Kuiu Packs

Rogue541

WKR
It’s time for a new pack this year. I’m selling my Icon Pro setup from 2017. Didn’t like how squeaky it was amongst a couple other small things.

Question is, are the 2021 Kuiu packs an improvement? Thought about getting a MR Beartooth or possibly springing for SG. There’s definitely a gray area between way too many pockets and too little for me. Appreciate the input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
Have you checked out Zack Herold's pack review post? If I remember correctly he talked about the squeak on the frame. That was a 2020 frame but I haven't heard of any design changes.

From what I read (Discaimer: I've never tried a Kuiu myself) it's a pretty common complaint, but also something that is pretty simple to remedy...so I would check that out. Despite the squeak it was Zach's favorite system of all the ones he tested so I'd take that into account if I were looking at Kuiu packs.

OP
Rogue541

Rogue541

WKR
Bsnedeker I’ll check that out! Just looked it up and it looks like he reviewed a ton. Thanks!

Lytro

WKR
I have a 2018 and a 2020 Kuiu pack. I haven't had any issue with squeaking in either, but I will say the updated suspension on the newer pack provided a huge upgrade in comfort.

ericF

WKR
Have you checked out Zack Herold's pack review post? If I remember correctly he talked about the squeak on the frame. That was a 2020 frame but I haven't heard of any design changes.

From what I read (Discaimer: I've never tried a Kuiu myself) it's a pretty common complaint, but also something that is pretty simple to remedy...so I would check that out. Despite the squeak it was Zach's favorite system of all the ones he tested so I'd take that into account if I were looking at Kuiu packs.

What was the remedy. I read through some of the review, but didn't get a chance to watch the videos. I have cleaned out the pockets of my Kuiu, but still have a crazy squeak on one side.

I own a Icon Pro 5200 from 2018 new, lots of miles & packs, no squeaks. I guess you never spent miles in a saddle on a horse ? I don't even care if i did?
So even if it did make a sound.. no BFD to me? I don't understand this stuff about noise? I am in a pack more than one or two weeks a year. I just got a 3200 bag to use on my frame & love it.

Jermh

Lil-Rokslider
Bought a Pro 6000 earlier this year, but I never had the older model to compare it to. I've really liked it so far. I did a little hike today with 68 pounds in it. It was about as comfortable as that amount of weight could be I would think. I have not had a problem with squeaking.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
The three of the four guys I know who had Kuiu packs all snapped the carbon fiber frames while packing out sheep or goats. 75% failure rate. So unless Kifaru or Stone Glacier are know building Kuiu's pack, Kuiu would be a hard pass.

I have an old KUIU pack that I scooped up for next to nothing back when their original frames were failing. I cut a couple of carbon shafts and slipped them into the stay pockets to reinforce the frame.

A little tape has ended the squeaking under a heavy load. I’ve had no problems.

But I scored a Kifaru off the classifieds that handles the weight of pack-outs much better.

My KUIU pack is mainly used by my wife or kids with lighter loads now.

FWIW, I’d modify your KUIU pack for the short term and save up some cash. Watch the classifieds and pull the trigger on a Kifaru, SG or MR... whichever fits and feels best and best meets your preference.

OP
Rogue541

Rogue541

WKR
Thanks for all the feedback! I have no doubt a lot of people love their Kuiu packs and I also liked mine for a lot of reasons, (Beats the crap out my my original bi-Mart pack frame) I was able to get 65 lbs of gear into the backcountry with it comfortably but I’m ready to switch it up, my brother has packed out a few bears with his and it held up well.

I think I’m leaning towards giving SG a shot but the 20% off MR right now on GoHunt is tempting. I’ll keep an eye on classified as well.

Last edited: