Pack squeak cure

TheGDog

WKR
Hey Bruce, question.. just noticed your avatar pic again, and I seem to remember you use their DT1 or some other big one from them. How are you getting the bottom of the pack to be so nice and high up like that? I adjusted my shoulder straps (via the velcro adjustment system at bottom of frame) to be all the way down, the thinking being that it'd raise my EMRII up as high as it can go. But it still doesn't look as high up as yours does in that avatar photo! Did you have to do anything special to get it at that height? Which frame of theirs are you utilizing?

Yeah, it's a DT1 strapped to a Hunter frame...looks like it's riding high because I left the snow cuff open and filled it to the top with snivel gear, topped with a Longhunter lid. Just an optical illusion.lightened backpack.jpg

Same pack in hunting mode.

gunbearernight.JPG

It wasn't high end but I used to have an Eberlesqueak and I shoved a stick in the back corner to stop that bitch from squeaking.

Jvhome869

FNG
I have found dry webbing to squeak in buckles. See if you can get some bowstring wax in there where the buckle has its spot on the webbing.

If it's a k-clip, remove it from the webbing loop and goop that wax in there on the k-clip. Don't be shy with it.

Works pretty great on dusty, squeaky boot laces too.
I like using bow wax on a lot of different parts to “lube” them.

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
My pack is driving me nuts.
Need to get this squeak figured out.

Leaning towards athletic tape.

Won't wax just collect dirt over time?

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
Thought I'd throw out an update.
Went with Ozyc's rec and picked up a can of liquid wrench silicone spray.

Hit all the major points of contact twice and let it sit over night. Loaded it up with 40# this morning and did a quick mile and half before work with the bird dog.

Heaven to my ears, not a squeak to be heard.
Just the sound of roosters cackling in the big blue and Canda geese on their morning flight.

Will say there is somewhat of an offending odor, not terrible but not great. Hoping over time that will burn off.

I have an exo and it squeaks too. My old osprey also squeaked.

I don't think I would do the athletic tape or medical tape. I think the extra friction there would cause premature wear on the bag contact points. I would either try the bowstring wax, some Greenland wax that I have for my fjallraven pants, or find a low friction tape.

Cmay

FNG
I have found dry webbing to squeak in buckles. See if you can get some bowstring wax in there where the buckle has its spot on the webbing.

If it's a k-clip, remove it from the webbing loop and goop that wax in there on the k-clip. Don't be shy with it.

Works pretty great on dusty, squeaky boot laces too.
Smart

Fatcamp

WKR
Tore my pack apart last weekend and hit all the contact points with bowstring wax. No odor and silent.

7-Pointers

Lil-Rokslider
I took 1.5" webbing strips and sewed them into a couple of narrow tubes that surround the metal frame at the points of highest friction/pressure between frame and bag..kind of like wearing a second pair of socks to reduce blisters, it eliminated the squeaking. I wasn't comfortable placing wax or other additives that couldn't easily be removed if they somehow made the problem worse over time.

Also, if you go this route, be sure to test the webbing for it's own squeaking under pressure, and test it in the orientation (lengthwise vs crosswise) that you plan to use it, some squeak as bad the cordura, others are completely silent even under great pressure. I found cheaper is quieter, happy to send link to amazon if anyone is actually interested.

cjl32

Lil-Rokslider
My Kuiu pack had never made a sound until this year. I had used it last year during some hot weather and lots of sweat found it's way onto the pack. The sweat salt seemed to dry out and stiffen up the webbing. Put it on this year and it squeaked often. I took my water bottle and wet down the suspected areas and sound has went away so far. I plan on giving the bag a good wash down prior to storage this year.

Warmsy

WKR
That squeak has been bugging the hell out of me for a year with my kuiu pack. I'm going to try different tapes, then wax. Thank you!