configuration of the Mountainstar gives it slightly more rigidity, but IDK if it's a meaningful amount.
I was thinking more of the Chinook, not the Revolution.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The Big Sky tents give you different pole configuration options depending on weather you may encounter. 2 poles for 3 season use, 2 UL poles and 9mm crossing pole for 3+, and 3 9mm poles for 4 season use.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The mountain star is looking like a safe choice, but part of me wants to go with the hilleberg anjan 2 gt for the extra “storage” space
What weight range are you looking to stay in? How tall are you? I can't do any of their sloping rear tunnel tents because my feet hit the wall, but the Kaitum series are much roomier, but heavier. There's always a trade off.

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
Under 5 pounds would be nice. That is the one area I’ll take a slightly heavier piece of equipment. I’ll take an extra pound or two to stay dry
I’m only 5’9”

snakelk

WKR
I have used a Mountain Star 2P and it's by far my favorite backpacking tent, especially for the weight.

The integrated fly system makes it super easy and fast to pitch. Also, it's much easier to set up in the wind, not having to fuss with a separate fly. I've had it in downpours and it has kept us and our gear dry. Plenty of room for two and the vestibules can accommodate packs.

I'm 5'9' too, and this tent has plenty of room.